Heavy Object

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading HEAVY OBJECT ?

It was good! Please do more!
93%
It was interesting.
5%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 550

gabgrave
Astral Realm

Heavy Object

Post by gabgrave »

Hi, just like to recommend a light novel by the same person who wrote To aru no Railgun, Heavy Object.
Currently the first 3 chapters of the manga based from the novels is translated,

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=55205

Description of story can be found here from mangaupdates:

Kwenser came to the Alaskan military base to study Objects, the new weapons that have completely revolutionized war as we know it – battles are fought by soldiers controlling Objects far away from harm. However, when he starts to get close to Object pilot Milinda, will he discover the grim truth behind Heavy Objects?
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: New Project Suggestion: Heavy Object

Post by Darklor »

What do you suggest Manga or LN?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Darklor wrote:What do you suggest Manga or LN?
Its a LN, same author as "A certain MAGICAL INDEX", instead of railgun, though i think its still the same author?

Not too sure, index didnt give me that good an impression, so I never bothered to try Heavy Object.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
gabgrave
Astral Realm

Post by gabgrave »

Its a LN, same author as "A certain MAGICAL INDEX", instead of railgun, though i think its still the same author?
Ah, yes you are right. I keep forgetting there is no Railgun novel. Still the same writer, Kazuma Kamachi.

Plot is totally different from Index, which was like a thesis of theology vs science, anime style. HO is more of the railgun style, having a linear plot flow, with humor and war horror mixed in. No fantastic magic or esper mixed in, just tech. Since its giant mecha, and the main chara is not a pilot, but just an apprentice engineer, it gives a more unique POV compared to other mecha type story novels plots. Feels like metal gear solid at points too.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

It's more of a sci-fi here. Right now, there are 2 volumes released. Kamachi-sensei sure is fast, already 3 volumes of Index and 2 volumes of Heavy Object this year.
clannadkanon
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by clannadkanon »

Kamachi Kazuma's work will definitely be something to die for!

Please make the translation for this a reality...
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Here is the prologue and chapter 1-1. I will put up a teaser page shortly if no one objects. Good luck with finding a translator. ;)
Prologue

Ultimately, wars will never come to an end.

Even in the age when every inch on the planet of earth had been unearthed by development projects, when high-power laser could easy shoot shuttles into the space, and when certain persons-in-authority could build villas on the moon, it seemed to be impossible to fill up the cracks in the hearts of people.

No, even though it was true that companies that specialized in providing digitalized "healing" and "spiritual supplements" were far from rare, at the end of the day, there was no way to remove the inter-competing mechanism that lied in people's minds.

Isn't the fact that rules of war changes with the introduction of new weapons no more than a perfunctory salvation to mankind? Or even worse, shouldn't it be regretted as a sign of further retrogression?

Yes, there were changes.

Even to mankind, which was into worthless killings among themselves, had changes brought upon them.

The ultra-sized weapon - OBJECT.

The hull alone had a total length of 50 metres. If the length of the gun was also counted the total size was even larger. This new weapon overturned all common knowledge regarding wars. It is not even a stretch to say that it had become much more meaningful to let the troops to focus on preparing the OBJECTs to be deployed to the battlefield in perfect condition, instead of letting them to kill each other in battles.

Tanks, fighter jets - weapons which had been playing major roles in wars were then called "Old Generation Weapons".

Even rifles, cannon rounds and missile were then treated as no more than peashooters and peas.

The combat strength of the ultra-sized weapon of OBJECT was of such an astounding scale.

A certain island nation which introduced the weapon caused fear from all around the world. The test model of OBJECT, having a surprise attack launched upon it by a joint expedition of fourteen nations, defeated all the intruders. By the end of the battle it received a nuclear attack in the Pacific Ocean. With half of its body melting like ice under strong sunshine, it still managed to sink the combined fleet with its remaining armaments. Images from such a scene were even published in history textbooks.

One can understand how strong the OBJECT was as a weapon, from the fact that the said island nation had still maintained the top position in regard of OBJECT development.

Of course, since then the term OBJECT had become a synonym for war.

So.

