Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
100%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please give a reason)
0%

Total votes: 447

arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Post by arczyx »

Guest wrote:I can't access this series' appreciation thread. :(
Just say it here. As far as I know, a series got an appreciation thread only if they have a subforum.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

arczyx wrote: Just say it here. As far as I know, a series got an appreciation thread only if they have a subforum.
Or when someone creates one here... ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
d&c
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by d&c »

Hey guys, long time reader/lurker here.

I'd like to request an status update/translator for this project if I may?

The two novels that really sold me on the medium were this and Gate back when I was just browsing the site for random projects (before that I had been reading for a while, but nothing ever really made a big impression). Gate never seems to have enough traction to make it past teaser status for various reasons I heard, but I was unbelievably happy when this one was picked up as a full project... before it was systematically and promptly shoved aside.

If no one really wants to translate this, that's fine I guess; but don't leave me hanging! I'd at least like to have the dissapointing certainty that this won't happen rather than the creeping suspision that it'll end badly. But at least I'd like to request a serious translation attempt first.

Thanks for all the hard work guys.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by vermiliongrey »

d&c wrote:
I'd like to request an status update/translator for this project if I may?

Thanks for all the hard work guys.
It's still being worked on. It's currently at 50% completion, will probably be finished and polished by year's end.

The translation will be released in full when the novel is completely translated and polished. Since it's a novel, releasing it on a chapter by chapter basis is kinda pointless and will only do those who can't wait a disfavour.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

By the way, anybody wants to clue me in on what's going on with the Wiki and the changes I made?
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

vermiliongrey wrote:By the way, anybody wants to clue me in on what's going on with the Wiki and the changes I made?
Basically, Akuma doesn't believe you translated it. Just look here. But since I don't really know the truth, I just leave it as it is.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

arczyx wrote: Basically, Akuma doesn't believe you translated it. Just look here. But since I don't really know the truth, I just leave it as it is.
Huh, he sounds mad.

Anyways, I'm going to restore the wiki page to my version. It was a cleaner and better layout. Some notes about what I did:
  • The web version was removed because nobody in their right mind would want to start reading at chapter 19, especially when only 2 chapters exist. It was only cluttering space.

I never removed anybody's credit, all the translators status were up to date.

I have Astrea's blessings for hosting the first three chapters
Akuma, if you want proof that I'm working on this project, send me a email, you have it from our earlier correspondence. And if you REALLY don't like the wiki edits, then go ahead and change them back, I don't need drama over an hobby. If I'm breaking some rule, let me know, I'll adapt the page accordingly.

PS: I'm going to remove this incident from the talk history; I don't appreciate being called a fag out of ignorance and I'm sure you appreciate saving face.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

vermiliongrey, if you find the wiki philosophy of communal effort so objectionable, then why are you even bothering with associating with Baka-Tsuki? Clearly, you have no intentions of contributing to the wiki in an accountable manner since the simple act of registering appears to be beneath you.

You are free to run your own translation site as you see fit.

On the other hand, Baka-Tsuki is by no means obliged to link to your site.

As for the web version, isn't it rather conceited of you to decide for readers what they wish to read or not? And it's quite discourteous to wipe out other people's translations without consultation simply because you deem them to be cluttering space.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

zzhk wrote:vermiliongrey, if you find the wiki philosophy of communal effort so objectionable, then why are you even bothering with associating with Baka-Tsuki?
I don't see where you are coming from since Akuma is accusing me stealing from my own project, which has nothing to do with BTs relevance to me.

To address your comments. I find nothing wrong with the Wiki philosophy. When we are done translating and it's uploaded to Bakatsuki, the community can edit it to their hearts content. HOWEVER, what I do want is to provide a high quality base translation for the community to build on. Now tell me, how do you guarantee high quality when:

You have 5 people with 5 different styles working on 5 different sections of a single novel? Keep in mind there are also hundreds of anonymous edits being made to these works while that's going on.

Consistency is especially important when dealing with novels because that's all there is. Unlike a manga or anime, where you can get tertiary information from the imagery/sounds, a poorly translated book means a dead book.

With regards to linking to my site, I design a web app to provide a better reading experience because reading from a wiki sucks. It links directly to the reading page, not to my website. The original BT links were there and a clear explanation was given, the user could choose which to use at their own discretion.

Lastly, there is nothing conceited about removing the web version. They were removed based on reason that they provide no benefits to the reader. If you can think of a benefit to having those two chapters there beside "it's already there and why not", then I'll gladly cede and leave them there.

Ultimately, all my decisions are made to provide the best experience possible to the readers.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Koakuma
Mikuru's Master
Location: Voile, the Magical Library inside the Scarlet Devil Mansion

Post by Koakuma »

vermiliongrey wrote:
zzhk wrote:vermiliongrey, if you find the wiki philosophy of communal effort so objectionable, then why are you even bothering with associating with Baka-Tsuki?
You have 5 people with 5 different styles working on 5 different sections of a single novel? Keep in mind there are also hundreds of anonymous edits being made to these works.

