New Android Reader App Icon/Name Suggestion Thread!

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Bornstellar
Astral Realm

Re: New Android Reader App Icon/Name Suggestion Thread!

Post by Bornstellar »

Any news if there are any possibilities of the app coming to iOS?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Quite unlkely, since :
- Putting the app on the Apple Store is more expensive than in Android.
- Chances of having the app rejected are high.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Bornstellar
Astral Realm

Post by Bornstellar »

Oh, I see. I have a old Android device and the app works well on it, but my main device is an iPhone 5, so it'd have been nice to keep it all in one. In any case, thanks for the info.
Nandaka
Digitalizer Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Nandaka »

lil rob wrote:i'm using the kyocera hydro and its the baka reader ex and the app is the new app that has an examation point in the front of the stared novel do you think you can help me
Exclamation Mark means the chapter got some updates, you can try to manually refresh the content to reset the last update/last check date.
Bornstellar wrote:Any news if there are any possibilities of the app coming to iOS?
Like Misogi said, you need to pay to become Apple Dev ($99/year), then you need a Mac to develop and iPhone for testing, and you need to know Objective-C + the framework (cocoa?). So it is unlikely to have it in iOS. If any apple dev want to adapt the application or even only the parser, please do so as long there is a proper credit to the BakaReaderEx team :D
Visit my blog for other applications.
freedomofkeima
Digitalizer Editor

Post by freedomofkeima »

Nandaka wrote: Like Misogi said, you need to pay to become Apple Dev ($99/year), then you need a Mac to develop and iPhone for testing, and you need to know Objective-C + the framework (cocoa?). So it is unlikely to have it in iOS. If any apple dev want to adapt the application or even only the parser, please do so as long there is a proper credit to the BakaReaderEx team :D
iOS dev, when money is a serious business, especially for the Mac and iPhone ones :lol:
I'm a programmer, I'm an otaku, thus I have no life :v
Visit our basecamp at http://nstranslation.blogspot.com/
Erakk
Digitalizer Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Erakk »

Well i am mainly a iOS dev (i work with it) so i think i have some experience, but first, check this:
https://developer.apple.com/appstore/re ... lines.html

8. Trademarks and trade dress
"Apps may not use protected third party material such as trademarks, copyrights, patents or violate 3rd party terms of use. Authorization to use such material must be provided upon request."

I don't know about baka-tsuki contents, i believe (and i see it happen) bt follows rules and will take down anything if asked to by the owners or due to legality.
But even though, that section is the one that can present a problem for the app.

I'd be willing to develop a free/ not-for-jailbreak-only if someone proves me that the app wont bring any repercussions to ANYONE related.
In theory, practice and theory are the same.
but, practically, they arent.
Unknownadd
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Unknownadd »

Highly doubt the app would work on the iOS for the above mentioned reasons. Though I suppose you can conduct some simple research in the issue. Are there any manga readers on the iOS store that use datastores like MangaFox, MangaReader, or KissManga?

If yes - then that might be a grey area where translations of foreign works are allowed through.
If not - then its because there is the risk of the work being licensed in the future that it is not allowed. Though some of the above sites (MangaFox for example) don't host licensed works on their site at all which may side step that issue.

In other news, I have this very annoying bug/issue with the current build. The way headers and lists work for chapters seems to be a bit problematic and lead to some funky chapter names. The best example is in Highschool DxD.

Example:
In vol4 you have chapter New Life with subsections Grigori 2 and Valhalla.On the page it is listed as:
  • New Life
    • Grigori 2
    • Valhalla
However, on the App the chapter list reads
  • New LifeGrigori2Valhalla
  • Grigori2
  • Valhalla
This leads me to believe that with embedded lists the item before the new list will list all the subsequent items before moving to the list. I guess that means
  • Section A
    • Section B
      • Section C
would probably show up as
  • Section ASection BSection C
  • Section B Section C
  • Section C
Any idea what would cause that and if there is a way to fix it?
Nandaka
Digitalizer Editor

Post by Nandaka »

Unknownadd wrote:Highly doubt the app would work on the iOS for the above mentioned reasons. Though I suppose you can conduct some simple research in the issue. Are there any manga readers on the iOS store that use datastores like MangaFox, MangaReader, or KissManga?

