WRISTCUT Translation

General discussion related to this novel

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

It had something to do with a boil of sort that somehow grew and became infected without me noticing it.

:?

P/S: And yes my moe is still stuck on GOTHs. Yoru is just too moe for me :P
/me claws out throat and dies
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Wristcut up to 80%

Shinohara returns home... :twisted:

Off-topic: I'll most likely not do anymore tomorrow. I've got a medical appointment tomorrow :?
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Wristcut up to 85%

Shinohara confronts the thief! Who will be victorious in their bloody struggle?

(Fine, fine, I know it's a very overdone summary but meh :P )

I've actually finished the entire chapter 4 (up to 90%), but I've decided to leave you guys on a cliffhanger here so you'll wonder what happens! :)

On a side note, my checkup went smoother than planned, and I didn't need to stay in the hospital like I originally expected, which is why you're seeing more of Wristcut today 8)

P/S: Thanks to Seth I can now go and watch more Ghost Hunt to scare the shyt out of me. It's 2 am in the morning here now :twisted:
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Spoiler! :
Shame on Boku for being such a coward and getting poor Morino into trouble!
P.S.
HolyCow wrote:I've actually finished the entire chapter 4 (up to 90%), but I've decided to leave you guys on a cliffhanger here so you'll wonder what happens! :)
I hate you. :P
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Yea, but Yoru is still awesome... You'll see why...

Wristcut up to 90%. Cliffhanger resolved, end of chapter 4. My next update (epilogue) will probably wrap this chapter up.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Wristcut completed. The long awaited ending!!
Spoiler! :
Okay, the ending is really cheesy... -.-
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

Okay, I finished "Wristcut" with some help from HolyCow's translation. Hiragana is pretty evil when you can't tell where the word boundaries are...

Anyway, I know there is some missing text somewhere in the middle, but unfortunately, I can't recall exactly where. It is either during or before the "intrusion" ... I think. I may look for it later, but HolyCow might be able to find it faster, since he's actually fluent in his source language... These two missing sections are from the epilogue, so they were easy to find. The parts in gray are HolyCow's.
 たまたま本棚にあった森野に関係した本をずらしたのは、わざとらしい駄目押しだったかも
しれない。
 森野が手を盗んだ泥棒であると判断し、先生が彼女を殺して手を切断すれば、僕の計画は完
成だった。後は先生が彼女の切断した手を冷蔵庫に保存するのを待って、それを盗みに行けば
いいのだ。もちろん様々な部分に不確定な要素は多くあった。そもそも、先生が森野を殺した
として、必ず手首を切断して持ち帰るとはかぎらないのだ。しかし達成できる可能性はゼロで
はなかった。
 僕が欲しかったのはただひとつ、森野の優美な白い手だけだった。
「私にも、その表情のつくりかたを教えてくれる?」
  Finally, as a last resort, I moved a book on the bookshelf that I had heard Shinohara-sensei talk to Morino about before. Maybe that was a little overdone.
  Once the teacher had judged Morino to be the thief who had stolen his hands, killed her, and then severed her hands, my plan would be complete. I would wait until afterwards, when the teacher would have put the severed hands in the refrigerator to preserve them. Then I would be able to steal them. Of course, there were many elements of uncertainty in various places. In the first place, it wasn't given that the teacher, in killing Morino, would necessarily cut off her hands and take them home. However, the possibility he would do that was not zero.
  What I wanted was one thing, just Morino's elegant white hands.

"Could you teach me how to make that same expression too?"
 今でも彼女は、痴漢だと思って撃退したのがリストカット事件の犯人であることに気づいて
いない。そして僕は、時折、今でも彼女の手に見とれるのだ。もしかすると篠原先生に切断さ
せなくて良かったかもしれないと思う。それは、生きている方が美しいといったことではない。
篠原先生は間違った個所で切断してしまいかねなかった。
「別に、なんでもない」
 そう返事をして、下校するために立ちあがる。
 僕が森野の手を欲しいと思ったのは、自殺しようとしたことを示すリストカットの美しい傷
跡が手首に残っていたからだ。
  She hadn’t realized that Shinohara-sensei, who she had mistook as a pervert and beat up with a lab chair, was actually the criminal behind the Wristcut incident. And sometimes, even now, I'm fascinated by her hands. I think maybe it was for the best that Shinohara-sensei wasn't able to cut off her hands. Not because they were more beautiful alive, but because Shinohara-sensei would not have hesitated to cut in the wrong spot.
  “Nothing, just curious.”
  That was what I replied. And then I rose to go home from school.
  I think why I wanted Morino's hands was that the signs of a suicide attempt, a wristcut, had left a beautiful scar on that wrist.
Thoughts on this story... um... my mood for writing has hit almost zero. But here goes.
Spoiler! :
Boku is pretty meticulous to say the least. And probably more scary than any of the criminals. The attitude that was evident in "Goth", was even more apparent here. He's fascinated with the thought of her destruction. And from her suicide attempt, she's fascinated with her own, it seems.

