English translated Novels in book form

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Yig
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

English translated Novels in book form

Post by Yig »

I watched the anime and fell in love with it and have started to read the English translated novels on pdf.

A friend of mine works at a printing company and I´ve been toying with the idea of kick-starting Hard copies of the novels.

Would anybody be interested in that?

Is there anybody who has any idea how to get the licenses required?

Would those who have translated the works be willing to do this?

Lots of ifs and whens but I have connections here on this rock in the middle of the Atlantic possibly something can happen.

Thanks for your time
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: English translated Novels in book form

Post by arczyx »

Yig wrote:Is there anybody who has any idea how to get the licenses required?
This is the hardest part I guess. You need to "buy" the license from the japanese publisher company, which is not cheap at all (though I'm pretty sure kickstarter can help). There are also some issues that they will take into consideration like "where do you want to sell it?" "is LN sales in your country good or not?" "will they agree using fan translation?" etc.

...And if by any chance you succeeded to acquire that license, please don't use it to send a C&D letter to B-T :wink:
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Yig wrote:I watched the anime and fell in love with it and have started to read the English translated novels on pdf.

A friend of mine works at a printing company and I´ve been toying with the idea of kick-starting Hard copies of the novels.

Lots of ifs and whens but I have connections here on this rock in the middle of the Atlantic possibly something can happen.

Thanks for your time
I don't think you can use the works on BT, since it is in conflict with the common translation agreement that BT. And I wouldn't recommend BT's work either, you are better getting professional translations.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Yig wrote:I watched the anime and fell in love with it and have started to read the English translated novels on pdf.

Thanks for your time

B-T translates and shares an agreement that the translations will not be used for commercial purposes. In other words, nothing to deal with money, as everything gets messy once money is involved.

You may however, print the translations for your own enjoyment, but we do not recommend you spreading it around.

And lastly, Kuroi makes sense about professional translators, as well as the fact that you probably need to buy the license from the original author or whoever has the license, as it is still his intellectual property (idea, as well as writing).
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Yig
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Yig »

Hmm... I thought something like that was in effect.

However if a deal where to be signed, is there anything stopping the original translator from going "pro" and re-translating the work?
Or am I just better off all together to get a fresh professional to do it?

Please be aware that these are just thoughts from my end, I do not want to get anybody excited I´m just mulling things over and trying collect some information and feedback.

oh and thanks for your time :D
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

There's really nothing I think. However, most translators and the translations here won't be able to match professionals.
ShadowZeroHeart

Yig wrote:Hmm... I thought something like that was in effect.

However if a deal where to be signed, is there anything stopping the original translator from going "pro" and re-translating the work?
Or am I just better off all together to get a fresh professional to do it?

Please be aware that these are just thoughts from my end, I do not want to get anybody excited I´m just mulling things over and trying collect some information and feedback.

oh and thanks for your time :D

If a deal is indeed signed, then I would say it has nothing to do with B-T. What the translator does is his own decision then and B-T would take no responsibility over any of it. As to how "pro" it would be depends on his skills. Whether you accept his work will be up to you. If it is "pro" enough for you, then you are happy enough already.

However, currently the translators here do not work as a translator full time. Hiring a professional would probably lead to him giving timely updates, being more reliable than a B-T translator. On the other hand, a B-T translator is likely to have background knowledge having read the series and might know how to handle the story and terms better.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Yig
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Yig »

Ok so I´ve been crunching some numbers and this idea is not entirely outside the box.

However this means I want to line up potential translator who are interested and willing to work hard.

I´m doing some of the background-work as we speak.

Since I´m not an US or UK based citizen I´ll have to use Indiegogo for funding.

I´ve been lining up persons here to help me out with various aspects of this in the future.

Problem is I want to have someone lined up before I start the crowdfunding, do you mind if I use this forum/thread to advertise for it?
ShadowZeroHeart

Yig wrote:
Problem is I want to have someone lined up before I start the crowdfunding, do you mind if I use this forum/thread to advertise for it?
B-T is NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE. So, YES, WE MIND.

In fact, please do not attempt such a suggestion on the B-T forums!

P.S. You can consider to strike a deal off with a translator, however, if you dare use B-T's translations without approval, or perform plagiarism, be prepared as B-T will NOT take it lightly.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Yig
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Yig »

I had no intention of using the B-T translations, had the intention off offering a translator who translated it an offer of RE-translating it.
I see no indication in my text that I was going to use these translations, in fact I stated earlier that I had surmised that they were here for free because of the aforementioned clause.

You might as well lock this thread right now if what I am conversing goes against whats going on here, which is fine and what I would expect reasonable moderators to do.
ShadowZeroHeart

Read the line I quoted in my previous post, and think logically. What does it really mean to advertise for a "paid commercial translation" on this forums?

And while I can lock the thread, I don't, because I do not think I can represent B-T as a whole, nor do I think that it is reasonable to lock every thread that seems wrong to ME (and me only). Besides, you have yet to go past that line.

P.S. there have been multiple cases where B-T has considered whether to actually allow such jobs etc. We had big discussions and arguments and did not ever come to a good conclusion. As I said, you are free to approach the translators, but leave B-T out of the deals. B-T dwells in a grey zone, and you are currently painting, or seeking to paint us black. We do not want to grab unwanted attention. A fine line MUST be drawn to safeguard B-T.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Yig
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Yig »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Read the line I quoted in my previous post, and think logically. What does it really mean to advertise for a "paid commercial translation" on this forums?

And while I can lock the thread, I don't, because I do not think I can represent B-T as a whole, nor do I think that it is reasonable to lock every thread that seems wrong to ME (and me only). Besides, you have yet to go past that line.

P.S. there have been multiple cases where B-T has considered whether to actually allow such jobs etc. We had big discussions and arguments and did not ever come to a good conclusion. As I said, you are free to approach the translators, but leave B-T out of the deals. B-T dwells in a grey zone, and you are currently painting, or seeking to paint us black. We do not want to grab unwanted attention. A fine line MUST be drawn to safeguard B-T.
Fair enough
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

Discussion is moot now that Yen Press has taken over both SAO and AW's LN serials. So...closed?

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”