May Your Soul Rest in Magdala

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want to see this novel series translated?

Yes
99%
Not really (Give a reason)
No votes
No (Give a reason)
1%

Total votes: 396

florza
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

May Your Soul Rest in Magdala

Post by florza »

Original Title: Magudara de Nemure (マグダラで眠れ)
Author: Hasekura Isuna (支倉凍砂)
Illustrations: Nabeshima Tetsuhiro (鍋島テツヒロ)
Publisher: Dengeki Bunko (電撃文庫)
Volumes Released: 2

Summary (Taken from JA wiki, translated by me):
It is a world where order is maintained by three great factions, the [Church] which bears the greatest authority, the Order of Clausius possessing influence on par with the [Church], immense assets and military might, and lastly the [Guild of Commerce], an association of merchants and artisans alike.

The alchemist Kusler who was captured and imprisoned because he committed the offense of trying to burn a saint's bones, sold his skills and talents to the Order of Clausius. Together with an old friend, Welland, they were then dispatched towards the town of Grubetti which was close to the front lines.

And then at a workshop in Grubetti which boasted advanced equipment due to being near the front lines, Kusler met the nun Fenesis who had introduced herself as a [Monitor].
The new series by the author of Spice and Wolf, about a nekomimi girl this time (Full, official name is Urle Fenesis. Side note: Looks like a mix of Index + Holo).

Chinese fan translations do exist, so Chinese TLs can actually take this up.

Terminology used:
クースラ = Kusler
ウル・フェネシス = Urle Fenesis
ウェランド = Welland
教会 = the Church
クラジウス騎士団 = the Order of Clausius
商工会 = the Guild of Commerce (Could be something else)
グルベッティ = Grubetti
監視役 = Monitor
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: May Your Soul Rest in Magdala

Post by zzhk »

The Guild probably works best for 商工会, assuming a medieval or pre-industrial setting.

監視役 could be surveillant, supervisor, inspector, etc (speculating without context).
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

監視役 literally means an electronic monitor in JP - and it was mentioned right after saying Grubetie had advanced equipment/installations.

Guild of Commerce could work, though.

Edit: I'm 100% certain it's [Monitor] now, from the twitter. There's a tweet from the urle_fenesis twitter that said, 'I'm a Monitor from your time.'
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

theres is only one vol in CH out right? in any case,
i dont know whats it like for u guys but i think this one is DEFINITELY better then S&W
and thats....i rarely say that since s&w itself is godly
MAIN HEROINES FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

Anybody going to do this, I want to read it hwarr.
Patron God of NTRed
Sacredus
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sacredus »

florza wrote:The new series by the author of Spice and Wolf
TheCatWalk wrote:i dont know whats it like for u guys but i think this one is DEFINITELY better then S&W
and thats....i rarely say that since s&w itself is godly
Do... want... read... this...
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

This is my futile hope of attracting some translators.
As the tallow of flame from the lamp was flickering about, he opened up his eyes.

Deep into the cold night, the surrounding air pricked at his eyes.

From a distance, sound of footsteps could be heard, most likely the patrolling guards coming to change shift.

“How’s it inside?”

Entered a faint sound from between the iron grids.

At the same time the sound of chainmail clattering was being issued.

“Honestly......”

While the furtive conversation was going on, he was conscious of the probing eyesights over this side.

The guard didn’t even possess the courage to peek inside the iron grid.

‘Is he asleep yet?”

“Who knows......from what I heard, he has never gone to sleep.”

“It seems like his his name is Kusler.”

“Kusler......such a loathsome name. I have two of my friends killed by the loan shark.”

Normally, the prison should cause the prisoners to feel fear.

Being restrained on one side of the iron bars, a fact that applied to both the prisoners and the guards, therefore, aside from this there’s no other way to differentiate.

“What’s the charge?”

“Apparently......blasphemy. Something like stealing a saint’s remains......”

Being treated as a freak, Kusler wryly smiled, rekindling his mischievous mind.

Having been confined in the prison for about two weeks, he was already fed up of the light shining from the countless stars hanging in the sky through the iron grid.

