Endless Eight, not Endless August

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Bekenn
Astral Realm

Post by Bekenn »

Thanks for all the recent additions! I'm following this story with great anticipation.

I've made a few edits to the beginning of the story to put Kyon's narration in the past tense, as well as to single out Kyon's in-the-moment thoughts using italics. Since this is the first I've edited anything here, I'd appreciate some feedback -- should I continue in this fashion, or just stick to grammar and spelling?

Edit: Uhh... why is the word "feed back" (no space) replaced with "poke," and how can I stop that from happening?
bicube
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bicube »

I think "poke" replacing the word is from the bad word filter. The filter isn't the best, and probably thought that it was a bad word, and replaced it.
shiratoriryuuko
Astral Realm

Post by shiratoriryuuko »

O yea, keep in mind that Kyon change tenses throughout that chapter. His presence moves with the lines and he refers to the as he calls it.
Bekenn
Astral Realm

Post by Bekenn »

Indeed, I'm trying to distinguish between in-the-moment thoughts (italics) and narration (normal text). If you have any comments on the editing work, feel free to post them here or PM me.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

why is it called endless eight anyways?
ratslayer
Astral Realm

Post by ratslayer »

well i suposse it is because they go too many times for the same period of time
Bekenn
Astral Realm

Post by Bekenn »

The "eight" part refers to the fact that it's the eighth month of the year -- August. Endless should be self-explanatory.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

The Arabic numeral symbol for number eight "8" resembles the sign for infinity, hence the title "Endless Eight/8".
Bekenn
Astral Realm

Post by Bekenn »

Wait... is what I said wrong, then? I thought for sure it was a reference to the eighth month, particularly since in Japanese, months are numbered, not named ("August" in Japanese is 8 月 or 八月).
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

Bekenn wrote:Wait... is what I said wrong, then? I thought for sure it was a reference to the eighth month, particularly since in Japanese, months are numbered, not named ("August" in Japanese is 8 月 or 八月).
I suspect that the name was chosen precisely because it works on several levels.

Infinity is an eight on it's side. Infinity is endless, like the the time loop in the story, like the shape of the symbol itself. The time loop took place in the 8th month. It really was almost an infinite August.

So, you're both right. It's a clever and well chosen name for the story.

Return to “Volume 5 - The Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走”