Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

DSShinkirou
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

Post by DSShinkirou »

denormative wrote:In the previous section (before the diamonds) Kichijouji and team are complaining about Tatsuya being, well, "overpowered". Given that Tatsuya is not there when they're complaining, he is "obviously" unable to have knowledge this is happening. I'm guessing the parenthetical "(obviously)" was there in the original to give a bit of sarcastic emphasis to the fact that whilst Tatsuya may be god-like, he isn't omniscient. Well, at least not yet. >.>
Would it be possible to change the phrase from "without any knowledge" to "without his knowledge" or "without him knowing"? I feel like the possessive pronoun makes this understanding much more apparent.
EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Nothing that important, but for Drey: I believe it's Mobile Suit (ムーバルスーツ) (or maybe Moval? :P) rather than Movable Suit. Just thought I'd give you a heads up so you can make a decision before you continue using it.
Edit: Yasuyoda = Asuka. Just checked it in the JP raws.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:Nothing that important, but for Drey: I believe it's Mobile Suit (ムーバルスーツ) (or maybe Moval? :P) rather than Movable Suit. Just thought I'd give you a heads up so you can make a decision before you continue using it.
Edit: Yasuyoda = Asuka. Just checked it in the JP raws.
Yeah, I think Mobile Suit works a lot better. I'll update that myself.

Ditto on the Asuka name change.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
DSShinkirou
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DSShinkirou »

Volume 5 "Presidential Elections and the Queen" Chapter Two before the first diamond break. The passage I'm concerned about is in italics.
However, upon hearing the identity of whom she heard the rumor from, a “with positivity, anything can be dealt with” kind of feeling was born.

Actually, it was the feeling of knowing that he was going to interrogate Haruka. I think there remain some objections over whether it was really okay to call something like that “positivity”.

(Diamond Break)
The one who would protest the most about referring to Tatsuya’s operational plan as “positivity” would probably be Haruka.
Not sure if this was worth mentioning or not: on the one hand, it seems very much in the style of the author, however given the fact that it uses "I", and the passage right after would be redundant, I could also believe that an editor forgot to wrap tags around some commentary.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

I did a quick change of Raigan --> Ikazuchimaru. Confirmed via the raws. I don't believe there are any other issues with terminology that I could find.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:I did a quick change of Raigan --> Ikazuchimaru. Confirmed via the raws. I don't believe there are any other issues with terminology that I could find.
Much obliged. I thought it was rather queer that the other sword ended in "-maru" and this one didn't......

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
DSShinkirou
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DSShinkirou »

Volume 7, Chapter 11

Editor's paranoia. The chapter frequently references to "the helicopter" arriving. However, from what I understand in the chapter, it seems like more than one is being sent to evacuate the citizens. I've currently changed helicopter to helicopters in the first half of the chapter, because that's what the book makes it seem like. Is there anybody who knows how many actual helicopters were sent?

Additional edit: How many bipedal tanks were at the shelter? Same thing, the text seems to indicate either one or two, but I can't seem to figure out which is true.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

You had it correct before, but Tatsuya's code name is Ogura Ryuuya rather than Ogura Tatsuya. That's been changed, so just giving you a heads up. Also, thanks for the hard work. It was a long ass chapter.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:You had it correct before, but Tatsuya's code name is Ogura Ryuuya rather than Ogura Tatsuya. That's been changed, so just giving you a heads up. Also, thanks for the hard work. It was a long ass chapter.
Damn it, I remembered that was funny when someone gave their REAL name as their alias. Thanks for catching that.

Also, regarding the helicopter issue, the number wasn't very clear in the Chinese translations. I'm under the impression that Shizuku called in multiple helicopters to evacuate civilians, except I have no idea how many. I think 2 more showed up when Mayumi called in for evac, 1 being a pure combat helicopter while the other one was a military transport helicopter.

Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

I thought the names of Miyuki's mom and aunt were Miya and Maya? Is it really Mayo for the aunt instead of Maya?
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

Rava wrote:I thought the names of Miyuki's mom and aunt were Miya and Maya? Is it really Mayo for the aunt instead of Maya?
It should be Maya. 真夜 = Maya.
Go editors!
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Dragging thelazyguy's post from the General thread...
thelazyguy wrote:Well, if we go according to the terminology page, then it's as simple as:
Change all instances of "Outer-Systematic Magic" to "Non-Systematic Magic."

Though to be honest, I think:
系統外魔法 should be "Extra-Systematic Magic" instead of "Non-Systematic Magic."
無系統魔法 should be "Non-Systematic Magic" instead of "External Systematic Magic."

But that would be... a lot of editing.
Are people OK with the Guidelines page being modified to this for those two magic types?

Also, Tatsuya's fake name on the Guidelines page says "Strategic-Class Magician Special Lieutenant Ooguro Ryuuya" and not what EnigmaticAxiom just clarified as "Ogura Ryuuya." Assuming it's OK to modify that as well?
Todesengel
Astral Realm

Post by Todesengel »

The White Tiger was closest to "Gold" in the Five Phases. ~Taken from Volume 7 Chapter 12~

I know that it is written as gold "金" in Chinese or Japanese terminology, but in English representation it should be regarded as "Metal". Then you would see more logical connection of "Steel Qigong with Metal" rather than "Steel Qigong with Gold", as pure gold is very malleable in nature, although I do know gold is also a metal :lol: .
Also 'Five Phases' consist of Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, and Metal if you wondered in the first place. You can search with keyword 'Wu Xing (五行)' regarding this matter.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by florza »

金 (just by itself) is gold in Chinese 100%.

金 can be either metal or gold in Japanese. And as you know, Mahouka is a Japanese light novel.

Metal would make sense.
Todesengel
Astral Realm

Post by Todesengel »

florza wrote:金 (just by itself) is gold in Chinese 100%.

金 can be either metal or gold in Japanese. And as you know, Mahouka is a Japanese light novel.

Metal would make sense.
Well literally you are correct for the kanji translation, but the author is using a terminology which originated from Ancient China.
Even Chinese themselves would imply '金' as metal element when talking in Five Phases (Wu Xing) topic :wink:
Prolly a bit trivia, White Tiger (Armor), Byakko in japanese or Baekho in Korean from Four Godly Beasts, falls into Metal category in Five Phases, well not a surprise at all :!:

Also the for Mahesvara's note, you might also want to include "also known as Shiva, which often appears in FF game series" :lol:
Well, sorry for nagging at terminology which only takes a little part in the novel but for those who know this term, it is rather weird to use "Gold".

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”