Reference in Snow Mountain Syndrome?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

Sorry I did it again. I posted in the wrong thread.

Anyways, from what Snow Mountain Syndrome is about it seems that someone else above Haruhi and Nagato is creating the weird blizard. But to who the culpret is we don't know yet. Ahh and I wonder what Kouzumi means by Haruhi's powers growing weaker. Is that because Kyon hasn't retuned to the alternate past to save himself or is it just because Haruhi's mindset is changing? Hmm I wonder.
shiratoriryuuko
Astral Realm

Post by shiratoriryuuko »

shift in mentality to me is leading her releasing her powers less. Subsequently Nagato also doesn't need to use her powers to keep Haruhi in check. I don't think any of them are 'weakening' in the sense of being reduced in power...
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

When Koizumi is talking about her powers weakening, I believe he is referring to Haruhi coming more to reality. In previous events in the SoS Dan, Haruhi would believe that things or wish that things would occur, causing them to really happen. But now, Haruhi is thinking more reasonably and is more down to earth. She's also releasing her powers in terms of closed space less, now that she feels closer and more happy with Kyon.
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

I don't know if this will come as news to anyone, or if I'm merely stating the bleeding obvious, but...

As you read Snow Mountain Syndrome, you come across several references to Kyon's vague recollection of having been prevously stuck in an odd RPG-like environment. Now I remembered reading a story like that, but for the life of me couldn't find it anywhere on the Wiki.

This evening I remembered that on Strato's independant translation page there was an individual short story from the Sneaker magazine. And sure enough, a quick glance at it showed that it was about the SOS Dan being stuck in an odd RPG-like type environment.

For anyone who hasn't read it yet, this is the link:
http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/HaruhiTheater.htm
Tonberry50
Astral Realm

Post by Tonberry50 »

interesting and would this be in another novel (8th or 9th ) or is only a unrelated reference ?
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

Guest lol wrote:Living in the 2nd dimension, would be a easy thing to see though. The entire universe is like a giant sheet of paper, all flat lol. There was this book from the late 19th century (or early 20th) that described what other universes would be like etc etc and how they would react upon meeting beings from another dimension. The beings in the 2nd dimension were all geometrical shapes... lol.
Flatland, by Edwin Abbott.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Ah right that novel. Quite interesting if you're interested in this subject!
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

Yes but which volume is Haruhi Theater in?
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Seeing that it was released in 2004, I don't think we'll be able to see it. It'll probably remain one of those "OVA"-like chapters ;P
/me claws out throat and dies
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

HolyCow wrote:Seeing that it was released in 2004, I don't think we'll be able to see it. It'll probably remain one of those "OVA"-like chapters ;P
OVA chapters?

ANyway, there was also 'return of Haruhi Theatre' in 2006, I believe.

As there's a sequel, and he's written it int the main series, presumably it'll appear in a later volume, unless there's some terribly obvious reason why it can't that I've missed.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

What is Haruhi Theater anyway?
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

typhonsentra wrote:What is Haruhi Theater anyway?
It's a strange, but fun, self-contained short story that was published in 'the sneaker' in 2004. In the main Baka-Tsuki translation page, there's a link to Strato's translation. As well as the first novel and bits of the second, he translated the story. It's sort of a Dungeons and Dragons thing.

There was a sequel publsihed last year as well, but I don't think it's been translated.

No idea why it wasn't put in any of the volumes, though.

Return to “Volume 5 - The Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走”