Converting translator's notes to use <ref> tags

General discussion related to Hidan no Aria

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Converting translator's notes to use <ref> tags

Post by denormative »

Any complaints if I go through and convert all the translator's notes to use <ref></ref> tags rather then the current method of having them all on their own wiki page and hard-linking to them? This way they'll work like most (all?) of the other LNs in the wiki. They'll still all appear all in one group at the end of the "full text" page of course.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Converting translator's notes to use <ref> tags

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I don't think any of us would mind, right other translators...?

Yep, don't think any of the current translators are against it.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I don't think any of us would mind, right other translators...?

Yep, don't think any of the current translators are against it.
I'm not against for short notes, but longer notes might be unwieldy when done that way.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I was specifically referring to this project, but thank you for your opinion. (No sarcasm intended, though it sounds sarcastic to me as well.)

I don't believe that HnA will have a problem with overly-longnotes.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I was specifically referring to this project, but thank you for your opinion. (No sarcasm intended, though it sounds sarcastic to me as well.)

I don't believe that HnA will have a problem with overly-longnotes.
I saw the new topic, and it was directly relevant to what one guy was doing to Golden Time for the sake of reading it more easily from his Android smart-phone. That's why I responded. At first I didn't notice it was about Hidan no Aria.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

denormative wrote:Any complaints if I go through and convert all the translator's notes to use <ref></ref> tags rather then the current method of having them all on their own wiki page and hard-linking to them? This way they'll work like most (all?) of the other LNs in the wiki. They'll still all appear all in one group at the end of the "full text" page of course.
That's only true for the newer translations - the old notes were all on new pages...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Darklor wrote:
denormative wrote:Any complaints if I go through and convert all the translator's notes to use <ref></ref> tags rather then the current method of having them all on their own wiki page and hard-linking to them? This way they'll work like most (all?) of the other LNs in the wiki. They'll still all appear all in one group at the end of the "full text" page of course.
That's only true for the newer translations - the old notes were all on new pages...
Amusing. I must have accidentally picked all the newer seasons to follow, since this is the only one out of the seven or eight series I'm reading where I've noticed this. (Zero no Tsukaima seems to have no references at all, which I must admit I find even weirder...)

In any event I converted volume 2 (since v1 lacks any references) and it seems to look nice enough, so I'll continue to go through and make the changes to the rest. The new ref links also should make it easier for people making epub/mobi files as well since you don't have to deal with fixing absolute links and the like. (Though I'm guessing all the pdf/epub/mobi files are pretty much up to date with what's in the wiki anyway given that these volumes have already been translated for quite a while.)
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

I finally got around to finishing this conversion (only took me, err, a few months... guess that's what happens when university distracts one...) so anyone translating can feel free to use <ref> tags in future novels if they aren't already. :)

Return to “Hidan no Aria”