Hyouka

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
99%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please give a reason)
0%

Total votes: 571

Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Hyouka

Post by Doraneko »

Title: 氷菓 / Hyou-Ka
Author: 米澤穂信 / Honobu Yonezawa

The book is the first volume of Yonezawa's "Classic Club" series. The only reason I am putting up a teaser is because it will get a Kyoani anime adaptation.

I am not sure if any person will bother to translate the whole thing, but that person certainly won't be me. :lol:

ANN synopsis. Lol at the "energy-saving boy".
The story follows a boy named Hōtarō who is not assertive about getting involved, but was ordered by his older sister to join the classic literature club. In the club, he gets close to the truth about an incident, involving a female member's uncle, which happened 33 years ago. The "energy-saving" boy is joined by an inquisitive girl in this adolescent mystery.
Chapter 1 - A Letter from Benares wrote:Dear Houtaru

I am currently staying in Benares. Although in Japan this place is commonly known as Benares, calling it Varanasi is probably more acurate in terms of pronunciation.

Benares is a great town, Houtarou. This is a town of funeral ceremonies - after all it has been such since a long time ago. It seems like whoever dies here can ascend to the heaven. Or am I wrong?

Oh yes, the place is said to be "free from the wheel of reincarnation." What it means is that dying here is equivalent to becoming an enlightened being by Buddhist sense. In China, a long austerity is required to reach this state of "release". But here you simply pass away and then everything is okay.

Well, that is a pathetic story for the Chinese.

Maybe it is a bit late, but congratulations for being successfully admitted into a high school. It is the Kamiyama High School after all, isn't it? What a boring choice. But congratulations anyway.

As your big-sis, let me give you, someone who has safely become a high school student, a piece of advice.

Enter the Classics Club.

The Classics Club is a humanities club in Kami-High with a long tradition. Also, I am not sure if you already know it or not, but I also belonged to the club in the past.

I heard of this from someone else, but it seems that our tradition-rich club has no new-comer for three years and currently with no member at all. If no one joins the club this year it will be disbanded. As an old girl of the club it is certainly not something I can stand.

However, if there are newcomers in April then the situation will turn out differently. Houtarou, safeguard the Classics Club, the youth of your big-sis. For now you only need to put down your name to join.

Moreover, it is not really that bad as a club. It is particular great in autumn.

After all, you don't have anything to do, do you?

I will call you after reaching New Delhi.

With love
Tomoe
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
rock96
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: [Honobu Yonezawa] Hyou-Ka

Post by rock96 »

Hm... when will the anime adaptation be released?
Teaser is good, but it's too small to catch attention to novel...
"Energy-saving"? I suddenly remembered Type-MOON works. I wonder why...
Kadi - hero we don't deserve.
Honorable mention for moderating and translating Campione, editing Gekkou and Hakomari.
O White Knight standing sadly amidst hordes of filthy plebs, return to us, please.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

The story is more of a slice-of-life with mystery elements mixed into it, which explains the opening pales in comparison with other mystery works in terms of impact.

Even for the mystery, it is not about murder or other serious crimes, but only the more normal day-to-day stuff. Fans seem to love it for the way it portrays youth and school life and the nostalgia out of those. It doesn't really sound like a mystery novel that would constantly keep one on the edge of seat

Likely one has to finish the whole book before being able to make a fair assessment as to its quality. (which I haven't)

Still, it is an award-winning work and it is ongoing for many years with solid reader support, so it can't be too bad.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

The temptation to once again ride on Kyo-Ani's coattails and bring more traffic to B-T is too hard to resist.

Having read the first volume, which is the thinnest of the series, I think I'll do this volume first before moving on to Another.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... tle=Hyouka

Alright, the page is up as a teaser page, pending for oni to update the wiki sidebar so that it appears over there as well.

I've basically copied and pasted Doraneko's translated Chapter 1 over as well as it looks good enough, I'll credit him afterwards once I get the chance. I'll start as soon as possible.
Gwilthyunman

Post by Gwilthyunman »

Hmm... is that the complete translation of c.1? Or just part of it?
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Gwilthyunman wrote:Hmm... is that the complete translation of c.1? Or just part of it?
That's it, really. Though it's called chapter 1, it's more like a short prologue.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Seeing as Oni has gone MIA for weeks, is there anyone else besides Oni that has the authority to add the title to the wiki crossbar? It's quite bothersome to have to come in here everytime in order to get the link for me to continue with my translations.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Seeing as Oni has gone MIA for weeks, is there anyone else besides Oni that has the authority to add the title to the wiki crossbar? It's quite bothersome to have to come in here everytime in order to get the link for me to continue with my translations.
There's still some missing project information like registration page :P. I've left a memo for Vaelis on IRC.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

You could also ask the Boss himself...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Seeing as Oni has gone MIA for weeks, is there anyone else besides Oni that has the authority to add the title to the wiki crossbar? It's quite bothersome to have to come in here everytime in order to get the link for me to continue with my translations.
If I'm not wrong there are 5 people who can edit the wiki sidebar: Darkoneko, Onizuka-gto, Smidge204, Thelastguardian and Velocity7.
I've sent a pm to TLG to ask him to add this project :/
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Who of those is still active, besides the boss himself and isnt at the moment MIA?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Darklor wrote:Who of those is still active, besides the boss himself and isnt at the moment MIA?
Velocity7 is active with White Album.
Shera
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shera »

A friend of mine would like to translate Hyouka into Vietnamese, is it ok?
lastendgin
Astral Realm

Post by lastendgin »

"Guess I'm still inexperienced as a peeing tom"
I thought it's peek?
I hope i can read next chapter, ganbatte :)

Return to “English”