GOTH

General discussion related to this novel

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want to see this novel translated?

Yes, absolutely
80%
Not really (Give a reason why)
13%
No, not at all (Give a reason why)
7%

Total votes: 15

the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

GOTH

Post by the_naming_game »

I know it's been awhile, but...

Harunako:
Are you still interested in doing a teaser for GOTH?

Note: I recently reread the comic, and I'd forgotten how twisted it is. And from the broken English that google translate spits out, I understand that the novel is even more twisted. I'm pretty sure you're already aware of that, but I didn't want to accidentally mislead anyone, much less the prospective translator.

One thing I'm confused about with the GOTH novels:
(Hope this link works; if not, just go to kadokawa.co.jp and search for "goth")
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/bunko/bk_sear ... 8%A1%BA%F7
shows four titles; in order of publishing date, we have book "GOTH: wrist cutting incident" 2002, comic 2003, (paperback?) books "GO" + "TH" 2005

So are the two later books a reprinting of the first one, in two parts? Or are they entirely new stories? I'm confused by the fact that the two later books seem to go together as a single unit, and there isn't any 1-2-3 designation that my nonexistent Japanese can pick up.

Note to anyone who's put off by the title:
This isn't about people who wear black makeup. It's more about the fascination with the dark side of human nature.
the_naming_game

Stinginess is an important survival mechanism after all.

GOTH teaser, here we come! Check your PM.
thegreekie
Astral Realm

Post by thegreekie »

Is anyone still interested in Goth? I remember reading the manga awhile and it was very intriguing.

On the side note, if anyone is willing to send me sample of the novel, I could potentially be willing to work on the translation, providing it's not to complicated for me.
the_naming_game

thegreekie wrote:Is anyone still interested in Goth? I remember reading the manga awhile and it was very intriguing.

On the side note, if anyone is willing to send me sample of the novel, I could potentially be willing to work on the translation, providing it's not to complicated for me.
Check your PM. Looking forward to it if you decide to do it.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
the_naming_game

As I sort of mumbled about doing this a long time ago in a thread far, far away... a crude approximation of a GOTH teaser. My Japanese still kinda sucks, but hopefully nothing was flubbed. I may try to finish this chapter, but reading raw novels = hard work = uhhh, let's find something fun to do, whee!

WARNING WARNING WARNING
This gets rather dark, even in the first 2.5 pages I have here. Read onward only if you're not squeamish.
[chapter] 1 暗黒系 GOTH [暗黒系 is literally "darkness group/type-of-person", which comes close to "GOTH" so it's a double title thing.]
<!-- p006 -->
- About 20 days after the end of summer vacation, on a school day, I finally met Morino.
- Before the start of morning homeroom, while they were taking attendance, through the crowd of noisily chattering classmates, she unexpectedly approached my desk.
- We didn't have any history of exchanging greetings. Morino stood in front of me, took a notebook from her pocket, and placed it on my desk.
- It was palm [of-the-hand] sized; the cover was fake brown leather. It was an ordinary thing you'd find in any stationary shop.
- "I found this."
- She said.
- "Well it's not mine."
- "Well I know that." [my feeling is that both are copping an attitude.]
- Presenting the notebook to me, she had a somehow cheerful air about her.
- I picked the notebook up from my desk. The cover was smooth to the touch.
- I flipped briefly through the contents; the first half filled with small, meticulous writing. The second half was completely blank.
- "Read from the beginning."
- It was as she said, the owner was unknown; I looked carefully through his writing. Line after line of <!-- p007 -->itemized writing.

- 5/10 [May 10, not Oct 5, sorry Europeans]
- In front of the station, I meet a girl named Kusuda Mitsue.
- Age 16.
- I talk with her; shortly after we walk to the train.
- Without incident, I take her to T mountain.
- While the girl stares outside the window, I talk to a [her?] mother about a newspaper editorial she is interested in.
- The train stops near the summit of T mountain.
- From the trunk, I take out the bag containing the knife and nails. She laughingly asks me what it is.

