Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

Post by Misogi »

M.A.D wrote:So are they using the same proof reader now?
The usual one, since the company started simulcasting animes. It's a reliable proofreader, so I don't hink there'll be a lot of problems in the next episodes.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Shin Aku
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shin Aku »

OK, here are some conformations hard to read but it is possible
Spoiler! :
thinker.png
Spoiler! :
kleingr.png
Spoiler! :
agil.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

Here's the list in that segment.

Accurate/Changed:
Nishida
Silica
Lisbeth
Agil
Sasha
Johnny Black
XaXa
PoH
Klein
Schmitt
Grimlock
Kibaou
Yolko
Caynz

Changing:
Gin -> Ginn
Yuriel -> Yulier
Sinker -> Thinker

Unknown?:
Mosaku
Tonnura
Mina
Harry One
Issin
Dynamm
Kunimittz
Dale
Yamata
Shivata
Lind

Did characters with a name similar to anyone on this list appear in the novels?
I'll go change those three names, Yulier sounds odd, but if it's canon...
Skeptic
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Skeptic »

Yikes, those blurry screencaps! Here's an easier to read version:
Spoiler! :
playerlist.jpg
Caynz, Yolko, Kibaou, Grimlock, Schmitt, Lind, Shivata, Yamata, Klein, Dale, Kunimittz, Dynamm, Issin, Harry One, Thinker, Yulier, PoH, XaXa, Johnny Black, Sasha, Ginn, Mina, Agil, Lisbeth, Tonnura, Mosaku, Silica, Nishida

Since it seems to be grouped, I guess that means Lind, Shivata, and Yamata are Schmitt's DDA buddies and Dale, Kunimittz, Dynamm, Issin, and Harry One are Klein's original guildies. I don't think they were ever named in the books, but they have headshots there...

Ginn and Mina are two of the kids Sasha takes care of.
I found Mosaku and Tonnura entirely by accident when looking for where Asuna's friends list was shown; they're fighting a duel in ep5 while Kirito and Asuna are talking about duelling rules. I couldn't find Asuna's friend list though. I swear it's in the anime somewhere. It didn't show much more than we already know, though; Godfree and the master tailor (I forgot her name, it's an "A"-name though).

edit: Tap posted while I was writing the first version of this, heh. Also, found Asuna's list in episode 6. Ashley is the tailor. Also there's one "Daizen" on her list who wasn't in the anime, but I think that's the KoB head of finance; book 1 chapter 13 has him spelled Daigen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Yep, it's Daizen.
Changed it. Guess it resembled Daigen in the Korean version or something.

Mina didn't appear in the text though, did she?
Skeptic
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Skeptic »

I don't think Mina was named in the books, only in the episode. Sasha called out to three of them in episode 11. "Ginn! Kain! Mina!". "Kain" wasn't in Kayaba's list there, so I only have what the fansub chose for spelling... although there's a "Kain" on the wall at the end of episode 1, so maybe that's the same kid.

Here's a shot of the Fuurinkazan members in episode 9:
Spoiler! :
fuurinkazan.jpg
They DO seem to map well to the (tiny) headshots in Kayaba's list after Klein; from left to right, they'd be Issin (brown hair, no headband), Harry One (his helm's nose guard is pretty visible in the headshot), Dale (big round head, white knotted headband thing, and afro), Dynamm (can kinda see his red headband and maybe the 'stache), and Kunimittz (black hair, no other obvious head accessories).

Here are two shots of Schmitt's party in episode 13:
Spoiler! :
divine dragons.jpg
They do seem to fit with the headshots of the four guys under Schmitt in Kayaba's list. Schmitt himself we already know. Shivata's the one with the helmet. Lind would be the poofy haired guy and Yamata would be the one with the tail or topknot or whatever.

