Magika No Kenshi To Basileus

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want to see this translated?

I might want to translate this
7%
Yes
92%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please Give a reason)
No votes

Total votes: 421

blackwhite67
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Magika No Kenshi To Basileus

Post by blackwhite67 »

Original title: 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王
English title: ?
Author: Mihara Mitsuki (三原みつき)
Illustrator: CHuN (イラスト)
Publisher: MF文庫J
Volumes Out: 1

Synopsis by Log:
To make a brief summary of the setting basically 15 years ago the world discovered magic as well as mythical beings (basically beings from various legends) in another dimension. Humankind learned to summon these dangerous mythical beings and use their power to great effect. 7 country's formed contracts with these "gods" and gained their alligence as a result. Gods will chose their summoners on their 14th birthday and give them a stigma. Schools have been set up to train summoners and magical swordsman (basically bodyguards that give the summoners time to cast their spell) as a result.

15 years latter after the finding of magic Kazuki Hayashizaki is chosen as a summoner and given a stigma to indicate that. This is surprising since males aren't chosen as summoners due to their low amount of mana compared to females. As the first male to be a summoner Kazuki is under a lot of scrutiny by almost everyone.

To complicate matters his sister (who's a magical swordsman) is against him going into summoner school to train there as a summoner. Because summoners and magical swordsman have a cat mouse thing going on where summoners look down on magical swordsman as inferior so his sister naturally is against him going there. She'll stop him even if it means going to war.

Kazuki however is determined to thrive in summoner school and have already determined to give it his all. Even if he's the lowest ranked student (ranked E) and his fellow students intend to demean him he'll prove himself as the strongest summoner.
Last edited by Nurin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Poll Guidelines
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Magika No Kenshi To Basileus

Post by Nurin »

Well, the plot is the same as always nothing new but looks good, I expect this to be like Blade Dance, or the other Novel that I forgot the name, but CatWalk can say it properly :lol:

Well, I give it a place on my "To Read List"
Call me Nurin!

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Nura rihan wrote:Well, the plot is the same as always nothing new but looks good, I expect this to be like Blade Dance, or the other Novel that I forgot the name, but CatWalk can say it properly :lol:
Sounds much more like IS with 'magic' rather then 'mecha'. Kamito was not remotely 'weak' in STnBD, 'weaker' then he was, but definitely not the bottom of the school.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Well, when I say Balde Dance I only bring up a name that has a history that he is the only man doing what him do, then you can bring IS too, and if you put like this I can also agree that would almost only change the "Mecha" With "Magic". :roll: :lol:
Call me Nurin!

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Showing my level of bitter cynicism (I'm a programmer; it comes with the territory), I'll note that MF Bunko J was the previous publisher of Infinite Stratos which was apparently quite a popular title for them. And coincidentally enough, the same day that the re-released version of v1 of IS along with the new v8 was published with a new publisher, MF Bunko J released the first volume of a new series that's pretty much the same premise as IS, just with 'magic'.

My cynical guess is that they once the came to the conclusion that they couldn't get the IS licence back, they pulled the proposal which essentially summarised to "IS but with Magic" off the shelf (that they had previously not published since it was too similar to another line (IS) they were currently publishing), and told the author to get to work. :P Either that or they commissioned someone to write it based on the premise.

But as I said, I'm a cynic. :?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Nura rihan wrote:Well, the plot is the same as always nothing new but looks good, I expect this to be like Blade Dance...
Actually, now that I've got the raws (cue complaint about it being easier to get the less legitimate copy then buying off amazon, since they have yet to release a kindle version; I get the feeling I'm complaining about this a lot lately...), it looks very Blade-Dancer-like just from the pictures. >.>
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

So, my guess was almost right... By looking the ilustrations... :lol: :lol:
Call me Nurin!

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Nura rihan wrote:So, my guess was almost right... By looking the ilustrations... :lol: :lol:
http://imgur.com/I6x7jrC http://imgur.com/9Tbk5Yo
"Action pose" colour images.

http://imgur.com/fQxeLhS
Uniforms remind me of DxD's though. :P
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Well, I liked the color images, and the uniforms really resemble DxD a little, with the exception of the brown haired girl on the front, the SIZES are too much diferents, if you understand what i mean :P :lol: :roll:
Call me Nurin!