- The words continued like that.
- I recognized the name Kusuda Mitsue.
- ......Three months ago, a family went on a hiking trip to T mountain. It was a family of one boy and two parents. Since it was a long-awaited holiday for the father, he slept as soon as they arrived at the mountain. The boy tried to wake up the father so they could play, but it was no use.
- In the afternoon, the boy took a walk alone into the forest.
- The mother noticed her son missing. And then, she heard a scream from deep in the forest.
<!-- p008 -->
- The couple searched the forest, and then found the boy. He was looking slightly upwards, frozen.
- Following the son's gaze, the father and mother immediately noticed the nearby tree trunk was stained dark red. And then, strangely, something small at eye level, nailed to the tree. Looking around, all the surrounding trees had things attached to them with nails.
- Those things were Kusuda Mitsue. Someone had done a dissection of her body, deep in the forest. Eyeball, tongue, ear, thumb, liver... They were all attached by nails to tree trunks.
- On one tree, in order from the top, left big toe, upper lip, nose, and stomach were attached; still other trees had the rest of her parts, arranged like Christmas tree decorations.
- The incident quickly had the entire country in a panic.
Original Japanese for the previous, (It's more than an excerpt, but less than a chapter, so I think it's okay?) in case anyone wants to help proofread.
 夏休みが二十日ほど過ぎたころ、出校日でひさびさに森野と顔を合わせた。
 朝のホームルームが始まる前、登校してきた彼女は、話し声の騒々しいクラスメイトたちの
間をぬって僕の机に近づいてきた。
 僕たちにあいさつを交わす慣習はなかった。森野は僕の目の前に立つと、ポケットから手帳
を取り出して、机の上に置いた。見覚えのない手帳だった。
 手のひらにおさまる大きさで、表紙は茶色の合成革だ。よく文房具屋に並んでいるありふれ
たものである。
「拾ったの」
 彼女は言った。
「僕のじゃないよ」
「知ってるわ」
 手帳をさしだす彼女にはどこか楽しげな雰囲気があった。
 机に置かれた手帳を手にとる。表紙の合成革は滑らかな肌触りをしていた。
 ぱらぱらと中身を大雑把に確認すると、手帳の前半部分に細かい文字が連ねてある。後半は
白紙のままだ。
「文章を最初から読んでみて」
 彼女の言う通り、だれのものなのかわからない他人の文字を目で追っていった。改行が多く、
箇条書きのような文章だった。

五月十日
 駅前で楠田光恵という女と知り合う。
 年齢は十六。
 声をかけるとすぐに車へ乗りこんできた。
 そのままT山に連れていく。
 女は窓の外を眺めながら、母親が新聞の投稿欄にこっていることを話す。
 T山の頂上付近に車をとめる。
 トランクからナイフや釘などの入った鞄を取り出していると、女は笑いながらそれは何かと
たずねてきた。
 …………

文章はその先もまだ続いている。
 僕は楠田光恵という名前に見覚えがあった。
 ……三ヶ月前、T山へある家族がハイキングへ行った。男の子とその両親の三人家族である。
父親はひさしぶりの休日だったため、山へ到着するなり寝転んで休んでいた。男の子はいっし
ょに遊ぼうと父親を起こそうとしたが、だめだった。
 昼過ぎ、男の子は一人で森の中を散策。
 母親は息子の姿が見えないことに気づく。そのとき、悲鳴が森の奥から聞こえた。
 夫婦が森の中を捜すと、男の子は見つかった。彼は少し見上げた格好で立ちすくんでいた。
 息子の視線を追った父親と母親は、そのあたりの木の幹が赤黒く汚れていることにまず気づ
く。そして、奇妙で小さなものが目の高さに釘で固定されているのを見る。周囲を眺めると、
まわりの木々にはどれも釘で何かが張りつけられている。
 それらが楠田光恵だった。彼女の体は森の奥で何者かに解剖された。眼球、舌、耳、親指、
肝臓……。それらは木の幹に釘で固定されていた。
 ある木には上から順番に左足の親指と上唇と鼻と胃袋がはりつけにされ、また別の本には彼
女のほかの部分がクリスマスツリーの飾りのように並んでいた。
 事件はすぐに全国を騒がせた。
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Wow, that is creepy! Are you planning on doing this? Or did you put forth this small translated bit for more support of translating it?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Kinda creepy. I like it. :D Higurashi'ish. HC will probably enjoy it. :P
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Kinda creepy. I like it. :D Higurashi'ish. HC will probably enjoy it. :P
Nah, it needs to have loli psychos. 8)
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Does anybody have a summary/synopsis of this? It seems... Interesting 8)

But of course, it isn't completely without some killer-lolis... Perhaps some will turn up later in the story? ;P
/me claws out throat and dies
the_naming_game

You can find an overview in the usual place though it's for the manga. The manga's drawn by the same person who draws the NHK manga ... in other words, great art. Morino Yoru resembles Satou's senpai Hitomi. Kamiyama Itsuki resembles ... Yamazaki, except with a level-up.

(edit: the manga was written by the novel author (Otsuichi) as well, so it's still "official" -- like NHK, in that respect. ...It did seem to leave you hanging, however. I'm hoping the novel fills in that gap.)

And HolyCow may know more than he lets on... though nothing in GOTH seems to happen in a fanservicey manner, except for the gore.

Am kind of hoping to get a translator interested in it. I'll probably expand the teaser a few pages here and there whenever I can, and if I feel confident enough. I'd rather have someone with more Japanese experience do the actual project. PM or IRC for raws, both text and scan. (because sometimes the text is wrong.) You don't necessarily have to be interested in translating in order to do so, though it'd be nice.

Unless I start reading Japanese much faster, and understand more thoroughly, I'm not going to attempt more than the first chapter. Currently I'm working through "Inukami!" and there was one phrase "心細げに" that is quite common in the Genji Monogatari, and is unfortunatly, classical Japanese. Eventually I found a modern Japanese translation of Genji Monogatari, which finally netted me a reasonable interpretation. But yeah... that kind of thing slows you down a lot.