“Hey!”

Kusler, who was inside the cell, called out.

At present, it was the season where insects hustle in the prairie.

Suddenly the insects that were making sound until now ceased their action.

However, the chilling cold air extended over instead.

“Let’s talk.”

He was thinking of standing up, but due to the cold weather wearing him out his body was extremely rigid. Being called ‘Kusler’, gaining everyone’s fear, yet in reality he isn’t that much different from the others. Although he is taller than the norms, still his build isn’t that robust. Owing to his violent face, he has never been labeled as handsome. Were he to entered a crowd, he would go unnoticed. He had once fell of a carriage, due to his negligence he got his wrist broken.

Under these circumstances, after spending two weeks in prison, it is only natural that his body had gone frail, while standing up, Kusler could sense the aching pain between the joints and the striking dizziness

Still there’s no way for the other party on the other side of the door to know of it.

Dragging his restrained legs, along with the ice cold chains and iron ball, he closed in to the door with uncertainty, sticking his head out between the iron grids.

“Let’s talk.”

The light was stinging at his eyes, hence, he narrowed his eyes slightly, however this caused him to be all the more scary. On the other side of the cell, the two guards stood still as if they were a rabbit encountering a human in the mountain.

“Rest assured, this won’t cause you any trouble.”
Patron God of NTRed
sam
Astral Realm

Post by sam »

a manga adaptation has started http://mangafox.me/manga/magudala_de_nemure/
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

sam wrote:a manga adaptation has started http://mangafox.me/manga/magudala_de_nemure/
mangafox...wait,thats not the point...read it,and...scary
Vessin
Project Translator

Post by Vessin »

This novel seems pretty good. I hope someone will do his best and translate it.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Something I did out of boredom in holiday.
Spoiler! :
The light flickered, and he opened his eyes.

The icy wind agitated his eyeballs in the middle of this chilly night.

The sound of footsteps on the stairs from afar could be heard, and most likely, it was time for the guards to change duties.

“How’s the inside?”

A voice could be heard vaguely from the gaps of the iron bar door.

At the same time, there was a sound of chainmail rattling.

“He’s quiet…”

He could tell that there were stares he could not see, looking this way together with the secretive conversation they had.

The guards did not have the guts to look through the gaps of the iron bars.

“Is he asleep?”

“Who knows…but I heard that he can’t sleep…”

“I think his name is {{Furigana|Interest|Kusla|margin=12}} .”

“Kusla…such a vile name. I think two of my good friends were devoured by high interests or something.”

The guards of a prison were meant to bring terror to the convicts.

In the sense of being restrained behind the iron bars, the convict was no different from a guard. Thus, there was nothing to distinguish between the two.

“What crime did he commit?”

“I think…it’s blasphemy against God. That. He stole some Saint’s bones and consumed it or something…”

And now I’m being treated as a criminal. Kusla noted wryly, and this ignited the devious streak in him.

He had been imprisoned for approximately two weeks, and was starting to get bored of counting the stars shining through the metal bars on the window.

“Oi!”

Kusla called out from within the cell.

The place was like grassland, filled with autumn insects chirping away as they strolled.

The bugs that were still buzzing up till this point immediately stopped in unison.

However, the icy wind continued to expand its territory.

“Let’s chat.”

He wanted to stand up, but his cold and tired body was extremely stiff. This man, {{Furigana|Interest|Kusla|margin=12}}, was feared by everyone, but in fact, he was no different from everyone else. His height was slightly above average, but his physique was not that strong. He thought that he had a fearless-looking face, but he was never called a handsome man. If he were to mix in with the crowd, nobody would recognize him. He was once knocked down by a carriage, and broke his wrist due to neglect.

In that situation, the 2 weeks of prison life would naturally cause his body to weaken. Kusla felt the pain on his joints and a slight dizziness as he stood up.

However, the people on the other side of the cell did not know this.

Kusla dragged the icy cold shackle and ball on his feet as he staggered towards the prison door, and brought his face to the iron bars.

