Reference in Snow Mountain Syndrome?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Reference in Snow Mountain Syndrome?

Post by Dan »

Kyon says

"Get movin' if you're comin' along"

and Nagato seems to have a reaction plus Kyon seems relieved Haruhi didn't hear him. Is this a reference to something in another volume, because I don't get it.

Sorry if this topic doesn't belong here. Being new, I'm still unsure where to discuss what.
shiratoriryuuko
Astral Realm

Post by shiratoriryuuko »

Haruhi said that... it doesn't reference anything per se. Kyon doesn't say things like that.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I'm pretty sure Kyon said it, the next line of the story is

"I slipped my tongue. Thank goodness that Haruhi and Tsuruya-san were knee-deep in a fight for the mushroom, so it seemed that nobody caught what I said to myself. "

He souldn't be worried if it wasn't something important.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

I think Shira got that wrong. He was feeling frustrated that a slider had yet to appear, so he accidentally let his thoughts slip out,

"Hurry up and appear already!"

I've changed the sentence so that it matches the original meaning more.

Where are all you editors? Get your arses moving already! lol
shiratoriryuuko
Astral Realm

Post by shiratoriryuuko »

ok. you're right. He did say such things. I forgot about how that... he accidentally slipped his tongue. I did have it wrong, thanks.
ohsotired
Astral Realm

slider?

Post by ohsotired »

I'm sorry if this is obvious to everyone but me, but can anyone tell me what a "slider" is?
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

Kinda like a time traveller, I guess.....

but since one has yet to show up, no one knows.

^__^
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Sliders are like time-travellers, but they seem to also travel to parallel worlds and universes.

Think of the show Sliders and all that Marvel Earth-2409 and Earth-666 etc crap.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

One little thing Koizumi brought up, either the slider Haruhi really wanted hasn't decided to reveal his or her self, or they just don't exist for some reason.

Also, he also mentioned there were other groups behind the scenes other than the three in the brigade, is this more of his bs?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

If you've seen the movie "The One" with Jet Li, that is what I imagine sliders to be.

Koizumi tells Kyon that they (the Agency) are fighting other groups at some point in the story (I forgot where), so I think he is referencing that.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Well, I'd be expecting that sliders can't appear.. I mean, there's only like 7+ different dimensions. We're living in the 3rd dimension, and it's completely (or near) impossible for us to think in a way that allows us to perceive of a being from the 4th dimension. It's like saying: think of a colour that isn't within our spectrum. You just can't because another colour isn't allowed within the visible spectrum. I hear that in the 4th dimension, you can see 3d... o_O (1st dimension = only 1 direction of motion [1d], 2nd = all direction of motion except up and down [2d], 3rd = 3d basically free movement, 4rd = ... x-ray vision wtf?

Well putting that aside, I guess a slider would be a person from a "parallel universe" in fictional story wise but... I don't think he'll appear yet. We already have such a large and diverse selection of characters, and unless the author feels the need to introduce a new character I doubt he/she'll ever show up.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

4th dimension is generally accepted in the sicitific community as the representative of "time"

thus a 4 dimensional meeting, will be the longitude, langitude, altitude, and time.

:)

if you could see into the 4th dimension it will mean you can see the timelines of all the people you meant. it will be like suddenly moving away from the page of a book and seeing the book itself, the beginning, the middle and end.
Thus a person with 4th dimension vision can flick to any page in the book and read it.

Just like the way Mikuru time travel device work, except it actually takes you to the pages :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

You know, I always wondered what life would be like in the 4th dimension... If you could see into time, you would basically be an all knowing being, being able to see into what happens ahead and everything that will happen in the future and past. Living in the 2nd dimension, would be a easy thing to see though. The entire universe is like a giant sheet of paper, all flat lol. There was this book from the late 19th century (or early 20th) that described what other universes would be like etc etc and how they would react upon meeting beings from another dimension. The beings in the 2nd dimension were all geometrical shapes... lol.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

SPOILERS! YOUU!!!!!!!
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

SPOILERS! YOUU!!!!!!!
Why are spoilers required for this? We're discussing scientific theory and what dimensions would be like.

Return to “Volume 5 - The Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走”