Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Post by AP24 »

I noticed something that needs to be fixed in Vol 5. The tournament that Moroboshi participated during his primary school days is officially called the Little League, which is Japan's primary school league. There is another tournament called U-12 world tournament. Ouma participated in both the Little League and the U-12 world tournament, winning both tournaments. Also, Japan's middle school league is officially called the Senior League.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

While translating volume four, I decided that the Little League and Senior League names were gratuitous English, and is not a notable improvement over simply calling them the elementary school league and middle school league. They seem to be baseball league references, but at the time I hesitated over incorporating that connotation since there were no details that would justify the association. Perhaps I should revisit this now that we've seen the national competition.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

Well the most important point is Moroboshi didn't participate in the U-12 world tournament. He participated in Japan's primary school league which is a different one. Ouma won both Japan's primary school league and the U-12 world tournament.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Forum sure is quiet. Hello everyone. I hope everyone is having a good Christmas season, and will have a great 2019. Please enjoy Rakudai volume zero.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:Forum sure is quiet. Hello everyone. I hope everyone is having a good Christmas season, and will have a great 2019. Please enjoy Rakudai volume zero.
Thank you! Will you be doing other volumes maybe from Vol 10?

I also noticed some lines or words that are missing in Vol 0, so I might try fixing it.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

AP24 wrote:Thank you! Will you be doing other volumes maybe from Vol 10?
I have no current plans. It would depend on whether Frozen's Lazy Blog or others want to translate.
I also noticed some lines or words that are missing in Vol 0, so I might try fixing it.
You should run those changes by me. There are many lines and words from the original text which I removed in my translation, for readability reasons. Maybe they can be reinserted if we find a good way to phrase them.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:
AP24 wrote:Thank you! Will you be doing other volumes maybe from Vol 10?
I have no current plans. It would depend on whether Frozen's Lazy Blog or others want to translate.
You should run those changes by me. There are many lines and words from the original text which I removed in my translation, for readability reasons. Maybe they can be reinserted if we find a good way to phrase them.
The thing is some info that might be relevant ended up being removed or not accurate. Here are some examples from the last short story.

"For C-rank, 5 out of 250 new students would be surprisingly many." seems more accurate since the info might refer to Hagun's case only.

"Even now, the only one that got promoted to A-rank while in school was "World Clock" Kurono Shinguuji." is better because it tells us that Kurono wasn't originally an A-rank during enrollment and got promoted later.

"Even among F-ranks, his was inferior, so with better rankings in other traits his overall rank would still be lower than E, and Hagun Academy's cutoff was E or above." I think it actually says E lower-tier and E upper-tier.

I will let you know if I find more.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

The thing is some info that might be relevant ended up being removed or not accurate.
This also happens quite often, because "might be relevant" is a very nebulous quality that can be used to excuse many elements of information at the expense of readability, and I am quite strict about justifiable trade-off. On the other hand, once elements are confirmed to be actually demonstrably relevant, I am quick to restore them.
"For C-rank, 5 out of 250 new students would be surprisingly many." seems more accurate since the info might refer to Hagun's case only.
This may be true, but because Hagun's entry numbers are not otherwise corroborated (and Blazer demographics are fuzzy in general), I am trying to avoid this level of specificity in order to not generate such implications.
"Even now, the only one that got promoted to A-rank while in school was "World Clock" Kurono Shinguuji." is better because it tells us that Kurono wasn't originally an A-rank during enrollment and got promoted later.
That is a valid translation of 昇格, but the problem is it undermines part of the setting logic and raises a lot of questions at a point in the story where those questions should not arise. As stated in Ikki and Stella's first duel, magic power does not rise; you're stuck with what you're born with. Hagun's ranking is based on magic power, which is why Ikki is F-rank. According to Ikki's father Itsuki in their conversation while Ikki was being held by the Ethics Committee, Blazer ranks are rarely changed as a policy, in order discourage people from uselessly or dangerously trying to exceed the rank they're reported to have; this is related to why Itsuki tells Ikki "so don't try". In Sara Bloodlily's case, the rank change can be excused as a case of reclassification due to her deliberately hiding her identity and power. If Shinguuji was previously below A-rank, and then was raised to A-rank, this raises similar-level questions about why her rank was increased, if her rank was increased for reasons besides magic power then why Ikki's rank can't be increased despite his superlative non-magic capabilities, and if her rank was increased for magic power reasons then why Ikki's rank can't be increased given Ittou Shura clearly raises him on par with an A-rank Blazer. Also, it is also evidence that rank changes are entirely possible in the context of a side-story about Ikki trying to overturn the societal expectation that unchanging rank derived from magic power alone determines one's worth as a Blazer, which weakens the dramatic stakes and the theme of the sidestory. Given we have such little concrete information about Shinguuji, I would not put this interpretation into the translated text without substantially more corroboration than I currently have available.
"Even among F-ranks, his was inferior, so with better rankings in other traits his overall rank would still be lower than E, and Hagun Academy's cutoff was E or above." I think it actually says E lower-tier and E upper-tier.
Please cite me the line. I'm going with page 228, which reads よぼどいい能力を持っていても、Eの下。破軍学園が合格ラインと定めているEの上には届かない。
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:
This may be true, but because Hagun's entry numbers are not otherwise corroborated (and Blazer demographics are fuzzy in general), I am trying to avoid this level of specificity in order to not generate such implications.
That is a valid translation of 昇格, but the problem is it undermines part of the setting logic and raises a lot of questions at a point in the story where those questions should not arise. As stated in Ikki and Stella's first duel, magic power does not rise; you're stuck with what you're born with. Hagun's ranking is based on magic power, which is why Ikki is F-rank. According to Ikki's father Itsuki in their conversation while Ikki was being held by the Ethics Committee, Blazer ranks are rarely changed as a policy, in order discourage people from uselessly or dangerously trying to exceed the rank they're reported to have; this is related to why Itsuki tells Ikki "so don't try". In Sara Bloodlily's case, the rank change can be excused as a case of reclassification due to her deliberately hiding her identity and power. If Shinguuji was previously below A-rank, and then was raised to A-rank, this raises similar-level questions about why her rank was increased, if her rank was increased for reasons besides magic power then why Ikki's rank can't be increased despite his superlative non-magic capabilities, and if her rank was increased for magic power reasons then why Ikki's rank can't be increased given Ittou Shura clearly raises him on par with an A-rank Blazer. Also, it is also evidence that rank changes are entirely possible in the context of a side-story about Ikki trying to overturn the societal expectation that unchanging rank derived from magic power alone determines one's worth as a Blazer, which weakens the dramatic stakes and the theme of the sidestory. Given we have such little concrete information about Shinguuji, I would not put this interpretation into the translated text without substantially more corroboration than I currently have available.
Please cite me the line. I'm going with page 228, which reads よぼどいい能力を持っていても、Eの下。破軍学園が合格ラインと定めているEの上には届かない。
"For C-rank, one out of fifty would be surprisingly many", this quote is implying that 1 in 50 of all Blazers are C-rank which might not be true and is actually only referring to Hagun students.