Consistency in style is especially important when dealing with novels because that's all there is. Unlike a manga or anime, where you can get tertiary information from the imagery/sounds, a poorly translated book means a dead book
True, consistency in style is important when dealing things on text-only basis, however, if you're so intent on the quality of your work then why do you even bother putting your work on a site that "lets hundreds of anonymous editors edit a certain chapter" in the first place?

If you don't like that, then a wiki site isn't for you.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

Koakuma wrote:
True, consistency in style is important when dealing things on text-only basis, however, if you're so intent on the quality of your work then why do you even bother putting your work on a site that "lets hundreds of anonymous editors edit a certain chapter" in the first place?

If you don't like that, then a wiki site isn't for you.
Because Bakatsuki isn't a wiki editor, it's an index of Light Novels. I'm putting it on BT so others can find it and read it. I'm giving back to a community that I've derived a lot of value from.

You have to realize most people visit Bakatsuki to find and read light novels not to translate them.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koakuma
Mikuru's Master
Location: Voile, the Magical Library inside the Scarlet Devil Mansion

Post by Koakuma »

re-read the main page of Baka-Tsuki then
Under Section C of the TLG guidelines:

Under no circumstances would you(b3) 1. take full and/or portion of the (translated) works(a) in this wiki(0) and use them(a) to engage in any commercial activities such as, but not limited to, rent, sell, print, auction, broadcast etc. 2. claim translated works(a) in this wiki(0) as your(b3) own products of translation unless you(b3) are qualified as defined in (b2)
You saying Baka-Tsuki isn't a wiki editor is like saying a box of cookies is filled with water
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

Koakuma wrote:re-read the main page of Baka-Tsuki then
Under Section C of the TLG guidelines:

Under no circumstances would you(b3) 1. take full and/or portion of the (translated) works(a) in this wiki(0) and use them(a) to engage in any commercial activities such as, but not limited to, rent, sell, print, auction, broadcast etc. 2. claim translated works(a) in this wiki(0) as your(b3) own products of translation unless you(b3) are qualified as defined in (b2)
I think you need to carefully re-read the conversation so far.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

vermiliongrey wrote:With regards to registering chapters, I intend to translate the entire novel regardless if it conflicts with another translator since A) I believe consistency in translation style is important for a high quality work. B) I'm translating for reasons other than output efficiency.
If consistency is so important to you, then why are you even using Astrea's translations instead of doing an entire volume by yourself?
vermiliongrey wrote:The translation will be released in full when the novel is completely translated and polished. Since it's a novel, releasing it on a chapter by chapter basis is kinda pointless and will only do those who can't wait a disfavour.
If releasing complete volumes is as important to reader enjoyment as you claim, then why are you posting chapters of an unfinished volume on your site? Why not wait until you actually have a complete volume before publicizing your own site?

By the way, you essentially dismissed all authors who serialize their novels on publications like newspapers and magazines as doing something "kinda pointless."
vermiliongrey wrote:I don't see where you are coming from since Akuma is accusing me stealing from my own project, which has nothing to do with BTs relevance to me.
I don't see where you are coming from, calling this your "own project" when you have yet to demonstrate any past contributions to the project. To any observer, all you did was remove links to translations of the web version, insert links to your own site, and copy Astrea's work. Of course, you may find your actions perfectly justifiable, but you did not communicate your intentions beforehand, which is thus a lack of courtesy.
vermiliongrey wrote:You have 5 people with 5 different styles working on 5 different sections of a single novel? Keep in mind there are also hundreds of anonymous edits being made to these works while that's going on.
Nothing prevents a translator from finishing a volume on their own. The registration page exists for a reason. If you are opposed to anonymous edits, you can either roll them back or ask an admin to lock the page for you.
vermiliongrey wrote:With regards to linking to my site, I design a web app to provide a better reading experience because reading from a wiki sucks. It links directly to the reading page, I'm not even pimping my site. The original BT links were there and a clear explanation was given, the user could choose which to use at their own discretion.
Just because you assert your choices are "superior" does not automatically mean all other readers agree with you. How do you know there aren't readers who don't mind, or even god forbid, prefer the wiki? On the other hand, I fail to see how reading from a GoogleDoc where all the translation notes and references are nonfunctional is a superior experience.
vermiliongrey wrote:Lastly, there is nothing conceited about removing the web version. They were removed based on reason and basic design principles; the existence of those two links provided no benefits to the readers or any other party therefore there was no reason for it to be there ( like how a mod removes unnecessary topics in a forum.) Now if you can think of a benefit to having those two chapters there beside "it's already there and why not", then I'll gladly cede and leave them there.
Since you're so big on reader choice, how do you know there aren't any readers who might be interested in comparing the web and print versions of the novel? How are you so sure that your reasoning and design principles are universally applicable?
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

Sigh, Zzhk, I can appreciate what you're doing but your waging a crusade based on ignorance here.

Let me clarify the situation:
-Astrea and I were working together as a team. She's mia for school or something right now
-if you had actually read Astreas version and the version I had posted, you'd realize they were heavily edited to fit the new style.
-The site is currently down for maintenance, if you read carefully, youd realize the google docs are temporary.
-Go actually look at the page, there was no 'publicizing' going on And there was two links, one to my site and one to Bakatsuki.

how well do you truly understand the situation? It sounds to me like you don't have any context for what's going on.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “English”