Shippai Kinshi! Kanojo No Himitsu Wa Morasanai!

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should Failure is Forbidden! be translated?

Yes
97%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
No votes
No (Please give a reason)
3%

Total votes: 144

iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Shippai Kinshi! Kanojo No Himitsu Wa Morasanai!

Post by iamadooddood »

I'm suddenly interested in this LN.

Volume 2 spells his name as Syou. With a y not a h. Just sayin'.

Wonder why the Chinese translators stopped at vol 2 chapter 1 though. And why that missing part in V1C5 is still missing...

Also, the epilogue has been translated as a translation of the day.
Last edited by iamadooddood on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
cramped
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cramped »

iamadooddood wrote:I'm suddenly interested in this LN.

Volume 2 spells his name as Syou. With a y not a h. Just sayin'.

Wonder why the Chinese translators stopped at vol 2 chapter 1 though. And why that missing part in V1C5 is still missing...
If you mean kira then go ask him, but if you mean me then I just got approval from ping and just started working on it again.
For the spelling blame kira since he is the one who used it first XD.
Patron God of NTRed
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

cramped wrote:If you mean kira then go ask him, but if you mean me then I just got approval from ping and just started working on it again.
Wait, what?

Anyway, I think the whole chapter 1 might need editing.
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

iamadooddood wrote:
cramped wrote:If you mean kira then go ask him, but if you mean me then I just got approval from ping and just started working on it again.
Wait, what?

Anyway, I think the whole chapter 1 might need editing.
Why so?I think it is fine to use Shou instead of Syou.
Patron God of NTRed
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

cramped wrote:Why so?I think it is fine to use Shou instead of Syou.
Because if the translations ever get to volume 2, it would so clash with the names given in one of the the illustrations?
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

iamadooddood wrote:
cramped wrote:Why so?I think it is fine to use Shou instead of Syou.
Because if the translations ever get to volume 2, it would so clash with the names given in one of the the illustrations?
I also use Shou since I like it better XD.
Patron God of NTRed
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

cramped wrote:I also use Shou since I like it better XD.
Suddenly I lost interest in translating this series.

Too bad the Chinese translations are only up to volume 2 chapter 1 anyway.

Seeing a sudden influx of MF Bunko J light novels receiving anime adaptations, any chance of this going to get its own anytime soon?
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Bump for large time difference between my 2 posts.

Apparently the series only has 2 volumes. Can't believe how long it took for me to notice that...
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I always thought that I replied to the Syou/Shou thing. Apparently I didn't.

At the time when I started translating, only one volume was out and I had to hunt for Japanese names. And I got them. However, it seems that the author romanized the name differently. It should be read as "Shō" or something, not "Si-you". Anyway, it's a translation choice.

Go ahead if you want to translate the series with the MC's name as "Syou". Though I honestly prefer "Shou", this can be easily copied-replaced if a reader wants it a way or another.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Kira0802 wrote:I always thought that I replied to the Syou/Shou thing. Apparently I didn't.

At the time when I started translating, only one volume was out and I had to hunt for Japanese names. And I got them. However, it seems that the author romanized the name differently. It should be read as "Shō" or something, not "Si-you". Anyway, it's a translation choice.

Go ahead if you want to translate the series with the MC's name as "Syou". Though I honestly prefer "Shou", this can be easily copied-replaced if a reader wants it a way or another.
Isn't it always best to follow however the author spells it? If the official spelling is "Syou" then it's only logical to follow it right?
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

iamadooddood wrote: Isn't it always best to follow however the author spells it? If the official spelling is "Syou" then it's only logical to follow it right?
If it's logical for you to go with Syou,go with Syou then. Just mention in a note that it should be pronounced "Shou".
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

iamadooddood wrote:Isn't it always best to follow however the author spells it?
No. No, it's not
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

in umd, the dog is called Rabbi in the official spelling. Does that make Frey and Loki Jews? No, it just means the author doesn't understand that ラッビ will not translate nicely into English. So I changed it at my own discretion to Rabi. Likewise, here the TL should use his own discretion and not blindly follow something just because it's "official".
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

iamadooddood wrote:Isn't it always best to follow however the author spells it? If the official spelling is "Syou" then it's only logical to follow it right?
"Syou" is the romanization of ショウ in the ISO standard/Nihon-shiki/Kunrei-shiki method of romanization.
Conversion table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon-shik ... 602_Strict
Details of it being technically the 'correct' way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanizati ... nrei-shiki

So it's correct, it's just not commonly used outside of Japan. Or from my perception of things, even inside given that almost everything I've seen with romaji from inside Japan uses some variant of modified Hepburn which is the standard used in almost all teaching materials I've seen that don't use hiragana notation.

Anyway... it's probably a good idea to rewrite it using the 'standard' notation we use here, since the other alternative is to write any romanizations of other terms in the text in Kunrei-shiki as well since you don't want to mix up the romanization methods; that way lies madness. (And summons Hastur.)
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Kadi wrote:
iamadooddood wrote:Isn't it always best to follow however the author spells it?
No. No, it's not
Ok fine, official spelling then. Since the author might make mistakes in spelling.
hayashi_s wrote:in umd, the dog is called Rabbi in the official spelling. Does that make Frey and Loki Jews? No, it just means the author doesn't understand that ラッビ will not translate nicely into English. So I changed it at my own discretion to Rabi. Likewise, here the TL should use his own discretion and not blindly follow something just because it's "official".
Depends on how it was intended to be spelled as then. Also it doesn't mean that just because the kana used spells Rabbi in romaji form the official spelling will be Rabbi too. Keep in mind that this is katakana and not hiragana so I highly doubt that it was intended to be spelled as "Rabbi".
denormative wrote:Anyway... it's probably a good idea to rewrite it using the 'standard' notation we use here, since the other alternative is to write any romanizations of other terms in the text in Kunrei-shiki as well since you don't want to mix up the romanization methods; that way lies madness. (And summons Hastur.)
And you're going to edit volume 2's illustrations too...? And I'm quite sure that other than names most other things in the translated text will be in English too (all, actually, unless you want to add random Japanese terminology), so there shouldn't be much problem there.

After reading all these posts, I think I should stay away from trying to translate this LN after all.

Return to “English”