“Let’s talk.”

The light hurt his eyes, and he narrowed them slightly, but it seemed to make his face look heinous. The two guards on the other side of the bars just stood there, looking like hares who coincidentally met a human.

“Relax. This won’t be bad to you.”

Kusla tried to smile, but he understood that in this situation, this smile would send chills in others.

“I just have something I want to ask of you…”

The requests made by people in prison are mostly the same, whether it’s a request for warmth, a request for food, a permit to write letters, or a plea to kill them sooner.

The two guards recoiled back, having been used to hearing these words.

They looked at each other, and the elder one spoke,

“Wha-what kind of request?”

“Hm, it’s very simple.”

Kusla answered as he pointed through the gap between the bars, and said,

“Can you get that key to open this door?”

Badum. A sound similar to that ostensibly rang as the two guards’ jaws dropped.

It was already past midnight, and this was the devil’s time, where even the priests were asleep.

The two guards recoiled, seemingly startled as they raised their spears, and said,

“Y-you idiot! There’s no way we can do that!”

“Of course, you won’t be doing this without payment.”

The guards had to endure the cold with the prisoner in the middle of the night and watch them; and this was a very difficult job. Even so, there was a reason why everyone flocked over whenever there was a request to be a guard, not only because of the pay, but also they hoped to get bribes from the criminals.

The two guards glanced at each other, and this unwittingly revealed that they were overpowered by the pressure.

However, it was a fact that two people together could raise their courage.

This time, the younger one spoke,

“Yo-you’re already granted the death penalty by the Church, and you’re no different from a dead person now. In this case…why should we agree to your deal? If it’s an appeal, we can listen. Know your place here!”

“Fine, just open this door like usual and strip everything from me.”

If they could.

It was common to see people imprisoned for stealing bread, their standing snatched away, abandoned in this harsh cold and dying. This was a prison, a dreaded place.

But despite the dread and the fear, the convicts who were driven to the places that could not be seen were the most terrifying.

That was why the prison was built in the shape of a spire, and was often built at a place furthest away from people, yet the one place that could be spotted most clearly, the bridge above the river passing through the city center.

The guards were speechless; if they were fooled by the rhetoric of the convict, their pride as guards would be at stake.

“Ev-everything that belongs to a man convicted by the Church belongs to the Church, whether it’s clothes, inheritance or life…that’s why we can’t snatch them.”

They did not dare to enter such a terrifying cell, but they wanted to protect their dignity as guards.

And then, they found a good excuse to this tough issue at the same time.

But Kusla merely shrugged as he rummaged through the inside of his shirt, and ignored their excuses as he said,

“Hey, didn’t I say that I won’t let you do this for nothing? Let me show you something good.”

“…So-something good?”

“Right. Haven’t you encountered one or two things that infuriate you at work?”

“…”

The guards probably did not understand the other man’s words, and they were ostensibly drunk as they spotted 2 shadows in front of them as they frowned at Kusla.

“Especially your superior and your colleagues, your superior.”

“Su…perior?”

“Right. Those incompetent guys can boast proudly with their heads high because of their well-off families. In this city, there’re families like the Luts amily, the Barrows family, the Judith family, all acting high and mighty with their large swords on their waists as they gallop on their horses while looking all important, drink their ales while sitting in front of the fireplace, and sleep on the lambskin bed. In the day, they’ll come around casually and take away the little amount of money you managed to earn from the convicts as consolation during the night, and you can only feel indignation. In this sense, I don’t know who the prisoners really are.”

As expected, the duo exchanged looks.

But this time, they gulped in unison.

“…What’s this…good thing?”

Baited.

Kusla grinned, and that devious smile was tempting the duo.

“This little thing.”

Kusla took out the little bottle from his clutches, and shook it in front of the iron bars.

The duo’s stares were pursuing the little bottle like a kitten.

“Just slip a little of the contents in the bottle into the food of the one you hate.”

In an instant, their faces changed expressions.

This time, the duo did not look at each other directly, but glanced aside.

