Snow Mountain Syndrome Clarification

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mandorlo
Astral Realm

Snow Mountain Syndrome Clarification

Post by Mandorlo »

Hello!
I've searched in other topics, but I'm not sure if it's been already discussed. I'd like to ask if someone could tell me the meaning of the word "Eishu" that's used in this chapter, because I can't really understand :/
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Snow Mountain Syndrome Clarification

Post by quigonkenny »

Good question. I had assumed when reading it that it was one of those things that Japanese people say traditionally at certain times (like itadakimasu, or tadaima), and still do, but it must be a fairly uncommon one, as Google has been useless in confirming or denying that...
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Context here:
「そう? あたしは今年がすっごく面白《おもしろ》かったし来年もそうなったらいいなと思ってるけど、あんたは違《ちが》うの? あ、みくるちゃん、鍋《なべ》が煮詰《につ》まってきたからお湯足して」
「あっはいはいっ」
 朝比奈さんはヤカンの許《もと》へパタパタ駆《か》け寄り、
「うんしょ」
 重そうに持ってきたヤカンを鍋の上で注意深く傾《かたむ》けた。
 その華麗《かれい》なるお姿を見つめながら、俺は今年一年のうちに出くわした様々なあれやこれやを思い出し、少しばかり感情が揺れ動いた。ハルヒはすっごく面白かったと言う。では俺が面白かったかどうかと問われれば、決まってる。
Seems it actually says "Unsho" (not "Eishu"). I don't remember who did this chapter but this might be an artifact from using the Chinese versions. It happens sometimes.

Dictionary came up with "うんしょっと ("unshotto") (int) omigosh; crikey" so it might be a short form of that. I'd bet even money that it's just one of the cute sounds Asahina makes when she's pouring the tea, though. I personally wouldn't read too much into it.

Edit: velocity7 (CLANNAD project lead) seems to agree with that assessment. Still open for discussion of course.
=Smidge=
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Sounds to me from context like we need to find the Mikuru equivalent of a forgetful "Oh, crap".
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

But the context doesn't seem to suggest the forgot anything...

=Smidge=
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Smidge204 wrote:But the context doesn't seem to suggest the forgot anything...

=Smidge=
Context:
Snow Mountain Syndrome wrote:Haruhi tossed in meat, fish and vegetables in no particular order as maid-version Asahina-san, adorned with a head scarf, separated the food with a pair of chopsticks and handed out the broth once in a while. Nagato, Koizumi, and I were directed to consume. Apart from the group of five in the SOS Brigade, we had a guest today.

[...]

"Really? I keep thinking that this year has been interesting, which is why I wish for the same next year. Ahh, Mikuru-chan, the broth's about to totally evaporate, hurry with the water."

"Okay, coming right up."

Asahina-san headed to the teapot in running steps.

"Unsho."

She carefully poured the water from the seemingly heavy teapot into the pot.
Last edited by quigonkenny on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Uh, except that "[...]" you got there represents about three pages worth of text.

It's just a generic Mikuru sound effect, responding to Haruhi barking orders at her. Nothing suggests she actually forgot anything.
=Smidge=
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Smidge204 wrote:Uh, except that "[...]" you got there represents about three pages worth of text.
That might be a valid argument if anything I'd left out had anything to do with whether or not I was right.

Think about it. Mikuru wouldn't respond to Haruhi barking orders at her, unless it's something she really doesn't like, like being groped and/or cos-raped, or risking a temporal paradox. She just does it. Any backtalk is likely to get her groped and/or cos-raped. If it means anything in this context, it's her muttering to herself for forgetting to keep the hotpot properly "brothed". Think back to the initial conversation with Asahina(big) where she shows this personality quirk, actually "knocking" herself on the head in the process.

Although I am starting to think it might be an exertion noise. Kyon does mention that the teapot looks heavy. Let's get a native speaker in on this.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Hmm,I'm not a japanese speaker or anything,but I think 'Unsho' is a sound when she puts effort in lifting something,in this case the (heavy)tea pot.
Just my 2c.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

quigonkenny wrote:That might be a valid argument if anything I'd left out had anything to do with whether or not I was right.
But it DOES. The paragraph you cite only establishes that Mikuru is distributing broth. It lays no context for her reaction to Haruhi's command, and does not suggest she was spacing out, distracted or otherwise actually forgot anything. A large part of her "moe" is to coo and hiccup when she does things. She's just vocalizing the action and you have not set any precedent for it being anything else.

Is it because I gave a definition of "unshotto" that you're so hung up on this line having a deeper meaning?
=Smidge=
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

Super-old thread :oops: but I just read it today and saw that "eishu" is still there... I agree it's more on "putting a little effort into lifting" and "vocalizing the action" than anything, so I'd suggest something like "There we go!" or maybe "Upsy-daisy!" :D
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

necroposter! heh. :P

But i agree, really should of changed that to something more fluent in English, however the only one I could say it was comparable to, is "whew" after the lifting was done, as it convey that significant effort was used.

But if we have put something there, i rather an alternative to "upsy-daisy"
not once have i heard anyone say that.

If i think about it, i've remembered some people say: "Here we go" and " 1...2....3!" and more commonly, lots of swearing. :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Volume 5 - The Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走”