Kami-sama no Memochou

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading God's Notebook ?

It was good! Please do more!
97%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 433

pmtr
Astral Realm

Kami-sama no Memochou

Post by pmtr »

I propose this:
Wikipedia article
It has derived in two drama cd and has started a manga. Also has been announced an anime, so it can attract more attention then.
Currently it has 6 volumes, raws or the first 4 are easily available.

*Its about Alice, a loli hikikomori self-entitled "NEET detective", and Narumi -a 16yo koukousei- who resolves cases with the helps of the "NEET detective team" composed by one mili-ota, a kind of gigolo who lives from women, a highschool deserter addicted to gambling and a hooligan who formed a kind of "NEET yakuza".
I've read up to volume 3 and its quite interesting and easy to follow, with good character developments.
Each volume is a case: the first one is figuring out why your classmate (the girl who introduced Narumi to Alice and the rest) tried to kill herself jumping from the school roof -and ended in a coma-. the second one is about a thai girl who pops with a 2-million yen bag asking to find her missing dad. the case includes money laundry, company fraud and yakuza. the third volume is about solving a murder case 4 years before where Tetsu (the gambler NEED) seems to be involved -was that the reason he left school?- and preventing the school club where Narumi and Ayaka -the girl that came back from the coma but with amnesia- gets dismantled.
I haven't finished the 4th volume but apparently is about the missing founder of the NEET yakuza group.

*I have seen some opinions comparing Alice with Victorique of GOSICK. Don't know the LN, but I've seen some episodes of the anime and share some setting (hikikomori, inteligent, detective, moe) but Alice is not so arrogant as Victorique, its much more mature and gloomy. Also she doesn't show up much in the novel. Just a few speeches and phone calls.

*Unfortunately I don't have time nor am confident to translate it in english. But I can proofread it and clear it.

idk, just wanted to recommend it to you and hear other opinions. if you find it interesting to start a project I'll be glad to help proofreading it.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Kamisama no memocho

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

You can build up confidence as you try translating it. I know how you feel, kinda, its a great novel, loved it, and waiting to read volume 5...
I get the feeling its hard to bring out the exact feelings and emotions out.

And there is already a thread in novels&mangas section, but if you are proposing it to be a project you are right to make this new thread, but it seems not many people on this forums have read this wonderful novel, so its best if you can translate it instead.

NEET detectives - Its the NEET thing to do!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

(I was the OP, but couldn't log idk why :S)
Yeah, well I haven't experience with LN, this being my 3rd title. But I also loved it. And I've listened the drama cd (Alice voice is soooo soft ^^)
I hope the anime draws enough attention to translators to take the LN so others can enjoy it. I'm translating the manga for my spanish scanlation group and added the english wiki version to make some advertising.

I also tried translating the novel but I figured its a total different issue. It takes me much time -I'm excessively slow-. I can understand japanese but I totally lack writing and redaction skills. I can handle manga bubbles but sentences of 11 rows long like the ones on a LN is just too much. I can instead proofread and make corrections like the ones I did with Golden Time teaser.