Rarely changed means that it happened to some people. In fact, Shizuku gets promoted to A-rank in Vol 15. Judging from what I read in Vol 14, Kurono was a late-bloomer that has just started learning to use her abilities when she first enrolled in Hagun. My guess is Kurono got promoted to A-rank after she mastered her abilities better.

I'm sure Eの下 actually means E lower-tier and Eの上 means E upper-tier.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

"For C-rank, one out of fifty would be surprisingly many", this quote is implying that 1 in 50 of all Blazers are C-rank which might not be true and is actually only referring to Hagun students.
I may be misunderstanding your statement. In the context of the statement, which is a Hagun teacher conducting a Hagun entrance selection musing despondently about new students coming to Hagun not being high-rank Blazers, juxtaposed with a statement about A-ranks in Hagun, I believe this line is clearly only referring to Hagun students, regardless of the numbers used to give the ratio.
Rarely changed means that it happened to some people.
Yes, hence my example of Sara; it is possible, but it must be justified, because it is an example of a setting rule.
In fact, Shizuku gets promoted to A-rank in Vol 15. Judging from what I read in Vol 14, Kurono was a late-bloomer that has just started learning to use her abilities when she first enrolled in Hagun. My guess is Kurono got promoted to A-rank after she mastered her abilities better.
I have not read up to those volumes so I am not knowledgeable of the context of Shizuku's promotion or further information about Shinguuji (and I don't wished to be spoiled). If I see substantial justification based on that information once I get that far, I am open to correcting this line. Nonetheless, that information would need to outweigh the issue I described about introducing this concept in this context undermining the theme and drama of the sidestory. The current phrasing does not specify Shinguuji's promotion but it is still consistent with that possibility, and I am willing to sacrifice precision to preserve theming.
I'm sure Eの下 actually means E lower-tier and Eの上 means E upper-tier.
That's acceptable. I protest this description because the series has not described such delineations in Blazer rank (at best Kagami's profiles do have pluses and minuses in attribute rankings, but never Blazer rank), but I have rephrased the line in the translation.

In case I have not pointed this out before, my translation ability is quite mediocre, so no one should assume I translate accurately.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:
In fact, Shizuku gets promoted to A-rank in Vol 15. Judging from what I read in Vol 14, Kurono was a late-bloomer that has just started learning to use her abilities when she first enrolled in Hagun. My guess is Kurono got promoted to A-rank after she mastered her abilities better.
I have not read up to those volumes so I am not knowledgeable of the context of Shizuku's promotion or further information about Shinguuji (and I don't wished to be spoiled). If I see substantial justification based on that information once I get that far, I am open to correcting this line. Nonetheless, that information would need to outweigh the issue I described about introducing this concept in this context undermining the theme and drama of the sidestory. The current phrasing does not specify Shinguuji's promotion but it is still consistent with that possibility, and I am willing to sacrifice precision to preserve theming.
"在校中にAランクに昇格した者すら", this clearly says promotion to A-rank while in school. The word 昇格 means promotion.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Yes, that is a valid translation of 昇格, as I mentioned before.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

KLSymph wrote:Yes, that is a valid translation of 昇格, as I mentioned before.
What I'm saying is it clearly states that Kurono got promoted. So I don't see what's wrong with not saying it cause that's what it says.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

AP24 wrote:
KLSymph wrote:Yes, that is a valid translation of 昇格, as I mentioned before.
What I'm saying is it clearly states that Kurono got promoted while in school. So I don't see what's wrong with not saying it cause that's what it says.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

What I'm saying is it clearly states that Kurono got promoted while in school. So I don't see what's wrong with not saying it cause that's what it says.
I do not wish to include that translation in the text because even if it is a completely accurate translation, that completely accurate translation undermines the theme and the drama of the sidestory it's in, which are more important to me as a storyteller.

Return to “English”