Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Pryun »

I don't know about you, but tropes led me here.

@ twig sword: I keep getting horrible mental images of a twig used as a sword(as opposed to a sword made from a special twig)
Horrible because that seems kinda overpowered, defeating enemies with a twig...Like Hinagiku. Hey , she gets a wooden sword too!
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

I expect the odds of finding dual blades is imposible, since the computer must read your mind
for you to be thinking of dual blades and match the proper sequence to start. If any one could learn
it would be Rina-senpai.
As for the twig-sword I am sure it is growing nicely. :)
gn_x00
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

*Kirito wielding a twig*
Enemy: "..."
*Vertical Square*
Enemy: "..."
*enemy die*

more than 2 hit skills with a mere twig? OP?
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

@twig sword: I wouldn't sell twigs so short: Heard of Mistilteinn? It literally means mistletoe, and it's either the twig that Loki used to kill Balder, or a legendary and mythical sword used by some king to kill countless foes(suspiciously similar to excalibur).

@Pryun: funny that, I first heard of SAO from a game: Zetai Hero Project: Absolute Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman(despite the name, it is an awesome game with a magnificent story). When I saw Dark Repulser and Elucidator as cameo items, and saw the name Sword Art Online in their descriptions, something clicked and I saw the light that is Baka-Tsuki.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

Kirito needs to be careful with that twig, poking someones eye out would surely lower their Life!

Also avoiding splinters in your hands while you are fighting is a skill only Kirito can master I'm sure , so the twig will only be usable by him.

I have no idea what tropes is or that insanely long game name.
Was reading the manga after the anime came out and a comment about the LN explaining why Asuna said "Charging complete" before entering KoB headquarters with Kirito appeared.
Took me 1 minute to Google what LN means and reach Baka-Tsuki.
That being said , I still don't understand why she said that :)
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

Sludge wrote:Kirito needs to be careful with that twig, poking someones eye out would surely lower their Life!

Also avoiding splinters in your hands while you are fighting is a skill only Kirito can master I'm sure , so the twig will only be usable by him.
Kirito dual skill Flower pot bash
Arg!!! No! :)
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

M.A.D wrote: The senpai's dual wielding style is different from Kirito's Dual Blades skill. If it's just using two weapons with two hands, anyone can do it, but Dual Blades is a skill included in the system and can be performed with System Assist. Using two weapons with two hands isn't a concept that is too hard to imagine, so I'm sure a lot of people can develop it. However, there is only one Dual Blades skill in this world that is recognised by the system, and even without taking in consideration the kind of luck or imagination to discover it, the mere requirement to be able to perform it is enough a challenge as it is.

Look at it this way. Kirito can only perform a 5-consecutive-hits skill with a Divine-class weapon, the same kind that Integrity Knights use. That means, even if some people have the imagination to look for, or the luck to strike a pose that is the starter motion of a Dual Blade skill, they'd most probably won't be able to activate it due to the lack of strength. At the very least, any one lesser than an Integrity Knight can't do it. However, there is only a handful of people who reached that level, and those who did would have mastered a single-bladed sword style already when they reached it, and thus would be more confident with using the sword they already have in hand rather than trying to develop new skills with a second sword. Further more, they would have to frequently go out on missions, protecting the border of the world using the single-bladed sword skills that they already knew, and that would lowers the chance of discovering a dual wielding skill.

In conclusion, the chance of anyone other than Kirito having a Dual Blade skill is possible, but also unlikely. Unless, of course, if it's a million-to-one chance, then it's a sure thing.
I was talking bout duel wield skill from Aincrad since that was a unique skill. We don't know for sure that there is no duel wield skill in UW. Given the fact that duel wielding has been shown by an UW citizen already with a sword and whip it is possible that a whole style focusing on duel wielding swords is there that we haven't seen yet.
Sludge wrote:Kirito needs to be careful with that twig, poking someones eye out would surely lower their Life!