So uhhh .. what am I saying? I am sort of reading/teaser-translating whatever I happen to find interesting, but any interested translator is welcome to take over.
the_naming_game

Another 2.5 pages. If you handled the first 2.5, this should be a breeze.
- In the notebook Morino had brought: the killing of Kusuda Mitsue, which parts were attached to trees, what kind of nails were used. Page after page of detailed, matter-of-fact notes.
- I knew a lot about this incident, since I had followed it on TV, magazines, and the internet. But still, this notebook spoke exhaustively of details that no media outlet had covered.
- "So as I see it, her killer dropped this notebook."
- Kusuda Mitsue had been a high schooler in a neighboring prefecture. She had been last seen by friends who parted with her at the building in front of the station. And then Kusuda Mitsue became the first victim of the bizzare murders, even now able to cause a stir throughout Japan.
- There had been one more incident with the same modus operandi; they were believed to be serial murders.
- "And the second victim is written there too."
<!-- p009 -->

- 6/21
- I talk with a girl holding a shopping bag, waiting for the bus.
- She calls herself Nakanishi Kasumi.
- I offer to take her home in my car.
- Upon realizing that I am heading towards H mountain and not her house, the girl begins to cause a disturbance while in the passenger seat.
- I temporarily stop the car and strike her with a hammer, and she becomes quiet.
- I take the girl to a shed in H mountain.

- The name of Nakanishi Kasumi, a student at a vocational school, became known nationwide because of what happened one month ago. From the wildly spreading gossip sparked by the news and newspapers, I already knew about the discovery of the second victim while coming home from school.
- She was inside a shed in H mountain. The building's owner was unknown, and remained that way for a long time. The roof leaked badly; the inside was covered with mold and stains. With walls and floor of wooden planking, it was three meters square.
- An elderly man who lived at the base [of the mountain] had come to H mountain to collect wild vegetables, and in the early morning, had discovered that the shed's door had been unexpectedly left open. Wondering at this, he tried coming closer, and then a terrible stench hit his nose.
- The elderly man checked the inside of the shed through the entrance. In the beginning, there was no way he could have realized what had happened.
<!-- p010 -->
- On the floor of the shed, Nakanishi Kasumi had been arranged. Like the first victim, each part had been separated. She had been distributed methodically, in 10 centimeter intervals over the floor, in a 10 by 10 pattern. In short, her body had been separated into one hundred small clumps.
- Inside the notebook, the scene of the production process was described.
- In two incidents, no one had seen the criminal; the person who had killed them had not been caught.
- The mass media was still making a fuss about these two cases, as a bizzare serial murder case.
- "I like seeing these kinds of cases in the news."
- "Why?"
- "Because they're abnormal."
- Morino said indifferently.
- I also constantly watched the news for that same reason. And so I understood well what she was trying to say.
- That someone would kill and then separate the pieces. If someone did that, then that kind of person actually exists.
- Morino and I held a special interest in these kinds of miserable stories. We would always seek out episodes of such misery that you'd want to hang yourself upon hearing them. [悲惨で、聞いた瞬間に首を吊りたくなるエピソードを常に求めていた。]
- I had never directly mentioned this strange trait, but we had both silently sensed it in each other.
- Perhaps normal people would grimace at this. Our emotional sensitivity was out of sync. Which is why, when talking about the different torture devices around the world, and different methods for execution, we would talk in especially low voices.
- Morino raised her face from the notebook and looked out the window.<!-- p011 --> I knew that she was imagining the scene of Nakanishi Kasumi's various parts being arranged on the floor.
- "This notebook, where did you find it?"
- When I asked, she began to explain.

Hopefully this doesn't spoil the mood, but did anyone else think "ecchi mountain"?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

the_naming_game wrote:Hopefully this doesn't spoil the mood, but did anyone else think "ecchi mountain"?
Haha I thought the same thing. I was imagining some perverted theme-park or something. :D
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

I just bought the official Chinese translation, and I have to say that it's dark, and kind of disturbing, to say the least. The description of Nanami's corpse was really... bloody >.<

The novel I have contains the first 6 chapters (GOTH, Wristcut, Dog, Twins, Grave, Voice). Are there any further chapters published? I may take a break from FMP and start on this. I'm a sucker for Mystery, Horror and Gore, so it goes without saying that I'm very interested in translating this. It's heavy psychological horror, mystery and gore in one, and I'm really enjoying it now (currently only up to 2nd chapter, Wristcut) ;P

P/S: Unlike Higurashi, this doesn't have psycho lolis (yet?), and friends don't suddenly go berserk (yet?), so it's more down-to-earth IMO. But Higurashi gets an extra boost in the form of Rena. Rena apologizing in the rain FTW
/me claws out throat and dies
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

:| Don't bail on my HC!
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

HolyCow wrote:Does anybody have a summary/synopsis of this? It seems... Interesting 8)

But of course, it isn't completely without some killer-lolis... Perhaps some will turn up later in the story? ;P
Well, even if it doesn't end up having any psycho killer-lolis, from what has been translated do far, it at least has psycho-killed lolis... ^_^

Return to “GOTH”