How about other people?
Chapter 1 - Privates who tied up Gulliver >> Snowy Battle in the Frigid Alaska

Ultimately, wars were simply fights between OBJECTs.

Even if a soldier carefully held a small rifle, there would be nothing he could do.

Even if there were ten thousands, or hundred thousands of troops gathered, even if countless tanks and fighter jets were prepared, the 50-metre monster could leisurely crash them. Depending on the circumstances, it could still move after a direct hit by one or two nuclear rounds. Therefore it was foolish to even attempt to confront them seriously.

That was why it was fine to leave the major roles in war to them.

Having pushed the troublesome main roles to the monsters, the supporting roles could view wars at a distance.

Exactly because of this kind of thinking, soldiers who worked in this base for OBJECT maintenance, or the "Base Zone", were probably a bit relaxed despite of being on the front line.

Even though it was called a base, the major work was to effectively maintain the OBJECT and deploy it.

As long as the troops could secure the base from attacks against the ultra-sized weapon when it had been undergoing maintenance, they could receive remunerations for being "heroes who are prepared to sacrifice their lives to protect the nation".

With the OBJECT, everything was safe.

The OBJECT which had been protecting them was their cash cow. By silently watching it from a distance, countless enemies were crashed. Whenever they made statements such as "it was the result of the group effort of the entire Base Zone" and "because we worked hard to bring about it please remunerate us for our efforts", large sums of hard-earned money from the taxpayers' pockets would pour into their bank accounts.

In reality, wars were taken care of by the OBJECT at its liberty.

As long as the troops maintained possession of it, both their lives and their futures were guaranteed.

Exactly because they had been thinking in such a way...

at the very moment when flames sprouted from their own OBJECT which then exploded, everyone in the Base Zone who saw that immediately fell into panic.

Yes.

Ultimately, modern wars were fights between OBJECTs.

In other words, if the enemy had an OBJECT in possession, the possibility that one's OBJECT may be defeated must also be taken into account.

In the silver white blizzard of Alaska, red flames and dark smoke could be clearly seen.

The young female pilot who had been called an "ELITE" was ejected into the air, but no one even tried to save the loser who was no longer of any use.

Not only that.

As reiterated countless times, modern wars were fights between OBJECTS. Regardless how many ordinary weapons such as tanks and fighter jets could be deployed, an OBJECT could easily crash all of them.

After that, the OBJECT in the base was destroyed by the enemy, while the enemy's OBJECT was roaming freely in the base.

The implication of such was simple enough.

A massacre.

It was totally a massacre. A massacre that sent flesh, bones and organs flying in the air. A massacre that brought about nothing but despair.

There was no longer any way to escape. Even if soldiers in this Base Zone had attempted to escape with no hesitation, it would be a miracle if ten percent of them could manage to survive. No one could recall the most fundamental order in any army to "stay and maintain the battle line."

The hide-and-seek of hell had begun.

A nonsensical hide-and-seek, between a monster with a hull-length of 50 metres and tiny humans.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Will you create the teaser project page too? :mrgreen:

Darklor

Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Darklor wrote:Will you create the teaser project page too? :mrgreen:
Done. :)

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... AVY_OBJECT
vak0160
Astral Realm

Post by vak0160 »

From Wiki wrote:"HEAVY OBJECT" (ヘヴィーオブジェクト) is a science fiction series by Takumi Yanai published under the Dengeki light novel label. Currently three volumes have been published.
The author is Kazuma Kamachi, isn't it?
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

vak0160 wrote:
From Wiki wrote:"HEAVY OBJECT" (ヘヴィーオブジェクト) is a science fiction series by Takumi Yanai published under the Dengeki light novel label. Currently three volumes have been published.
The author is Kazuma Kamachi, isn't it?
Sorry. Already fixed that.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Darklor

gabgrave
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gabgrave »

Good job with the teaser! Came back after a while and found my account got deleted. I'm interested in continuing with the book but need a transalator for some raw translation, I can do editing.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Thats always the problem: to find a translator for the translation while there are so many editors in waiting.

Darklor

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

if you want Teh Ping to work on this series, poll here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4553

Return to “English”