Tsukumodo Antique Shop

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Tsukumodo Antique Shop?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
No votes
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 122

cramped
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Tsukumodo Antique Shop: General

Post by cramped »

tsuzuki wrote:Thank you for translating this novel. I like it very much and your translation as well. I'm at my first step in japanese, actually I'm studing it since few time in a private class so we are still stuck to the grammar part. I've tried to translate both novel and manga ( manga are little easier but the "real life language" is really hard to understand... :shock: ). I'm wondering: how difficult is the japanese in this novel? In the one I've read (or at least in the first chapter of Kyou kara maoh) it was not so difficult if you have time and patience ( and a string will :) )
It depends in the novel, EX. slice of life tends to be easier than sci-fi
Patron God of NTRed
tsuzuki
Mikuru's Master

Post by tsuzuki »

cramped wrote:
tsuzuki wrote:Thank you for translating this novel. I like it very much and your translation as well. I'm at my first step in japanese, actually I'm studing it since few time in a private class so we are still stuck to the grammar part. I've tried to translate both novel and manga ( manga are little easier but the "real life language" is really hard to understand... :shock: ). I'm wondering: how difficult is the japanese in this novel? In the one I've read (or at least in the first chapter of Kyou kara maoh) it was not so difficult if you have time and patience ( and a string will :) )
It depends in the novel, EX. slice of life tends to be easier than sci-fi
I see, so something like Kokoro connect should be easier than i.e. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or Chrome Shelled Regios (that have, I guess, a lot of magic-related vocaboulary). What about Tsukumodo? I've read almost the whole first volume and I'didn't find anything particularly strange (about the vocabulary).
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

tsuzuki wrote: I see, so something like Kokoro connect should be easier than i.e. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or Chrome Shelled Regios (that have, I guess, a lot of magic-related vocaboulary). What about Tsukumodo? I've read almost the whole first volume and I'didn't find anything particularly strange (about the vocabulary).
It's a pretty easy read. The vocabulary used is quite basic and the writing is kept simple.
tsuzuki
Mikuru's Master

Post by tsuzuki »

EusthEnoptEron wrote: It's a pretty easy read. The vocabulary used is quite basic and the writing is kept simple.
Thank you for the answer. I'll add the first volume in my next books form Japan wish list.
tsuzuki
Mikuru's Master

Post by tsuzuki »

EusthEnoptEron wrote: It's a pretty easy read. The vocabulary used is quite basic and the writing is kept simple.
Re-reading this thread I found that an user is trying to translate a chapter of the third volume with an authomatic translator. This fact made me wonder if there are many furigana in this novel. I mean usually you use the reading to find the right kanji. Is that so? In the two LN I've tryed there are really few furigana and it' would be impossible trying to translate even a small quote with an automatic trnslato (like google translator or similar).
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

tsuzuki wrote:
Re-reading this thread I found that an user is trying to translate a chapter of the third volume with an authomatic translator. This fact made me wonder if there are many furigana in this novel. I mean usually you use the reading to find the right kanji. Is that so? In the two LN I've tryed there are really few furigana and it' would be impossible trying to translate even a small quote with an automatic trnslato (like google translator or similar).
As many as in any other Dengeki Bunko novel. More than in common novels, but much less than in manga. That said, you can just use an OCR tool to convert the scans into plain text and you're good. (Although I've never done that myself because I don't trust those tools)
tsuzuki
Mikuru's Master

Post by tsuzuki »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:That said, you can just use an OCR tool to convert the scans into plain text and you're good. (Although I've never done that myself because I don't trust those tools)
I see, well it's ages that I don't use an OCR so they may have improved very much in the meantime, but some years ago you still need to make some corrections depending on the font used in the original ( But maybe this doesn't apply to japanese even if they have fonts that make reading a bit confusing, sometime). Anyway I've ordered Tsukumodo first volume so we'll see in one to two weeks (or more...maybe :) )
About automatic translators I dont' use them because they translate both japanese and my mother tongue (italian) in a very strange and often funny way due to the complexity of the grammar and such stuff...
memetichazard
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by memetichazard »

tsuzuki wrote: Re-reading this thread I found that an user is trying to translate a chapter of the third volume with an authomatic translator. This fact made me wonder if there are many furigana in this novel. I mean usually you use the reading to find the right kanji. Is that so? In the two LN I've tryed there are really few furigana and it' would be impossible trying to translate even a small quote with an automatic trnslato (like google translator or similar).
There's some furigana, which actually makes things a bit harder for the OCR to handle, actually. The reliability of the OCR is probably somewhere between 95 and 97%, with most errors being つ/っ or similar misreadings. In any case, two of the tools I'm relying on are JParser and Mecab, both of which can figure out readings on their own pretty well.