If anyway this is the first 3 pages in spanish. It doesn't even make as a prologue since it starts with descriptions. :
Spoiler! :
El anotador de Dios
Sugii Hikaru
Ilustraciones Kisida Mel
pC1
Esta es la historia del invierno de mis 16 años.
Siempre solo y vacío, creia que la vida era algo que simplemente pasaba. Pero ese invierno conocí a muchas personas. Un boxeador, una comerciante de ramen, un soldado, un mantenido, una detective, un yakuza, una companera de curso. Cada uno caminaba por si mismo aun teniendo grietas en sus corazones. Algunas veces encontrando problemas. Otras haciendo payasadas. Por un momento pense, "¿podre ser así tambien?". Recorde lo que es reir, enojarse, y llorar naturalmente. Al perder tantas cosas me percate por primera vez que no estaba vacio.
pC2
Personajes
"No me molesta que unos desocupados conviertan el fondo en un cuartel, más si no tienen otro lugar al que ir." Min-san
"Soy una torpe hablando. Solo queria hablarte, Fuzisima-kun" Ayaka
"Si hubo un sentido para que estuviera alli en ese momento..." Narumi
"Ser un mantenido es un trabajo, es incitar el instinto maternal. No cualquiera puede hacerlo." Hiro-san
"Esta bien, golpea. Uno se siente mejor golpeando algo. No pienses en nada, solo golpea." Tetu-senpai
"¡Unamos la nacion!" Mayor
"Tus brazos, tus piernas, tus ojos y oidos, tu garganta, tus unas, tus dientes y lengua, y hasta la última gota de sangre, ahora son mis herramientas." Alice
p9
"Es una respuesta primitiva a la gratitud. Dar placer físico. Usualmente nuestros huéspedes son bastante idiotas, y solo se les puede agradecer mediante sensaciones físicas."
"Gracias. Muchas gracias por transportarme."
Cita de "It's the only neat thing to do" por James Tiptree, Jr.
p11
En el invierno de mis 16 años conocí a muchas personas. Un boxeador, un soldado, un mantenido, una detective, un yakuza. Todos eran diferentes tipos de NEET. NEET es una palabra que de vez en cuando aparece en noticiarios y periódicos para describir a jóvenes desmotivados sin empleo, pero en realidad hay diferencias entre los NEET. No todos tienen el mismo motivo para no trabajar ni ir al colegio.
"Los NEET no son personas que no 'pueden' o no se 'proponen' hacer nada.", fue lo que me enseño la detective. "Es solo que las reglas son diferentes. Nosotros ponemos piezas de ajedrez en el tablero donde todos juegan zugoroku.".
"No te entiendo muy bien, ¿dices que estorbamos?", le pregunté inocentemente esa vez. La detective frunció sus labios como cereza y lo pensó un momento. Entonces sonrió.
"Para los que quieren adelantarse somos como un estorbo. Entiendo que nos etiqueten y quieran enviarnos a una planta de tratamiento. Tambien a los que les gusta señalar y simplemente reirse. Está bien que se rían. Hasta lo que puedo expresar en palabras, para la economía de la sociedad nosotros fuimos y seremos un negativo, es una realidad ineludible. Pero"
p12
Observó sus manos abiertas, y levanto la vista. Ahora ya no tenía una sonrisa irónica, sino una sonrisa calida como un día despejado de invierno.
"No nos ridiculizamos a nosotros mismos, asi como los gusanos de tierra no temen a la oscuridad, o los pingüinos no se avergüenzan de no poder volar. Eso es vivir. ¿O me equivoco?"
No supe que responderle. Nunca había pensado en ello. Después de todo, aunque diga esas cosas complicadas no soy mas que un anadaptado social.
Pero ese invierno, vi morir a alguien por primera vez, golpeé a alguien por primera vez. Empezé a pensar un poco en que significa vivir. Viendo a los que dejan de vivir o a los que dejan de morir, supongo que para todos es igual.
Pero esa es una historia de mas adelante. Primero hablaré de una de las personas que conocí ese invierno, una chica ordinaria -no NEET-.
La primera vez que me encontré a Ayaka fue a finales de Noviembre.
Ese martes había subido a la torre de agua en la azotea del edificio sur de la escuela y me encontraba mirando los lejanos rascacielos. Usualmente al terminar las clases voy a la sala de ordenadores y me pierdo en las actividades de su club, pero los dias en los que por la tarde hay clases optativas de TIC muchos estudiantes se quedan incluso después de clases jugando en los ordenadores. (p13)Como entrar allí me resulta bastante incómodo, todos los martes y jueves mato el tiempo en la azotea. Se puede ver la sala de ordenadores en el segundo piso del edificio norte (váyanse de una vez, ya enviaron suficientes señales), suspiro y miro la ciudad.
Esta ciudad a la que me mudé se divide en dos colores. Los divide un delgado rio como una vena de una persona enferma. De este lado hay un techo oxidado de una pequeña fábrica donde apoyados sobre el una fila de apartamentos baratos, y luego la escuela. No se por que también hay tantos templos y cementerios. Mi casa también esta de este lado. Del otro lado del río está la autopista, una gigante estación donde convergen incontables líneas, y alineados en un complicado cruce de pendientes edificios, tiendas comerciales y una estación de televisión. En días despejados se puede ver la sombra del edificio de gobierno. Tôkyô es un lugar extrano. En cualquier parte de Japón hay estas aburridas zonas residenciales y ciudades llenas de edificios conviviendo unas pegadas a las otras.
La zona de la estación, visto desde la azotea, no se siente tan real como en los comerciales de TV. Quizás sea porque no puedo ni acercarme allí. Esta escuela es muy popular porque permiten que pasees por la ciudad con el uniforme escolar. Al parecer estan más de moda los uniformes de marineros de color claro.
Ese día el cielo estaba nublado, y pude ver la pared del edificio que usualmente resplandecía con el reflejo del sol.
I'm waiting until Kadokawa and Dengeki' march releases (want some manga and Golden Time 2 :S) to order together with kamimemo volume 6. Still have to read 4 and 5 but it really looks like each volume is a separate case so I know its a series I won't drop :3
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Zell_ff8 wrote:(I was the OP, but couldn't log idk why :S)
I can understand japanese but I totally lack writing and redaction skills. I can handle manga bubbles but sentences of 11 rows long like the ones on a LN is just too much.
I understand what you mean. I think one of the main reasons why we lack LN translators is precisely because of this. :(
Personally, I think this is vicious cycle, since I personally feel it's more fun to translate a moving project ie. with many translators. Since we really lack LN translators in this world of LN, I have a suggestion. Why not just translate one chapter and put it up as a teaser? Every chapter counts :).
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Thats from the novel?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