Morino has, twice, been left clueless about the whole thing ... I wonder if this trend will continue?
(edit: Change "And even now, ..." to "And sometimes, even now, ...")
Last edited by the_naming_game on Mon May 28, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

O.o

The parts TNG pointed out were definitely NOT in my RAW. And I'm working with a hard copy too.

I find the missing parts to be extremely important, but at the same time, extremely contradicting with VOICE's ending. I've checked VOICE's epilogue in the Japanese RAW, and its similar to my own copy, including the crucial line that contradicts Boku's actions in WRISTCUT.

Either the translators for the chinese edition were very sloppy (highly unlikely - they missed out 2 whole paragraphs), or they made a revised edition based on the ending of VOICE.

I'm not going to post the VOICE-related spoiler here, simply because its a freaking huge one. If you really want to know, all I'm going to say is that it concerns one very big question:
Spoiler! :
What is Morino to Boku?
I'll stop on the spoiler related stuff and proceed on with my thoughts, but just in case, I'm going to spoiler tag it:
Spoiler! :
Boku's actions throughout my novel are very well connected with his answer. Everything he did so far (in GOTH and WRISTCUT) ties in with his reply at the end. However, the missing text TNG pointed out just undermines everything and contradicts with his statement.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Contridictions FTW!

:twisted:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Admin spam FTW!!

:twisted:
the_naming_game

Spam vs spam? And on top of that -- et tu, Oni? What kind of example are you setting!

HolyCow:
I read your second spoiler, but was too scared to read your first spoiler, needless to say.

I made a small addition to my translation which may make it more in line with what you expected; I've edited my previous post. Does the small change I made help things any? (Actually, I can see how it might be a big change. The way it was before was stronger sounding... and yes, 時折 tokiori "sometimes" is the word I was missing before. It could also be translated "occasionally".)

I probably can't really respond that well to you without opening that other spoiler, but
Spoiler! :
Boku wanting Morino's hands was in the manga as well, so were you talking about something different from that?
I know it's frustrating, but could you just answer yes/no and put any spoilery details into a spoiler I'm probably not going to read until much later?

----

I have only one possible theory about the missing text. The potential is not zero (how could I resist?), that the reprinting of GOTH into dual GO and TH parts, had some edits to it. And then if the Chinese translators worked off of that version, this would explain it. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm or deny this theory.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

That's what I thought too. Maybe they somehow released a 'revised' edition during the printings of GO and TH.

Prior to this, I had no idea that Boku wanted Morino's hands. I thought it was an extra addition to the manga in order to explain some of his motives, but after rereading the epilogue of VOICE again, it just doesn't make sense.

My first spoiler tag isn't actually a spoiler, it's just a very subtle clue of what happened in VOICE. At the end of voice, we are given a very important answer to this particular question (not a spoiler actually, but to prevent any people from complaining, I've included it in a spoiler tag):
Spoiler! :
What is Morino to Boku?
Now my thoughts on this issue:
Spoiler! :
The only explanation I can think of on the top of my head is that something happened in GRAVE that changed teh way Boku thought of Morino... Without those paragraphs his actions would have made perfect sense but now they seem to contradict each other.
Is there any way you can obtain a RAW of the GO or the TH novel?
the_naming_game

Okay, I've read everything you had in spoiler tags, and thankfully, it was devoid of true spoilers. My reply:

Well, to be precise, (Wristcut spoiler only)
Spoiler! :
He only wanted Morino's hands at the time of the story. Later he just says that he's still fascinated by them, not that he still wants to cut them off.
So that wouldn't be contradictory, right?

I don't think I'll be able to get "GO" and "TH" raws through my current channels... meh.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Well, I think its best if we add in those lines for the moment. I'll try to find a copy of the GO/TH novel.

P/S: TNG could you add the missing lines in the wiki for me? I'm currently in my hometown and stuck with a 56k connection -.-
shadowpact
Astral Realm

Post by shadowpact »

Thank you very much for translating this series. Otsu-ichi is a very takented writer in a wiered way, but he's very good.

Thank you TGM and HC for translating this series. I LOVE YOU GUYS !

Return to “GOTH”