I don't know whether the animation studio made those names up on their own or asked Kawahara.
I thought of other things while digging for those screenshots:
I noticed Daizen did get shown selling tickets in episode 10 :).
The genderswap lovebirds shown in episode 1 (and again trying to party with Silica later!) never got named. Maybe they'll somehow get slipped into the background in one of the ALO epilogue scenes so we'll know if they made it out alive?
The other KoB leaders were shown (blurrily in the distance) at the KoB HQ meeting table with Heathcliff, but never got named. The other KoB members that came with him to the 75th floor battle didn't get named either. Argo and Rosalia got shown in the anime but weren't on the list, though both should have survived.
Lind, Shivata, and Yamata were among the DDA members shown confronting Fuurinkazan in episode 3 (you can tell Shivata from the other helmeted guys because Shivata's helm doesn't cover his mouth); but no Schmitt, even though he would have been in DDA by then.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Skeptic wrote:I don't think Mina was named in the books, only in the episode. Sasha called out to three of them in episode 11. "Ginn! Kain! Mina!". "Kain" wasn't in Kayaba's list there, so I only have what the fansub chose for spelling... although there's a "Kain" on the wall at the end of episode 1, so maybe that's the same kid.
...Right, I mistranslated that part and missed out the name.
It's fixed in the text now.
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

Well at least we got (Red Eyed) XaXa correct.
Ne, onegai. Set me free, ne? Kore kara ii ko ni naru kara... ne?
Zero2001.
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

Tap wrote:Apostrophes' encoding?
You mean the difference between the usage of ' and ?
Word processors (e.g. Microsoft Word) usually uses the second for apostrophes, while the first is used by text editors (e.g. Notepad), so that's the reason why you see both of them.
The reason why there's no standard is due to the differing habits of each translator (and the semi-epic war of words between Vaelis and Zero).

And I'll change them in a day or two if no one has any objections.
No need. I'm already in the process of doing so. Please be a little patient. If I've missed any chapters please tell me.

Unless, of course, you're talking about versions other than the English one.
Zero2001.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Zero2001 wrote:No need. I'm already in the process of doing so. Please be a little patient. If I've missed any chapters please tell me.

Unless, of course, you're talking about versions other than the English one.
Context.
I was referring to the "Lindearth, Thinker, Yulier and Corbatz" a couple of posts before that.

...Guess I'll get to doing Lindearth and Corbatz.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Salemburg (61th Floor), Khamdett (74th Floor, city of the front line not revealed in the LN) were confirmed in Episode 8.

For ALF, I found "Armée de Libération de l'Aincrad", which means "Aincrad('s) Liberation Army". It doesn't fit the letters, though.

Grandum (55th Floor) and Corbatz were confirmed in Episode 9, Collinia (75th Floor) in Episode 10.

Is "Shinseiken" the original meaning of "Holy Sword"? I found this, not translated.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Shinseiken's Holy/Divine/Sacred Sword, yes.

And yea, that Army thing is something that we've been trying to settle for ages.
We're using Force vs. Front used by some sub groups though.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Tap wrote:Shinseiken's Holy/Divine/Sacred Sword, yes.

And yea, that Army thing is something that we've been trying to settle for ages.
We're using Force vs. Front used by some sub groups though.
Thanks.

Yeah, I know that it wouldn't resolve the "Force or Front" problem, unless one of the words was used in French.
----
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

So... should we change Teiza to the more correct Tizei (or Tizay)?

ティーゼ sounds and is romanized closer to Tizei.

Teiza is obviously wrong. Plus Tizei is a properly used name in real life.
Zero2001.
M.A.D
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

Apparently, RECTO's real name is RCT. Anyone want to do the honors?
Zero2001 wrote:So... should we change Teiza to the more correct Tizei (or Tizay)?

ティーゼ sounds and is romanized closer to Tizei.

Teiza is obviously wrong. Plus Tizei is a properly used name in real life.
As far as romanisation goes, I think if the name ends with a "z", they'd still pronounce it as "zi", right? So... Tiez?

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”