If yes - then that might be a grey area where translations of foreign works are allowed through.
If not - then its because there is the risk of the work being licensed in the future that it is not allowed. Though some of the above sites (MangaFox for example) don't host licensed works on their site at all which may side step that issue.

In other news, I have this very annoying bug/issue with the current build. The way headers and lists work for chapters seems to be a bit problematic and lead to some funky chapter names. The best example is in Highschool DxD.

Example:
In vol4 you have chapter New Life with subsections Grigori 2 and Valhalla.On the page it is listed as:
  • New Life
    • Grigori 2
    • Valhalla
However, on the App the chapter list reads
  • New LifeGrigori2Valhalla
  • Grigori2
  • Valhalla
This leads me to believe that with embedded lists the item before the new list will list all the subsequent items before moving to the list. I guess that means
  • Section A
    • Section B
      • Section C
would probably show up as
  • Section ASection BSection C
  • Section B Section C
  • Section C
Any idea what would cause that and if there is a way to fix it?
Might be hard, as the parser only selecting based on the html element (ul/li) into a single array (the structure is gone).
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Unknownadd wrote:Highly doubt the app would work on the iOS for the above mentioned reasons. Though I suppose you can conduct some simple research in the issue. Are there any manga readers on the iOS store that use datastores like MangaFox, MangaReader, or KissManga?

Yes, there are manga readers on the app store that explicitly reference mangafox (which I just arbitrarily searched for) and the screenshots contain pictures of it, including pages from Beelzebub in addition to the chapter listings. I cannot imagine anything on B-T being more blatant then that. :P

If I didn't have such a strong aversion to Objective-C I would probably have hacked something together already. -.-
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
AerosAtar
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AerosAtar »

Not sure this is the right place for this, but I can't see any other threads about the new app.

Is it possible to 'delete' a downloaded chapter without clearing the cache (which also deletes the 'read' status of the chapter)?

I.e. I finish reading a chapter/volume and want to free up the space on my device, but I want to retain the 'read' status of the chapter/volume. At the moment, the only option I can find is to clear the cache, which also removes the 'read' status from the chapter/volume, so I have to mark it as read again.

Other than that little issue, I am loving the new app. Much cleaner and more functional than the old one.
Nandaka
Digitalizer Editor

Post by Nandaka »

AerosAtar wrote:Is it possible to 'delete' a downloaded chapter without clearing the cache (which also deletes the 'read' status of the chapter)?

I.e. I finish reading a chapter/volume and want to free up the space on my device, but I want to retain the 'read' status of the chapter/volume. At the moment, the only option I can find is to clear the cache, which also removes the 'read' status from the chapter/volume, so I have to mark it as read again.
Nope, the current data structure doesn't support it, as the marker is on the same table with the chapter/page marker.
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

Just my 2 cent here, the chinese LN website got an app on ios for reading these things, to boot it is in the official appstore.
Patron God of NTRed
Nandaka
Digitalizer Editor

Post by Nandaka »

cramped wrote:Just my 2 cent here, the chinese LN website got an app on ios for reading these things, to boot it is in the official appstore.
So, anyone?
Erakk
Digitalizer Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Erakk »

Nandaka wrote:
cramped wrote:Just my 2 cent here, the chinese LN website got an app on ios for reading these things, to boot it is in the official appstore.
So, anyone?
If it's true, then... i'll take a look. I want to go back to brEX android when i am able to move my hand and add cloud backup. then maybe a test iOS app. but i don't have an iPhone/Mac is at work.
I wish i could say "i will" but no.
In theory, practice and theory are the same.
but, practically, they arent.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Topic locked, the current one is here.

Dunno if I should remove this from the announcements.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.

Return to “Developers and Code”