Plans to lock translations over Christmas, for Editing

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Plans to lock translations over Christmas, for Editing

Post by Kadi »

I'm going on a trip over Christmas and New Year and I thought I could use some of the calm evenings and boring days to edit Campione. Lacking internet, I thought I'll set Volumes 1 through 7 to "Admin/Supervisor access only" and upload the new version once I'm back, at which point I'll set the access back to normal. (temporary locking is necessary for me because I don't want to go through version-matching hell and I don't want people to waste effort in the meantime either)

Plans include killing miko (finally), terminology stuff, finding and standardizing recurring descriptions (乱舞, "wild/boisterous/haphazard dance" comes to mind) and general editing for flow and readability. I guess "esteemed uncle" will have to go, too... and either Onii-chan or Brother, unless that's been done already.

While I'm at it I'll also make a list with matters that I can't/don't want to decide alone, which will serve as a basis for discussion first with zzhk and then with everybody, as necessary.

If you have a problem with this plan or a better suggestion, post now or forever hold your silence. Also, suggestions what might need a look or two are always welcome.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Plans to lock translations over Christmas, for Editing

Post by Misogi »

The beginning of Volume 1 needs to be edited, since there were some problems while translating from the English version.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to your plans, so go ahead.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'd prefer "brother".

As for locking, how about mobilizing a few editors to go over the script once again before they get locked?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

I suppose it's fine for Erica's use of "Esteemed Uncle" to be converted to plain old "Uncle" (after all, she doesn't seem to have any other type anyway), but for Lu YInghua, it's necessary to have various ostentatious forms of uncle-like terms of address.

If you standardize to "Brother" are you offering some kind of alternative to distinguish between "Onii-chan" and "Onii-sama", or is the difference deemed insignificant?

On a separate note, I think "Heretic" is a bit too ingrained to change at this point (though it should be fine for other language versions to alter it).
TJP1600
Project Translator

Post by TJP1600 »

I object, a few of the changes go against my cuteness philosophy. Miko simply sounds cuter, eliminating the word would be detrimental to the cuteness flow. Same with Onii-chan (although it does get tiring at times) and any words regarding peach/peachy must stay no matter what (pretty sure this is to later volumes only though). Any phrases/words that don't affect cuteness flow you can have the reigns over its fate.
TJP's 成语

背面之树
吸个桃仁
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Big Bro could be Onii-chan and Dear Brother Onii-sama. Just some suggestions.

There are some places where you can put "you" instead of brother though.

Speaking of "heretic", we are not gonna change it to "defiant"?
Kira0802

Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

@Heretic: I'm split on this one. There is a better alternatives to Heretic (Defiant), there is a more "official" alternative (Rogue), but it's also one of the most iconic terms. Then again, this large-scale editing is the last chance to change it. We might, and I can't believe I'm writing this, have a poll for this one. Opinions?

@Miko: Sorry, Peachy, but even if Miko is cute, there are too many cases where it breaks or it's just unnatural. We can find working, easy English equivalents for all its uses, so we're going with the English. And yes, I will fight for this, to my bitter end.

@Oniichan/sama/Brother/Big Bro: I'm lost on this. Using the English words never feels quite right with me, so I tend to prefer the Japanese ones, also because it makes it easier to tell the difference between the -chan and the -sama version (and I deem the difference to be necessary in English, too). "Dear Brother" may work for Shizuka when she's pissed, but not so much as a normal address... I'll have to read a few scenes with her to figure out if it works out. More opinions and suggestions are welcome. (Laziness to think makes me prefer the Japanese words right now, but that's really just a lack of easy, good, widely applicable solutions in English)

@Uncle: Obviously Yinghua will keep the "Honored Uncle" for Godou, the Japanese word is unusual anyway, but Erica's "Esteemed Uncle" irritates my sense for good English again and again. So yeah, Erica's "Esteemed Uncle" will become a simple "Uncle", and similar cases too.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Noire
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Noire »

@Heretic: I quite like Heretic but Defiant also doesn't sound bad I think we should have a poll on it and see how it goes?

@Miko: As a reader I was quite confused when I first saw the word Miko when Liliana was called one. Though I'm quite fine with it since it grew onto me mmm I donno having English equivalents might distinguish it easier for new Campione readers especially those that don't bother reading the translation notes or references.

@Oniichan/sama: This one is quite tough to decide one I can see Shizuka calling Godou Dear brother or big bro/brother! but what about how Hikari?

@Esteemed Uncle: Yeah this one needs to change to simply Uncle imo.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

What was the reason we picked "heretic" again?
Kira0802

Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

You tell us, you're the one who picked it. We just never changed it. Frankly, I don't know what the Japanese "matsurowanu" exactly means, never bothered to actually looked it up and it's not exactly standard... well, we did arrive at "Defiant" as the best solution in context and all things considered (self-reference of Heretic Gods), I think, but then discussion died and we never got back to it. Until now.

At the moment I favor keeping "Heretic" since it's such an iconic term. I'm mainly wondering if I can/should just overrule Aorii's request to make Athena not refer to herself as Heretic but Defiant in V1 or not...

@Onii/Bro: Due to Hikari, I prefer keeping the Onii-versions right now. There's the Onee-sama thing for the other girls, too.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Matsurowanu, matsurowanai, nonconformance.

Now we can call them [Hipster Gods].
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Since there was no negative feedback to the plan (miko-killing aside, but I won't discuss that one), I'll go through with it. The translations will remain open for another 24 hours, and in 36 hours they'll be locked.

For the [Hipster Gods]!
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
subreaper01
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Campione, DxD, Date a live, Oda Nobuna, C3, and Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Post by subreaper01 »

what about volume 11, it tells us what happened between when godou became a campione and when he fought athena. out of all of them it has been the one i wanted to read the most and it is so close to being finished. so please at least finish it before locking them.
I think being a God Slayer would be the funnest job in the world. I can't think of anything more fun then life and death battles with the gods and dragons.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ihc0sp13s72e/pdfs
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Read again: The plan was to lock V1-7, nobody ever talked about 11 (how much free time do you think I have!?!). I might do some editing for 11, but that'll be limited to terminology and recurring descriptions. And nobody will lock V11~~. Not before it's finished, anyway, but who knows what the future might bring...
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
subreaper01
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Campione, DxD, Date a live, Oda Nobuna, C3, and Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Post by subreaper01 »

sorry my bad :lol:
I think being a God Slayer would be the funnest job in the world. I can't think of anything more fun then life and death battles with the gods and dragons.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ihc0sp13s72e/pdfs

Return to “Campione”