Oi…don’t tell me this is…

Kusla felt that he heard out their true thoughts.

There were very few people who were given the ominous title of ‘Interest’, the death penalty by the Church, and left in the cell. To Kusla, there was ample reason to look forward to seeing the guards embrace the darkness.

Both of them stepped forward in unison.

“What…exactly is inside?”

“Arsenic.”

“Arsenic?”

“And this is refined from the finest Realgar. In the past, a guy who used to work with me licked it out of his unrestrained curiosity.”

“Lick-licked it?”

“Yeah. People like us are hopeless idiots. We have to try such things when we get them. it’s like an addiction. So that fool who licked it…”

“What happened…to the fool?”

Kusla shrugged and said,

“Nothing happened.”

“…Huh?”

Both of them cried out, and this was the instant of furor over being tricked.

“But on the next morning, when I walked into that guy’s room, I found his skin all rotten, his face was charred black, his hands were shriveled, and he looked like a burnt corpse. It really shocked me. The myths behind the assassination of the ancient King of Aeolus was true, and this was the one that caused it.

Kusla shook the little bottle again.

“The good thing about this thing is that the person won’t die upon eating it. There’s a time interval, which means that you won’t be suspected. The corpse will be really ugly. That person will look like he’s been abandoned by God, and people will think this is divine retribution. Nobody will actually think that the powder in this little bottle is the cause of it, right?”

Kusla’s smile deepened as he listened to the duo who looked extremely serious.

“Can you please open the door if I use this powder as exchange?”

It was midnight, the sun had long set, and even the servants of God had already slept, so there was no one keeping watch other than these two. Both of them stared at Kusla, seemingly haunted by him. In this filthy world, there was no one who would not want to kill one or two of their sworn enemies.

“…”

The two guards had beads of sweat dripping in the midst of this cold, and they were all stiff.

However, their eyes were showing that they were trying to forgive each other of their sins.

Kusla chuckled, and the keys on a guard’s waist rattled.

This was a bad dream of darkness and nightmare tempting them.

There was nothing wrong with this.

If there was anything to blame for, it would be God for creating an ‘opposite’.

“Ar-are you serious…”

The man with the chain of keys on his waist spoke with a hoarse voice.

That hand immediately reached for the keys, and was about to fall.

As Kusla’s grin was about to reach its peak, God’s thunder roared.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”

If there was a roar that could kill, this would likely be the one.

The guards were shocked, seemingly startled, and tumbled clumsily as they were probably trying to return back.

As they collapsed on the floor, they lifted their heads and looked at the voice, and at that moment, they firmly felt that they were the real prisoners.

Because, there was the warden, who held authority over this prison, a high ranking knight dressed in glamorous clothing, with a white beard that ostensibly accumulated sunlight.

“I should have emphasized this over and over again that you’re not to talk with this man. If you talk with you, you’ll encounter danger. Those who act outside the law will be deemed as heretics, and you won’t be able to stand in front of God again!”

“!...!...”

The two guards ostensibly forgot to breathe as they panted, and the old knight casually approached the cell. Kusla looked behind this old knight and spotted two young knights who came in a little later. One could tell on first glance that they were well-trained, vastly different from the guards.

They had metal helmets that covered their faces fully.

These were probably to resist Kusla’s rhetoric, the ‘magic’ people often talked about.

“You sure came late.”

“The verdict’s out.”

“A burning at the stake?”

“Don’t tell me you’re starting to worry about your life here?”

Kusla shrugged, and backtracked a few steps from the gate.

A young knight forcefully snatched the keys from the collapsed guard, and it let out a rattling sound.

“Come out, Kusla.”

And then, the heavy cell door opened.

“The Unsleeping Alchemist.”
2075 words in total. Done in 3 hours. Still rusty.
notasbakaasbakatsuki
Astral Realm

Post by notasbakaasbakatsuki »

Will people one day make the link between the Japanese verb "nemuru" and English verb "rest" from the English title?
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

Teh_ping wrote:Something I did out of boredom in holiday.
Spoiler! :

The sound of footsteps on the stairs from afar could be heard, and most likely, it was time for the guards to change duties.

