Hyouka

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
99%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please give a reason)
0%

Total votes: 571

Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Hyouka

Post by Cthaeh »

manlyflower wrote:I was also curious if there was a policy regarding drama CDs on the site. I'd understand not being able to host audio files, but yeah. Though this is probably a question for someone like based Cthaeh.
There are a few projects that include the text of drama CD translations, so they are generally allowed. But yes, we shouldn't be hosting/linking the actual original audio files (dang, you reminded me of some other admin work I'm supposed to be doing... I'll pretend I didn't remember).

On another note, you seem to have made a lot of progress. I enjoyed the anime, so I should probably check out the book at some point.
Bellet2002
Astral Realm

Post by Bellet2002 »

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH. I love this series and I'll definitely follow it!
manlyflower wrote:I wanted to ask a quick question.

Would people here be interested in a translation of the drama CDs that supplemented the show? I just learned about their existence the other day, and some of them were pretty cute when I checked them out. It figured I might do those on the side as translating audio is much more relaxing than text.
Yeah, what are they about?

Again, thank you so much!
computerandy9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by computerandy9 »

manlyflower wrote:I wanted to ask a quick question.

Would people here be interested in a translation of the drama CDs that supplemented the show? I just learned about their existence the other day, and some of them were pretty cute when I checked them out. It figured I might do those on the side as translating audio is much more relaxing than text.

I'm definitely curious about the audio drama cd's. So if you are interested in doing them I can assure you at least one view.
Also great work on volume 5, the translation seems very easy to read and is being updated often. Keep up the great work!
PS. Do you happen to know anything about other volumes or side stories that have been released since 5?
manlyflower
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Hyouka :3

Post by manlyflower »

Thanks for the info Cthaeh.
Bellet2002 wrote: Yeah, what are they about?

Again, thank you so much!
Thanks for the feedback. xD They are pretty much just random, inconsequential stories that usually feature the characters in amusing situations or add onto a scene in the anime. Nothing too important, but they might make for a good chuckle.

And I'll be real, I need something Hyouka-related to keep me happy while I wait for the 6th volume to be announced. TT_TT
computerandy9 wrote: I'm definitely curious about the audio drama cd's. So if you are interested in doing them I can assure you at least one view.
Also great work on volume 5, the translation seems very easy to read and is being updated often. Keep up the great work!
PS. Do you happen to know anything about other volumes or side stories that have been released since 5?
So, I had originally planned on telling you there wasn't anything like that, and it's been 5 years since the 5th volume with no news of anything Kotenbu, but after doing a little research, I learned that apparently there are three short stories in the Hyouka series that weren't published in novel format, two of them actually released after the 5th volume, so once I manage to get my hands on those, I'll definitely put them up. It's also reassuring to know that he hasn't given up on the series. XD

I also learned that he actually has a couple more ongoing mystery series under his belt, so maybe I'll try putting one of them up on the site in the future as we all wait for volume 6. XD
computerandy9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by computerandy9 »

manlyflower wrote:
So, I had originally planned on telling you there wasn't anything like that, and it's been 5 years since the 5th volume with no news of anything Kotenbu, but after doing a little research, I learned that apparently there are three short stories in the Hyouka series that weren't published in novel format, two of them actually released after the 5th volume, so once I manage to get my hands on those, I'll definitely put them up. It's also reassuring to know that he hasn't given up on the series. XD

I also learned that he actually has a couple more ongoing mystery series under his belt, so maybe I'll try putting one of them up on the site in the future as we all wait for volume 6. XD
Awesome news!
You're a legend mate.
I do know that Mayakyaa has translated the mirror side story which can be found here: http://mayakyaa.tumblr.com/post/9084926 ... hort-story
But i'm not sure what the quality of the translation is like. I believe it was translated from the chinese version.
manlyflower
Project Translator

Post by manlyflower »

I was reading an interview with the author and I thought I'd translate one of the more relevant questions for you guys. I'm not sure about the date, but he had a massive Q&A session with a popular publication in 2013 so I'm assuming this was one of the questions asked then.
Q8: Why haven't you released a new Classics Club Series Volume?