Darklor wrote:Thats from the novel?
Yes.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Ah, hmm... could maybe become the first Spanish teaser... ;)

Darklor

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

so now we have two same active topics in different forums eh??
ShadowZeroHeart

larethian wrote:so now we have two same active topics in different forums eh??
Not really, the other one was dead, i just told them it existed... Well, depending on whether they want to start a new project, it affects whether this thread is meant to serve its purpose.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

larethian wrote:so now we have two same active topics in different forums eh??
Huh? What do you mean? Also if they are in different subforums they usually have a different purpose.

Darklor

EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

...I can't... resist...

*enters tsukkomi mode*

@larethian, no need to post that in both topics then bokeeee
@Darklor, if you get this much then don't join the crossposting bokeee

*leaves tsukkomi mode*

Seriously though, should somebody decide to do a teaser or something, I'll do a translation check on it.
ShadowZeroHeart

EusthEnoptEron wrote:...I can't... resist...

*enters tsukkomi mode*

@larethian, no need to post that in both topics then bokeeee
@Darklor, if you get this much then don't join the crossposting bokeee

*leaves tsukkomi mode*

Seriously though, should somebody decide to do a teaser or something, I'll do a translation check on it.
Personally I would say that this series is similar to some of the high-end series, its hard to bring out its essense by just a small part, but its a lot to ask to translate the entire chunk(volume), so its really hard to come up with a teaser. Its not much of comedy if any, but deep emotional story? And its hard to bring it out just by a tiny bit... At least I cant really think of a good part of it to be done as a teaser, unless maybe their first meeting...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

One cant be too sure... ;)

Also what is a tsukkomi mode?

Darklor

Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

Darklor wrote:Also what is a tsukkomi mode?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Funny as it is I think I have already seen that wiki article before...

Darklor

Return to “English”