“How’s the inside?”

“He’s quiet…”

He could tell that there were stares he could not see, looking this way together with the secretive conversation they had.

“Is he asleep?”

“Kusla…such a vile name. I think two of my good friends were devoured by high interests or something.”

In the sense of being restrained behind the iron bars, the convict was no different from a guard. Thus, there was nothing to distinguish between the two.

“I think…it’s blasphemy against God. That. He stole some Saint’s bones and consumed it or something…”

And now I’m being treated as a criminal. Kusla noted wryly, and this ignited the devious streak in him.

He had been imprisoned for approximately two weeks, and was starting to get bored of counting the stars shining through the metal bars on the window.

“Oi!”

The place was like grassland, filled with autumn insects chirping away as they strolled.

The bugs that were still buzzing up till this point immediately stopped in unison.

“Let’s chat.”

He wanted to stand up, but his cold and tired body was extremely stiff. This man, {{Furigana|Interest|Kusla|margin=12}}, was feared by everyone, but in fact, he was no different from everyone else. His height was slightly above average, but his physique was not that strong. He thought that he had a fearless-looking face, but he was never called a handsome man. If he were to mix in with the crowd, nobody would recognize him. He was once knocked down by a carriage, and broke his wrist due to neglect.

In that situation, the 2 weeks of prison life would naturally cause his body to weaken. Kusla felt the pain on his joints and a slight dizziness as he stood up.

Kusla dragged the icy cold shackle and ball on his feet as he staggered towards the prison door, and brought his face to the iron bars.

“Let’s talk.”

The light hurt his eyes, and he narrowed them slightly, but it seemed to make his face look heinous. The two guards on the other side of the bars just stood there, looking like hares who coincidentally met a human.

Kusla tried to smile, but he understood that in this situation, this smile would send chills in others.

The requests made by people in prison are mostly the same, whether it’s a request for warmth, a request for food, a permit to write letters, or a plea to kill them sooner.

“Hm, it’s very simple.”

It was already past midnight, and this was the devil’s time, where even the priests were asleep.

The two guards recoiled, seemingly startled as they raised their spears, and said,

The guards had to endure the cold with the prisoner in the middle of the night and watch them; and this was a very difficult job. Even so, there was a reason why everyone flocked over whenever there was a request to be a guard, not only because of the pay, but also they hoped to get bribes from the criminals.

The two guards glanced at each other, and this unwittingly revealed that they were overpowered by the pressure.

“Yo-you’re already granted the death penalty by the Church, and you’re no different from a dead person now. In this case…why should we agree to your deal? If it’s an appeal, we can listen. Know your place here!”

If they could.

It was common to see people imprisoned for stealing bread, their standing snatched away, abandoned in this harsh cold and dying. This was a prison, a dreaded place.

But despite the dread and the fear, the convicts who were driven to the places that could not be seen were the most terrifying.

That was why the prison was built in the shape of a spire, and was often built at a place furthest away from people, yet the one place that could be spotted most clearly, the bridge above the river passing through the city center.

The guards were speechless; if they were fooled by the rhetoric of the convict, their pride as guards would be at stake.

“Ev-everything that belongs to a man convicted by the Church belongs to the Church, whether it’s clothes, inheritance or life…that’s why we can’t snatch them.”

They did not dare to enter such a terrifying cell, but they wanted to protect their dignity as guards.

But Kusla merely shrugged as he rummaged through the inside of his shirt, and ignored their excuses as he said,

“Hey, didn’t I say that I won’t let you do this for nothing? Let me show you something good.”

“…So-something good?”

“…”

The guards probably did not understand the other man’s words, and they were ostensibly drunk as they spotted 2 shadows in front of them as they frowned at Kusla.

“Su…perior?”