It's not like I simply haven't, per se, but rather that I can't.
There's fundamentally no way for me to publish a mystery novel from Kadokawa without serializing it. (Hell, I don't even know if there's precedent.) I'd have to do the standard method of taking stories of mine that are already out there in one format or another and then developing them in novel format later.
The Shoushimin series, my first attempt at publishing a novel without serializing the individual elements, had an entirely different set of circumstances involved with it.

The fact that the publishing type switches depending on the volume is really weighing heavily on me. I too desperately want to line the shelves with it.
Once I can finish the remaining steps involved, I'll be able to gradually form it into a novel, so as a result, I would like to offer my deepest apologies for the wait.

If I could do what I did with "Hyouka" and "The Credit Roll of the Fool" and combine already published stories into a novel format, I would be able to publish it, but...
That's also a tough thing for me to work out.
manlyflower
Project Translator

Post by manlyflower »

Hey guys, ch3 is out now.

But aside from that, I was posting here to request that someone or more help proofread whats currently available so I can put up the full text the second I finish. It seems like the Hyoka editors are currently busy, so I was hoping you guys might be able to help.

If you dont know the drill, you can correct small errors yourself and send a message if something doesnt make sense or you want to make a larger change. Thanks!

Also i go back to work today, so future translations will slow down a bit.
manlyflower
Project Translator

Post by manlyflower »

Hey guys. Volume 5 is finished.
It was quite a roller coaster of emotions to translate the last few sections especially, so I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

I'm going to be working on another series by the same author now, The Shoushimin Series, so I hope you guys will give it the same amount of love. It's really similar to Hyouka, so I think you'll like it.

I'll do some translations of Hyouka's bonus material every now and then while I'm working on the above project.
computerandy9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by computerandy9 »

Any idea if the Baka epub generator will update with access to volume 5?
So far it still only lists volumes 1 and 2. http://ln.m-chan.org/v3/series.php?SID=26
Would love to read it on my kindle.
toodotnil
Astral Realm

Post by toodotnil »

I just wanted to say thank you so much for translating all of Volume five!! I've been meaning to read this since the anime first came out and now I finally can! Thanks so, so much! I love this series a lot. Also, I liiiike the idea of reading all the bonus stuff too, haha. No pressure.
But no, really. Thanks a lot for all your hard work!
computerandy9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by computerandy9 »

If anyone is interested in an ebook version of Hyouka 5 I posted one over here:
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/viewt ... 15#p255818

I just updated it today, and I added an epub version.

Cheers!
manlyflower
Project Translator

Post by manlyflower »

computerandy9 wrote:If anyone is interested in an ebook version of Hyouka 5 I posted one over here:
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/viewt ... 15#p255818

I just updated it today, and I added an epub version.

Cheers!
Thanks for this man. I feel kind of bad that I missed some things during editing and now they are immortalized in pdf/epub format, but it's good of you regardless.
computerandy9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by computerandy9 »

manlyflower wrote:Thanks for this man. I feel kind of bad that I missed some things during editing and now they are immortalized in pdf/epub format, but it's good of you regardless.
Yeah i noticed a couple little grammatical things when I was reading. (I'm up to chapter 4 now). But mostly the translation has been really easy to read so far. And a great story too.
Do let me know if you make any edits or changes and I will happily update the ebook.
Hershel L
Astral Realm

Post by Hershel L »

Yesterday I finished reading the fifth volume and I wanted to thank you; really, I mean it. I'm so happy somebody translated Hyouka light novel, since it's my favourite anime. I haven't read the other 4 but I plan to do it. Speaking of the fifth volume, I loved every sentece of it, every word: I like the story and I think that Ohinata is a very intresting character and I'm in love with Honobu Yonezawa's style. I think your translation is very good (but I can't tell if there were any grammatical mistakes since I'm Italian, in fact I'm sure that this post has a lot of errors) and easy to read.
I will surely follow your other projects :)

And I wanted to thank all of the other translators.
13thMuse
Astral Realm

Post by 13thMuse »

Does anyone have any more information about the short stories? I'm particularly interested in "The Long Vacation." It was published in Shousetsu, Yasei Jidai #120.****** Thanks! :D
Last edited by WakuKun on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't ask for raws since it is against the rules.

Return to “English”