Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon ?

It was good! Please do more!
96%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 759

caramu
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Kyokai Senjou no Horizon

Post by caramu »

Honestly, i can only think of two or three translators teams here in BT that might have a chance against this project and that´s only if the novel is godlike-level (well it has to if they let the author publish those ironball like books,xD) and they´re interested enough... on the long run you´ll have to rally quite a bit of MIA and KIA, before this project reaches half completion...
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

(Just to chip in from my experience with this author's other work)

I feel oblige to say something due to the amount of flame/trolling everywhere on the internet (well, everywhere save 2ch).

I for one do not plan on translating it, and here is my reason. When I began reading his previous work, 終わりのクロニクル, I have not been so overwhelmed since I read Lord of the Rings. The writing style is a bit hard to read, but that I can deal with (more like high-school level instead of elementary level most light novels at). It is the assumption that you know what's going on that did me in. It's a bit like watching Star Wars Episode 4 without the scrolling info dump at the start, or reading Neuromencer.

That's not to say the story is bad. I like 終わりのクロニクル. Even though I feel it is a bit similar to Baccano (which I can never get into), I like its plot and band of quirky characters. I also love how imaginative its author is. I often have trouble imagining his scenes due to how outlandish they are, even though he is meticulous in his description.

He himself designed not only the plot, but character settings, geographical drawings, even character costumes.

I once recalled another person describing his novels- "You don't pick the book; The book picksyou." If the book clicks with you, you will love it.

And as far as I can tell, Horizon is both more popular and better acclaimed than 終わりのクロニクル.

So screw the haters. Haters gonna hate and passerbys gonna pass by. Even though I don't feel like reading the book, I will be keeping a keen eye on the anime.
唯「もし・・・今後他の女の子に一切ハレンチな事しないって約束するなら・・・わ・・・私・・・私なら・・・」
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

thelastguardian wrote: "You don't pick the book; The book picks you."
That quote was stolen from Harry Potter, I guess.

But why do the poeple hate it? I haven't watched it yet, so I need explanations.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kadi »

kira0802 wrote:[...] so I need explanations.
Ohh yes you do. You get thrown into the middle of... "it". A whole class of people, all with some kind of magic, ninja or scientific special abilities and... no explanations in sight. As if you were a few episodes in. Only... you aren't. Also, I can't recall any overall plot while it definitely isn't episodic in nature. I guess that's the biggest beef people have with this. By the way, no explanations doesn't just refer to the characters, but the world itself as well. And it's not just your high school love comedy, so those would have been very appreciated.

Personally, I don't know whether to like it or hate it. I can't laugh about the jokes that much and the protag is a useless (even in-universe) eroge-fanatic, at first sight, so I should hate his guts straight away, but I don't. Probably due to the end of the (1st) episode, which was surprisingly serious/touching and surprisingly well done at that. That's why I'm a little bit lost with this show for now, but I think I'll keep watching if it manages to retain that feeling from the end of the episode. Going by the teaser chapter on the wiki, it should, though, so yeah, uhm, whatever, make of this what you will.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
jmln1
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jmln1 »

^ This.
I did a review of this for a couple of friends of mine, after reading a lot of the flame/troll wars about this series in 4chan and several forums. The thing is, I think, that, this is a serie with great potential, but awfully planned. For someone that didnt read the novel (like me) but watched a lot of anime series (again, like me) you stumble upon: a short intro, a very long battle secuence, some basic level MC introduction, and 3 minutes of sheer plot, with music in the background. Experience has tought me that this is a very bad sign. Then again, my common sense told me to read a little about it, before discarding it.
On the bright side, I think that the action its nicely animated, very dinamic. And the fanservice is... Well, I dont know a term for this, but is more like a "design-based fanservice". For know, there is no excesive (if not absent at all) cloth-ripping, no over the top pantyshots or anything like that.
Ill keep watching this for a couple of episodes, but for me it was a really bad start.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Is it worse than Kamimemo in terms of adaptation?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Imoutolover
Mikuru's Master

Post by Imoutolover »

It's difficult to get a worst start than with that KamiMemo adaptation... Anyway, Horizon is getting a nice adaptation. The start in the novels is really confusing and all (the same is/will happen with the anime), but it's because that there are too much information to show. I think it's better to have a slow start showing the characters, than showing a lot of info about the world/the situation they are in, to not do this later in the middle of the climax. In the end one of the biggest "problems" with Horizon is that the "scale" is too different from other series...

@jmln1: If you're giving Horizon a chance, then watch until the fifth episode. I'm almost sure that this episode will be the one to make up your mind.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Imoutolover wrote:Ok, created a page for this on the wiki: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... no_Horizon

Don't know if I'm supossed to create a thread in the Teaser Feedback section or if this topic will be the one for the feedback, so I left the page in the wiki without a link to a feedback thread.
Btw. so should I create own feedback thread for this teaser?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Imoutolover
Mikuru's Master

Post by Imoutolover »

Darklor wrote:
Imoutolover wrote:Ok, created a page for this on the wiki: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... no_Horizon

Don't know if I'm supossed to create a thread in the Teaser Feedback section or if this topic will be the one for the feedback, so I left the page in the wiki without a link to a feedback thread.
Btw. so should I create own feedback thread for this teaser?
Oh, I thought this was already the feedback thread :lol:

But if that's the case you can go on Darklor. No problems to me.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon (F)

Post by Darklor »

This is the feed back thread for Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... no_Horizon
Please tell us what you think of it.

Darklor

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I was wondering why we need to have a separate feedback thread? Makes merging the poll a pain.
A-Non
Astral Realm

Re: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Post by A-Non »

While I would post here under a username, I can't register atm. But, after reading a bit, I really would like it to be translated. After watching the anime, even though it's laden with fanservice, which is a good thing to me ( :P ), and having seen the screen shot in the forum about how big each book is, it makes me want to read it even more.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Hm, so it is separate?

Since there is a slightly difference between those two.

One is for the discussion, for the pros and cons of the acceptance of a new series into the Baka-tsuki portfolio of translated series

the other is just a mere feedback thread for a teaser.

Also there are threads for proposed projects without teaser, but also teasers without a thread in this proposal section

to collect each theme in its own section

Darklor

Xanokei
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xanokei »

This would be an awesome read, since I'm superly interested in the anime
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Just to state my conditions, you're only getting me involved in this if js06 and at least another talented and dedicated translator comes along to help. I'm interested, but reluctant to work on the series alone as it's too long and that I have other projects

Return to “English”