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Nura rihan wrote:Well, I liked the color images, and the uniforms really resemble DxD a little, with the exception of the brown haired girl on the front, the SIZES are too much diferents, if you understand what i mean :P :lol: :roll:
Remember v1 of DxD only has Akeno, Rias, Asia, and Koneko. So there's only been a trade of one pair of large oppai for a medium set. I imagine subsequent volumes will increase the number of top-end sizes, since that seems to be the inevitable trend for most series'. >.>
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

denormative wrote:
Nura rihan wrote:So, my guess was almost right... By looking the ilustrations... :lol: :lol:

Oh, nice illustrations and fine synopsis. Added to to-read list. :)
blackwhite67
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blackwhite67 »

History Lesson courtesy of Kadi
Spoiler! :
15 years ago someone succeeded in making a philosophers stone that allowed people to awaken to magic.
Girls naturally have a higher amount of magic energy. There are 6 basic types of magic: Defense, Psychokinesis, Pyrokinesis, Telepathy, Enchant Aura (self-buffing), Extra Sense (6th sense, feeling for magic). Defense is reflexive as long as you have magic energy left and renders mundane weaponry useless. Thus the whole world's military quickly changed to using magic.
The guy who developed philosophers stones supposedly got him self killed (his corpse wasn't found so he should be alive somewhere, somehow), so no more new philosopher's stones, but people have started to awaken to magic by themselves. Thus by now, most people can use magic to some degree and mage-tech industry is booming.
Through a gate inside themselves, all magicians are connected to another world where gods and demons reside. Since those are basically the same, they were henceforth collectively called Deva.
Every magician can form a contract with a Deva and use their extra-powerful magic. If done wrongly, that will corrode the magician's mind over time and in the end, the Deva will take over.
Mad magicians like that running wild destroyed Tokyo in the past. Japan was saved by the 72 Demons of Solomon. They developed the Enigma(?)-Stigma contract system where the Demons pick talented magicians and on their 14th birthday, a sign appears on those people, the Enigma(?). Those are then carted into one school where they make a full-fledged contract with the Deva that chose them, the Enigma changes into a Stigma and they learn summoning magic henceforth, being now called Magika Stigma. Everyone not doing this is labelled illegal and gets killed. Only the 72 Demons know the rules so no other Deva can sneak in.
The advantage of the Enigma-Stigma contracts is safety for the casters because they don't go mad. The disadvantage is that they need long incantations to use their magic and their magic energy isn't used as effectively as it could be. Thus they need the swordsmen to take the beating while they chant their spells.
As was already mentioned, the Magika Stigma can use 10 magics, ranked Level 1 to 10, so called Summoning Magic, where they summon the power of their Deva. With the Enigma-Stigma contracts, a Deva can have multiple contractees and they can even fight each other, with the same spells. Only the final spell where the Deva is materialized is limited to one at a time. The types of spells every Deva grants are different. Asmodeus mainly grants debuffs or ways to interfere with the enemy... like summoning tentacles... all of the spells are disgusting in some way. Phenex is more combat oriented with flame bullets, a flame barrier, flame wings, I think... Baal... uhhh... grants weapon summons?

Anyway, nowadays Japan is one of the seven magic superpowers (along with America, England, Germany, Italy, China and... Russia or France, I think, but I'm not sure) and totally reliant on the 72 demons.
Other countries are implied to have other contract-systems and rely on other sets of gods and demons.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

blackwhite67 wrote:History Lesson courtesy of Kadi
Thanks for the extra background information, was interesting to read. :)
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

denormative wrote:

Hm, doesnt decide the illustrator how something or someone looks with his artwork?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
JstBeingMyself
Astral Realm

Post by JstBeingMyself »

right now the second chapter for the manga can be read but i most definitely want to read the novel

Return to “English”