Regarding progress, what has happened is that I stopped translation for a fairly long time due to RL issues that nobody really cares about. I'm going to pick it back up. Soon. Incidentally, my initial estimate in terms of how much I could translate weekly was overly high. So.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

memetichazard wrote:There's some furigana, which actually makes things a bit harder for the OCR to handle, actually. The reliability of the OCR is probably somewhere between 95 and 97%, with most errors being つ/っ or similar misreadings. In any case, two of the tools I'm relying on are JParser and Mecab, both of which can figure out readings on their own pretty well.
Honestly if you're getting that low a success rate you're either using the wrong software or your raws are terrible. :?

I've had good success with this: http://mediadrive.jp/products/et/index.html (the e.Typist V14 NEO variant, since I only need Japanese and English). There's a five day trial licence on the page you can use to just do a bulk OCR of whatever you want, or go to the effort of acquiring a copy. I only noticed one tsu error in the 6 pages I went over in detail (even in the ruby as well!) before I decided it was 'good enough'.

It does require you to work out a Japanese UI, but there's a walkthrough on their webpage from memory, and if you stuff it through google translate it produces something vaguely-but-not-quite-like-English that you can muddle your way through.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
layfon1990
Astral Realm

Post by layfon1990 »

any chance we might see the 3rd volume translated by the end of summer?
Zefyris
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zefyris »

(note : there isn't a single spoiler below, so anyone can read the whole post without worrying)

Just finished reading the 7 volumes those last two weeks. I have to say that I was really pleased by that title. I expected good things from it but it was way beyond what I expected.
Also, I'm glad that I didn't know before buying it that it was 4 little stories each time (for the first 5 volumes), or else I may have considered not buying it. Which would have been a complete waste.

Almost each of those little stories were interesting to follow. Rather, they really hooked me in and I had a hard time stopping reading in the middle of one of those little stories. For the seventh volume, since each chapter was following the previous one, I started to read it yesterday and I almost didn't stop reading (except for eating and such) from the beginning to the end.

-The main couple is really likable and their relationship is cute as well as interesting
-the way used by the author to write the novels is really fitting and really well done. Writing at the first person from 2 different point view (tokiya and someone else, usually that chapter's "culprit/antagonist") which alternates every few pages makes for a very dynamic story telling. Seeing the antagonist's thoughts right from the start easily hook you in, and the author is really good at making you think that the characters said things that they actually didn't said, tricking the readers into thinking that they got the answer of the chapter's main enigma whereas it was just a trap by the author. I really enjoy this kind of things, so I was really pleased by most of the chapters' conclusion.
-The fact that among the 4 chapters of each volume, the last one is always dedicated to the relationship of the main couple (in the fourth chapters, those "dual Point of view" are always Saki/Tokiya) is really helping this couple to be likable. Seeing as Saki has almost no emotions and isn't very talkative, the fact that in every volume one chapter is written with Saki's feeling and point of view was a good choice. Without this, it would have been really hard to take interest in Saki. But thanks to this, it's easy to take interest in her feelings. Plus, those last chapters are usually really funny (except for the last two books, but this had to be expected, alright).

The illustrator is doing quite a good job as well. Some of the covers like the 3,6,7 were really splendid. That color image with Saki cutting Tokiya's hair is pretty enough to make a good poster, too.

Also, this is by far the easiest novel to read that I've read so far, so it would probably be a good choice for anyone starting to read LN in japanese. Also, the amount of text per page is pretty low, so they can be read quite fast. I read the whole volume 7 (400 pages) in less than one day, whereas I would have never be able to do that with other light novels I've read until now.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Re: Tsukumodo Antique Shop

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Just finished the third chapter of volume 4 if anyone cares. Is it just me or do I tend to translate stuff with male yanderes...?
Anyway, my current plans:

1. Do the Sweet Chapter 4
2. Edit volume 4 (unless someone else would like to help...? Hahaha, oh boy, who am I kidding...)
3. Do the first chapter of volume 3

At the current rate, I will hopefully be able to finish volume 4 in September.
handsfeet
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by handsfeet »

I just read through volume 1, and it was awesome! The time reading it felt so short I´m on volume 2 now. Thanks so much for translating this and I look forward to further translations :D
winsom86
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by winsom86 »

Just started reading this recently and just caught up to the latest releases. The Yandere and Tsundere is real though
winsom86
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by winsom86 »

So far a huge fan of the series and can't express my gratitude enough Eusth thanks for working on this project :D

Return to “English”