A real life Kirito?

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Balderdash
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

A real life Kirito?

Post by Balderdash »

So we've all seen the crazy stuff that Kirito is supposed to be able to do with a sword, even going so far as to deflect bullets in mid air, and we all know that's going over the top. After all, that's completely impossible, right? ... Or is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk

Kirito? Is that you?
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: A real life Kirito?

Post by eduardogranja »

I already knew about this guy, and being able to do what he does is amazing, but it's not even close to Kirito's speed.

You see, one of the aspects that define the damage of a weapon is the speed of the bullet. The best kind of BB Gun out there shoots bullets at a speed that goes from 114m/s to 140m/s. A Hecate II, in retrospect, shoot a bullet at 825m/s. Considering the distance, it's safe to say the bullet doesn't slow down much.

Kirito is unnatural, but this guy is the closest one can get to his reaction time, indeed
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

eduardogranja wrote:I already knew about this guy, and being able to do what he does is amazing, but it's not even close to Kirito's speed.

You see, one of the aspects that define the damage of a weapon is the speed of the bullet. The best kind of BB Gun out there shoots bullets at a speed that goes from 114m/s to 140m/s. A Hecate II, in retrospect, shoot a bullet at 825m/s. Considering the distance, it's safe to say the bullet doesn't slow down much.

Kirito is unnatural, but this guy is the closest one can get to his reaction time, indeed
It's important to note that reaction time isn't the only factor in play; Predicting where the shot will go and seeing the various "tells" of the shooter is crucial in areas where reaction time fails us.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by mythu »

Spoiler! :
That's a fine notice Balderdash!
Yet..Kirito just like any other being will always remain unique.
The surprising fact IMO, allmost nothing is impossible in the novel resembling somewhat a true alternate future reality comparable with nowaday's potential existences.
Even more astounding may be that we all have an equal chance to achieve Kirigaya Kazuto's level of personality or even exceed his
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

Um, there is also the state of mind. This guy can get ready to try to stop a low velocity bullet. Doing it in the middle of a gun fight might be a completely different story.

Especially since he don't have a gap closer :lol:
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

mythu wrote: The surprising fact IMO, allmost nothing is impossible in the novel resembling somewhat a true alternate future reality comparable with nowaday's potential existences.
I'd say that it's not like almost nothing is impossible in the novels. It's more like nothing is impossible in the virtual world. Inside the world created by the Amusphere, one's physical limitations can be ignored, with our minds being the only thing that matters. Without the limitation of our own bodies, a lot of impossible things suddenly becames achievable
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

eduardogranja wrote:
mythu wrote: The surprising fact IMO, allmost nothing is impossible in the novel resembling somewhat a true alternate future reality comparable with nowaday's potential existences.
I'd say that it's not like almost nothing is impossible in the novels. It's more like nothing is impossible in the virtual world. Inside the world created by the Amusphere, one's physical limitations can be ignored, with our minds being the only thing that matters. Without the limitation of our own bodies, a lot of impossible things suddenly becames achievable
That's not technically true. When you enter a virtual reality you need to follow the rules it has set in place(unless you're a GM/local God). You trade the limitations of your physical body for the limitations of your virtual avatar, which are usually far less to allow a sense of freedom. A world without rules is a world with complete freedom, but also one devoid of meaning.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by mythu »

Yeah, even now we are ignorant of the rules of existence. To break one would slowly lead us to a certain non-existence. When "allmost nothing is impossible in this novel" I was reffering to (our) necessities. So I am lending us a hand to further the creation of the (im)possible to adjust with our necessities.
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

Cryum wrote:
eduardogranja wrote: I'd say that it's not like almost nothing is impossible in the novels. It's more like nothing is impossible in the virtual world. Inside the world created by the Amusphere, one's physical limitations can be ignored, with our minds being the only thing that matters. Without the limitation of our own bodies, a lot of impossible things suddenly becames achievable
That's not technically true. When you enter a virtual reality you need to follow the rules it has set in place(unless you're a GM/local God). You trade the limitations of your physical body for the limitations of your virtual avatar, which are usually far less to allow a sense of freedom. A world without rules is a world with complete freedom, but also one devoid of meaning.
Well, yes. What i'm talking about are limitations such as hunger and stamina. In a VRMMO, one is, if the system allows, as fast as his mind can process things. I'm not saying there is complete freedom. Just the freedom of having a body that does not feel tired, hungry or hurt
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

well, in a sense, you also get more freedom than real world in some cases.
your strength/agility/etc is based on the stat, so you can actually move faster than in real world

but I think it's still limited to your own mind. maybe something like: you have a super fast car, and yet you can't drive it well = useless
I guess if there's some low level player that try to log in into a high level player char in SAO/ALO, then he/she still won't be able to control it well (and in the end the speed of the avatar won't be used in its full potential)
iTomas
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iTomas »

I am slightly amused by the fact that the people replying in this chat is hardly impressed by this guy.

Honestly I didn't think it was possible and remain a little sceptic after seeing the youtube clip.

Concerning your post GN_x00

I'm not quite sure how that would actually play out. Have you ever had a dream where you were so much faster than in real life? I think VRMMO's should be closely related to system controlled dreams. Considering the fact that I haven't been significantly faster in a dream than I have been in real life. Strength is another thing because that's relative, but moving something of your virtual body in a manner that is so much faster than in real life seems impossible. Perhaps system assist is the solution there :).
crd2091
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crd2091 »

iTomas wrote:I am slightly amused by the fact that the people replying in this chat is hardly impressed by this guy.

Honestly I didn't think it was possible and remain a little sceptic after seeing the youtube clip.

Concerning your post GN_x00

I'm not quite sure how that would actually play out. Have you ever had a dream where you were so much faster than in real life? I think VRMMO's should be closely related to system controlled dreams. Considering the fact that I haven't been significantly faster in a dream than I have been in real life. Strength is another thing because that's relative, but moving something of your virtual body in a manner that is so much faster than in real life seems impossible. Perhaps system assist is the solution there :).

But also remember kirito Has two sword in SAO and this guy only use one
AKAAkira
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AKAAkira »

Consider this.

In a virtual world, there's first the consideration of physical capabilities, which has a simple solution: a high STR stat.In Kirito and Sinon's duel at the end of V5, Kirito could move as soon as his bullet hit the ground, and Sinon had to take perhaps 0.2 seconds to move her finger through the entirety of the trigger before the bullet fired. Because of GGO's mechanics, if a sniper had focused hard enough the bullet would've gone exactly where Kirito knows she's aiming. Kirito mostly had to put the blade there - and remember, his sword is a photon sword, so no matter what angle, it'll cut.

In the real world, Japanese swords weigh maybe a kilogram and this guy held it in one hand. The swordsman in the video could only move as soon as the gunner fired, and he had to pull the sword out of its sheath first. The target is a tiny BB ball and could easily shift trajectory the few millimetres that matter by wind or spin, not to mention a BB gun isn't exactly a sniper with a scope. He also just put the blade there and let the BB gun's velocity do the trick, but in this case his blade had less margin of error allowed - ten degrees too high or low, and the BB ball would simply bounce off instead of being sliced.

I'm not quite saying Kirito's reaction time is worse than this guy - he was the best out of 10000 in SAO, after all, and that's gotta count for something. But in terms of showing, I'd say this samurai has Kirito beat.
FaintSmile
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by FaintSmile »

Agree ^^

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”