I have no idea what tropes is or that insanely long game name.
Was reading the manga after the anime came out and a comment about the LN explaining why Asuna said "Charging complete" before entering KoB headquarters with Kirito appeared.
Took me 1 minute to Google what LN means and reach Baka-Tsuki.
That being said , I still don't understand why she said that :)
The "Charging complete" thing is kinda hard to explain but has been used multiple times in other lns/mangas/animes. Basically its like the person is charging their confidence or something like that using the feelings they have of the person they are holding on to. I can't really explain it better than that but I know that it doesn't explain it adequately either.
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

Back to dual swords, after reading chapter 2 volume 10, We will get to see Real sword fighting as
Kirito will have his own sword. I wonder what will be a fitting name for it?
Les
Astral Realm

Post by Les »

The sword name should have something about Gigas in the name as an homage to the material used to make it I think.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

Cryum wrote:@Pryun: funny that, I first heard of SAO from a game: Zetai Hero Project: Absolute Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman(despite the name, it is an awesome game with a magnificent story). When I saw Dark Repulser and Elucidator as cameo items, and saw the name Sword Art Online in their descriptions, something clicked and I saw the light that is Baka-Tsuki.
And when you put them together...

And saying that alone seems really pointless, so here's a summary of interesting tweets.
- Red players are called red players, but their cursors are still orange-coloured, it's just that they killed someone.
- Equipment slots on player includes right hand, left hand, head (top), head, body, arm, etc up to a total of around 10 slots.
Also, the supermarket he frequents seems to be overcharging their cabbages.
Last edited by Tap on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

@ sword name: wouldn't cedar be better? Gigas would Imply a HUGE sword.
@ mistletoe-- please, balder was immune to everything else, so being the only object able to slay him was the only thing mistletoe could have done. besides, it was thrown with the strength of a god(despite being blind... how did he aim? magic?), so even if something else was the object, most people aside from balder would have died
@ game: first time I heard of it. what type is it?

^ why is overcharging cabbages interesting to you?
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

Gohankuten wrote: The "Charging complete" thing is kinda hard to explain but has been used multiple times in other lns/mangas/animes. Basically its like the person is charging their confidence or something like that using the feelings they have of the person they are holding on to. I can't really explain it better than that but I know that it doesn't explain it adequately either.
Yeah I figured that was the general meaning of it , I guess I'm just confused why the manga said the LN will give me more context :)
Tap wrote: And saying that alone seems really pointless, so here's a summary of interesting tweets.
- Red players are called red players, but their cursors are still orange-coloured, it's just that they killed someone.
- Equipment slots on player includes right hand, left hand, head (top), head, body, arm, etc up to a total of around 10 slots.
Also, the supermarket he frequents seems to be overcharging their cabbages.
- So basically you can't tell red apart from normal orange players just by looking at them? that's disturbing.
- Everyone have both left and right hand ? and the fact you have head (top) and head is kinda funny :)
- They shouldn't mess with a person need for cabbage!

I'm going for "Demonic Splinter" as the sword name (I think they called the tree the "Demon Tree" as well at times)
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Well, you can equip shields, after all.
It probably deals with left-handed players too, seeing as the "main hand" is always referred to as the "main hand", without specifying which it is.
As for the head thing, it uses different kanji (頭 and 首). Something like the difference between a hat and a full face helmet, I guess?

BUNBUN's 27th birthday is in roughly an hour. (three hours from this post)
He's hosting a livestream, so if anyone is interested...
Well, if you just want to wish him happy birthday, you can just toss a "お誕生日おめでとう" in.
Last edited by Tap on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

--merged with above, can't delete posts on my own, huh...--
Last edited by Tap on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

Tap wrote:Well, you can equip shields, after all.
It probably deals with left-handed players too, seeing as the "main hand" is always referred to as the "main hand", without specifying which it is.
As for the head thing, it uses different kanji (頭 and 首). Something like the difference between a hat and a full face helmet, I guess?
I feel silly that I forgot you need another hand slot for shield as well :)
And he is using text to speech his stream and constantly laughing from it it seems (I don't understand enough to understand full sentences and can't read at all :( )
scary how fast he draws what he wants , I'm jealous.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”