“Right. Those incompetent guys can boast proudly with their heads high because of their well-off families. In this city, there’re families like the Luts amily, the Barrows family, the Judith family, all acting high and mighty with their large swords on their waists as they gallop on their horses while looking all important, drink their ales while sitting in front of the fireplace, and sleep on the lambskin bed. In the day, they’ll come around casually and take away the little amount of money you managed to earn from the convicts as consolation during the night, and you can only feel indignation. In this sense, I don’t know who the prisoners really are.”

Baited.

“This little thing.”

Kusla took out the little bottle from his clutches, and shook it in front of the iron bars.

“Just slip a little of the contents in the bottle into the food of the one you hate.”

There were very few people who were given the ominous title of ‘Interest’, the death penalty by the Church, and left in the cell. To Kusla, there was ample reason to look forward to seeing the guards embrace the darkness.

“Arsenic.”

“Arsenic?”

“And this is refined from the finest Realgar. In the past, a guy who used to work with me licked it out of his unrestrained curiosity.”

“Lick-licked it?”

“Yeah. People like us are hopeless idiots. We have to try such things when we get them. it’s like an addiction. So that fool who licked it…”

Kusla shrugged and said,

“Nothing happened.”

“…Huh?”

“But on the next morning, when I walked into that guy’s room, I found his skin all rotten, his face was charred black, his hands were shriveled, and he looked like a burnt corpse. It really shocked me. The myths behind the assassination of the ancient King of Aeolus was true, and this was the one that caused it.

“The good thing about this thing is that the person won’t die upon eating it. There’s a time interval, which means that you won’t be suspected. The corpse will be really ugly. That person will look like he’s been abandoned by God, and people will think this is divine retribution. Nobody will actually think that the powder in this little bottle is the cause of it, right?”

It was midnight, the sun had long set, and even the servants of God had already slept, so there was no one keeping watch other than these two. Both of them stared at Kusla, seemingly haunted by him. In this filthy world, there was no one who would not want to kill one or two of their sworn enemies.

“…”

The two guards had beads of sweat dripping in the midst of this cold, and they were all stiff.

However, their eyes were showing that they were trying to forgive each other of their sins.

“Ar-are you serious…”

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”

The guards were shocked, seemingly startled, and tumbled clumsily as they were probably trying to return back.

As they collapsed on the floor, they lifted their heads and looked at the voice, and at that moment, they firmly felt that they were the real prisoners.

Because, there was the warden, who held authority over this prison, a high ranking knight dressed in glamorous clothing, with a white beard that ostensibly accumulated sunlight.

“I should have emphasized this over and over again that you’re not to talk with this man. If you talk with you, you’ll encounter danger. Those who act outside the law will be deemed as heretics, and you won’t be able to stand in front of God again!”

“!...!...”

The two guards ostensibly forgot to breathe as they panted, and the old knight casually approached the cell. Kusla looked behind this old knight and spotted two young knights who came in a little later. One could tell on first glance that they were well-trained, vastly different from the guards.

These were probably to resist Kusla’s rhetoric, the ‘magic’ people often talked about.

“You sure came late.”

“The verdict’s out.”

A young knight forcefully snatched the keys from the collapsed guard, and it let out a rattling sound.

“Come out, Kusla.”

facepalmdude,my man~u DO know that people in FB are thinking u will start this as an official project do u not?
[or was that actually ur intention?]
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

I am not thinking lol XD.
Patron God of NTRed
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

Teh_ping wrote:Something I did out of boredom in holiday.
Spoiler! :

“How’s the inside?”

“He’s quiet…”

“Is he asleep?”

“Oi!”

“Let’s chat.”

“Let’s talk.”

“Hm, it’s very simple.”

If they could.

“…So-something good?”

“…”

“Su…perior?”

Baited.

“This little thing.”

“Arsenic.”

“Arsenic?”

“Lick-licked it?”

Kusla shrugged and said,

“Nothing happened.”

“…Huh?”

“…”

“Ar-are you serious…”

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”

“!...!...”

“You sure came late.”

“The verdict’s out.”

“Come out, Kusla.”

Spoiler! :
considering the title, shouldn't the 'Unsleeping Alchemist' be the 'Restless Alchemist'?
Alice is my waifu

wiki page

Return to “English”