Shippai Kinshi! Kanojo No Himitsu Wa Morasanai!

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should Failure is Forbidden! be translated?

Yes
97%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
No votes
No (Please give a reason)
3%

Total votes: 144

hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Shippai Kinshi! Kanojo No Himitsu Wa Morasanai!

Post by hayashi_s »

iamadooddood wrote:
hayashi_s wrote:in umd, the dog is called Rabbi in the official spelling. Does that make Frey and Loki Jews? No, it just means the author doesn't understand that ラッビ will not translate nicely into English. So I changed it at my own discretion to Rabi. Likewise, here the TL should use his own discretion and not blindly follow something just because it's "official".
Depends on how it was intended to be spelled as then. Also it doesn't mean that just because the kana used spells Rabbi in romaji form the official spelling will be Rabbi too. Keep in mind that this is katakana and not hiragana so I highly doubt that it was intended to be spelled as "Rabbi".

After reading all these posts, I think I should stay away from trying to translate this LN after all.
Are you blind? I just said the official spelling IS rabbi. It's written in the book for crying out loud. If the kana used is ラッビ your only alternative is ravvi and even japanese authors aren't stupid enough to put that as a name. So what if it's katakana? Your comprehension of the Japanese language is very disturbing. Do you think that katakana and hiragana have separate syllables or something?

By your marvellous logic we should all be spelling Tokyo as Toukyou. Hey, check out the Toukyou Tower! I heard this year comiket at Toukyou was a blast! Man, Toukyou is summer is so hot. I went to Toukyou and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.

After reading all your posts, I think you should stay away from everything, since you get hung up on something as simple as a name.
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

hayashi_s wrote:Are you blind? I just said the official spelling IS rabbi. It's written in the book for crying out loud. If the kana used is ラッビ your only alternative is ravvi and even japanese authors aren't stupid enough to put that as a name. So what if it's katakana? Your comprehension of the Japanese language is very disturbing. Do you think that katakana and hiragana have separate syllables or something?

After reading all your posts, I think you should stay away from everything, since you get hung up on something as simple as a name.
Oh, so THAT'S what you meant. My bad.

Nah, it's just that I didn't get what you were trying to say. But now that I now do...

Actually the actual kana is ラビ not ラッビ. And if it's katakana there's even less reason to change spelling on your own, since it's even more likely to be the author's intention to spell it as Rabbi, in that case. It's like using Flay when the official spelling is Frey. Is that what you're doing as well?

Not that, because (according to Wikipedia) "the katakana syllabary is primarily used for transcription of foreign language words into Japanese and the writing of loan words", and what I'm referring to is not the katakana itself, but the foreign words the katakana are transcribed from. (Certain Japanese words use katakana as well, so these words too.)
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

iamadooddood wrote:
hayashi_s wrote:Are you blind? I just said the official spelling IS rabbi. It's written in the book for crying out loud. If the kana used is ラッビ your only alternative is ravvi and even japanese authors aren't stupid enough to put that as a name. So what if it's katakana? Your comprehension of the Japanese language is very disturbing. Do you think that katakana and hiragana have separate syllables or something?

Oh, so THAT'S what you meant. My bad.

Nah, it's just that I didn't get what you were trying to say. But now that I now do...

Actually the actual kana is ラビ not ラッビ. And if it's katakana there's even less reason to change spelling on your own, since it's even more likely to be the author's intention to spell it as Rabbi, in that case. It's like using Flay when the official spelling is Frey. Is that what you're doing as well?

Not that, because (according to Wikipedia) "the katakana syllabary is primarily used for transcription of foreign language words into Japanese and the writing of loan words", and what I'm referring to is not the katakana itself, but the foreign words the katakana are transcribed from.
English speakers will not pronounce Rabbi as Rabi. They will take one look and wonder why Frey's dog is Jewish. Also, I have been using Frey consistently, no idea where you pulled out Flay from. Clearly I changed it because I know how the pronunciation sounds like and Rabi in English is closer to ラビ rather than insinuating the dog preaches at a synagogue.
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

hayashi_s wrote:English speakers will not pronounce Rabbi as Rabi. They will take one look and wonder why Frey's dog is Jewish. Also, I have been using Frey consistently, no idea where you pulled out Flay from. Clearly I changed it because I know how the pronunciation sounds like and Rabi in English is closer to ラビ rather than insinuating the dog preaches at a synagogue.
Fair enough. Well the manga adaptation started out using Flay. And Rabi. On the other hand, if the author really wanted it to be Rabbi...

Ok now back to topic. Illustration in question here, make of it what you will.
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

2 more pages after a long time...............................................before I scrap the whole chapter
Patron God of NTRed
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

hayashi_s wrote:
If the kana used is ラッビ your only alternative is ravvi and even japanese authors aren't stupid enough to put that as a name.
Uhm, could it have been with ravvi a Ravier?

Just asking since I dont know how a Japanese would hear that...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Darklor wrote:
hayashi_s wrote:If the kana used is ラッビ your only alternative is ravvi and even japanese authors aren't stupid enough to put that as a name.
Uhm, could it have been with ravvi a Ravier?

Just asking since I dont know how a Japanese would hear that...
"Ravi" is a male, hindi boy's name, which seems perfectly fine for a dog. Though in any event, apparently the official Englishification is "rabbi", pronounced rabb-ee and not rabb-eye which is the jewish rabbi, so if it's that disconcerting for people just add a footnote at the first use of it in each volume of the novel for the first couple of volumes about the pronunciation and people will survive. :P
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Sabru25
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

LN access/hosting question

Post by Sabru25 »

So, my curiosity has been caught by Shippai Kinshi! Kanojo No Himitsu Wa Morasanai!. quite the interesting theme and story.

unfortunately, trying to find it in a readable form is proving a bit tricky. the 'full text' link goes to a blog that is restricted access and the chapter links to hellping.org, while handy, go to copies that are so laden with typos and jumbled text that it's very hard to read.

My question is: are these the only places that they can be found? does teh ping have plans to clean up the text versions on his site?

As always, thanks to the folks who've translated it so far.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: LN access/hosting question

Post by Mystes »

Sabru25 wrote: My question is: are these the only places that they can be found? does teh ping have plans to clean up the text versions on his site?
Yes. Unless someone offers to clean up the chapters, they unfortunately won't be proofread to be honest.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.

Return to “English”