Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:
What I'm saying is it clearly states that Kurono got promoted while in school. So I don't see what's wrong with not saying it cause that's what it says.
I do not wish to include that translation in the text because even if it is a completely accurate translation, that completely accurate translation undermines the theme and the drama of the sidestory it's in, which are more important to me as a storyteller.
That part is important for the entire series because it tells us that before Stella enrolled, Hagun only ever had one A-rank student which was Kurono and even she wasn't A-rank yet by the time she first enrolled. LN fans like knowing some details in the series they read. I remember Kurono promoted to A-rank while still a student at Hagun was talked about several times at 5ch.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

That part is important for the entire series because it tells us that before Stella enrolled, Hagun only ever had one A-rank student which was Kurono and even she wasn't A-rank yet by the time she first enrolled.
What is important about this? Which aspect of the story is affected by the knowledge that before Stella enrolled, Hagun only ever had one A-rank student who was not even an A-rank during some part of her enrollment, over the currently available information about Hagun's enrollment?
LN fans like knowing some details in the series they read.
This sounds like an facetious statement. Are you suggesting that I do not provide some details in the series?
I remember Kurono promoted to A-rank while still a student at Hagun was talked about several times at 5ch.
If you consider that fact important, please describe the rational basis for its relevance.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:
That part is important for the entire series because it tells us that before Stella enrolled, Hagun only ever had one A-rank student which was Kurono and even she wasn't A-rank yet by the time she first enrolled.
What is important about this? Which aspect of the story is affected by the knowledge that before Stella enrolled, Hagun only ever had one A-rank student who was not even an A-rank during some part of her enrollment, over the currently available information about Hagun's enrollment?
LN fans like knowing some details in the series they read.
This sounds like an facetious statement. Are you suggesting that I do not provide some details in the series?
It tells us more about the rarity of A-rank

I mean they like knowing as much details as possible.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

It tells us more about the rarity of A-rank
What is important about this? Which aspect of the story is affected by the knowledge that Hagun only ever had one A-Rank student who was not even an A-Rank during some part of her enrollment, over the currently available information about the rarity of that Blazer rank?
I mean they like knowing as much details as possible.
This also sounds like a facetious statement. Are you suggesting that this project should not be structured as a story but instead as an encyclopedia treatise on Rakudai Kishi's world-building, since that would be more effective at listing as many details as possible?
LittleLune
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by LittleLune »

Hi, I've been re-reading the Rakudai translation and I had a question. Alice is pretty obviously defined as a trans woman (born in a body that doesn't match the mind), but the translation consistently calls them "he." Since i know standards and common knowledge on this stuff are different in Japan, I was wondering if this is reflected in the Japanese text, or if it's a quirk of the translation due to the English language requiring much more frequent use of pronouns?
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

The original source explicitly refers to Arisuin as male in text using the omniscient third-party perspective. For a time in volume one chapter three, I attempted to embrace Arisuin's transgender character concept by editing the text to use the female pronoun, but the sheer consistency with which the Japanese text uses male terms forced me to revert it. In Japanese dialogue, gendered pronouns are rarely used, and I believe I've also tried to use the female for Arisuin in at least Shizuku's perspective, but looking back on old chapters I see that I have not done this consistently, so I may still be balancing the merits of using that conceit over the demerits of losing consistency with the source.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

https://taekan.wordpress.com/submit-a-series/

Taekan can start working from Vol 10, though Rakudai needs the most number of votes to be picked up.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

If Taekan decides to pick up Rakudai Kishi and wishes to be associated with the Baka-Tsuki project, I am available for contact to work out an arrangement, as was the case with Frozen's Lazy Blog.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Taekan has agreed to be affiliated with the Baka-Tsuki project. It will be an arrangement where he will post his translation to his own site, which we will link to, and we will also keep a wiki version that will be further edited to our project standards. Taekan will start translating at volume 10.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Unfortunately, a few days ago Taekan changed his external site's donation policy, which the Executive Council reviewed and deemed to be commercial activity, so we can no longer be affiliated. Nevertheless, I wish Taekan well in his efforts to translate Rakudai.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Volume nine final chapter A has been translated by Frozen's Lazy Blog.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Volume nine final chapter B and afterword have been translated by Frozen's Lazy Blog.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan has been officially licensed in English by Sol Press, with volumes 1-3 to be released on Nov. 16, 2019. In accordance with Baka-Tsuki policy, our project is now concluded, and the novel volume pages have been removed. I'd like to thank our translators TheCatWalk, Kouen no Ten, DisavateraMX, and Frozen's Lazy Blog for their contributions, our editors for their work, and the readers for their interest and support. I hope our project has delivered a quality English version of the Rakudai Kishi story, and that you've all enjoyed reading it. Please consider supporting the official translation.
lifeman120
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Highschool DxD
Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan

Post by lifeman120 »

Never thought id see the day that this would get licensed.
Image guy, Cleaning/Typesetting Progress

Seems to have a White hair fetish, but will (almost) always support the main Heroine.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

I like to think that we helped to make Rakudai Kishi well-known enough to be worth an official translation.

Return to “English”