Campione! - Names, Terminology and Stylistic Issues

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

孙悟空
My mind has been blown out the window.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

huh? why?

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:
孙悟空
My mind has been blown out the window.
:lol:

Well, from all the mythological creatures, he's probably the most well known.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Damn you, you actually made me to make a detour through China-Wiki to find this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong, the Monkey King... and no, I didn't know him. Never heard of him, actually.

I need some help with a Chinese name: 姓は羅、名は翠蓮、字は濠。 Family name 羅, name 翠蓮, courtesy name (?) 濠. I need the Romanizations and the most concise and precise and beautiful and overall best way to put that into the list. Ideally something like "羅・翠蓮・濠 Luo Cui Lian Hao"

Also, I'll wait some more days and then clean up the "under discussion" list and add new stuff that I've already gathered on the wiki. If you want your opinion known, speak now and forever rest in pieces... was it?

P.S.: Ichigo, guess what I just stumbled upon... 『白き巫女姫』, White Miko-Hime... another reason why hime-miko should stay hime-miko.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I have no idea what 字 means besides 'word'.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Dictionary says "Chinese courtesy name (name formerly given to adult Chinese men, used in place of their given name in formal situations);". Anyway, it's not about the Japanese sentence but the name described within.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I've never heard of that in my life. I blame never having been raised in a Chinese speaking country.

The one you wrote seems the most apt to me, in terms of pronunciation.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Kadi wrote:Dictionary says "Chinese courtesy name (name formerly given to adult Chinese men, used in place of their given name in formal situations);". Anyway, it's not about the Japanese sentence but the name described within.
Are you sure it isn't 子?

Unless you are talking about 表字, which is like another name given.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

a) http://jisho.org/words/?jap=%E5%AD%97&eng=&dict=edict, 6th entry (あざな) says what I quoted above.
b) I copied the "姓は羅、名は翠蓮、字は濠。" directly from the txt-raws. And I checked it, it really is 字 in the images as well, and it identically shows up again later.

But I still don't really care about that, I want to know how I can properly put it into the terminology list so that nobody misunderstands ~~ Or which order is best.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I have no idea what 字 means besides 'word'.
It is kind of like a second name but not exactly the same. Technically it is called Style Name in English whereas in Japanese it is called Azana. The use of such has already been obsolete in Chinese speaking communities. Currently it is limited to extremely old-fashioned people or historical figures.

Let's take the famous 諸葛亮 (ZHUGE Liang) as an example. A full description of his name is 姓諸葛,名亮,字孔明. 姓 is the surname and 名 is the given name, so the English romanization is Liang Zhuge. In Chinese he may be referred to by the following ways.

諸葛先生 (Mr ZHUGE)
諸葛亮 (Liang ZHUGE)
諸葛孔明 (Kongming ZHUGE)
孔明先生 (Mr Kongming)
孔明 (Kongming)

The English romanization should also follow the same rule. Romanizing 姓は羅、名は翠蓮、字は濠 as Luo Cui Lian Hao is wrong.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Kadi wrote:
P.S.: Ichigo, guess what I just stumbled upon... 『白き巫女姫』, White Miko-Hime... another reason why hime-miko should stay hime-miko.
Yeah, it should. I'm wondering how you're gonna translate Son Goku's other name. 齐天大圣。孙悟空. Just romanize it? Or are you gonna use the Japanese pronunciation for it?

I also stumbled upon two other heretic gods, Cho Hakkai and Sha Gojyo. That's the name they are generally referred to, I don't know how to translate their names when they were heretic gods. And also their Master Genjo Sanzo was mentioned.

Spoiler regarding Vol 6, chapter 1
Spoiler! :
And also J.P.S. real name Annie Charlton???? This one I'm not sure how to be translated.
Last edited by Kadi on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tag to spoiler... sorry

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Doraneko wrote:[...]The English romanization should also follow the same rule. Romanizing 姓は羅、名は翠蓮、字は濠 as Luo Cui Lian Hao is wrong.
Uhm, yeah, I know, but... I never wanted to translate the Japanese sentence. I only gave it as a source. What I'm looking for is the best way to put her name in both in Kanji and Romanized in a list, as simple and unambiguously as possible. Edit2: And I just found it. Thanks a lot. By the way, is Cui Lian or Cuilian better?

Ichigo, about your question regarding Son Goku and the others... for example, (English) Wiki redirects Cho Hakkai to Zhu Bajie. Since it seems to be a Chinese character, I am for going with the Chinese name, or rather its most common romanization. It'll get a footnote anyway, and there we can add the romanized Japanese name as well as a Wiki link.

Edit: Ichigo, I allowed myself to add spoiler tags to your post. And yes, what you said is right. The spelling is, too.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Kadi wrote:Edit2: And I just found it. Thanks a lot. By the way, is Cui Lian or Cuilian better?
There isn't any specific rule, but I'd pick Cuilian for simplicity and clarity.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Doraneko wrote:
YoakeNoHikari wrote:I have no idea what 字 means besides 'word'.
It is kind of like a second name but not exactly the same. Technically it is called Style Name in English whereas in Japanese it is called Azana. The use of such has already been obsolete in Chinese speaking communities. Currently it is limited to extremely old-fashioned people or historical figures.

Let's take the famous 諸葛亮 (ZHUGE Liang) as an example. A full description of his name is 姓諸葛,名亮,字孔明. 姓 is the surname and 名 is the given name, so the English romanization is Liang Zhuge. In Chinese he may be referred to by the following ways.

諸葛先生 (Mr ZHUGE)
諸葛亮 (Liang ZHUGE)
諸葛孔明 (Kongming ZHUGE)
孔明先生 (Mr Kongming)
孔明 (Kongming)

The English romanization should also follow the same rule. Romanizing 姓は羅、名は翠蓮、字は濠 as Luo Cui Lian Hao is wrong.
I see, I always wondered why he had more than one name.
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Kadi wrote:
Doraneko wrote:[...]The English romanization should also follow the same rule. Romanizing 姓は羅、名は翠蓮、字は濠 as Luo Cui Lian Hao is wrong.
Uhm, yeah, I know, but... I never wanted to translate the Japanese sentence. I only gave it as a source. What I'm looking for is the best way to put her name in both in Kanji and Romanized in a list, as simple and unambiguously as possible. Edit2: And I just found it. Thanks a lot. By the way, is Cui Lian or Cuilian better?

Ichigo, about your question regarding Son Goku and the others... for example, (English) Wiki redirects Cho Hakkai to Zhu Bajie. Since it seems to be a Chinese character, I am for going with the Chinese name, or rather its most common romanization. It'll get a footnote anyway, and there we can add the romanized Japanese name as well as a Wiki link.

Edit: Ichigo, I allowed myself to add spoiler tags to your post. And yes, what you said is right. The spelling is, too.
ok, I just thought that you guys might use the Japanese name when referring to the heretic gods since it's written by a Japanese author. Well either one's fine with me.

Cui Lian is better. It's always better to separate the name.
Spoiler! :
oh, and Sun Wu Kong is referred to as 齐天大圣 more than 孙悟空 in the LN, so I'm still wondering how you're gonna translate it.

Other names and aspects that refer to Sun Wu Kong:
美猴王: Handsome Monkey King
火眼金睛:Wikipedia translates as Fiery Eyes Golden Gaze
孙行者: I don't know how to translate this one.
Last edited by lchigo93 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Campione”