BTDS || Baka-Tsuki Distribution System

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Hello there, again.

Baka-Tsuki Distribution System, it says "Distribution System" but I won't be hosting any files. Only links.
There many reasons for that, but the biggest one is German Law.

Short Explanation:
Spoiler! :
We have two groups:
  • Digital Fairies
  • User
Our Fairies create Digital Files and post them in the dedicated threads for the novels.
The result is that many posts are made and multiple files are posted.
Therefore it becomes problem for (some)users to find the desired File in that mountain of talk and random stuff.

So I thought about making a central instance where those links can be managed.
Usage:
Spoiler! :
Well, there are some things that you should know before using and asking questions.

After you registered/logged in you will see three new buttons/dropdowns on the top right
  • Add
  • Edit
  • User Page
User Page:
Contains an overview over all your committed and their status.
Further you can edit and delete links. On Edit the link will be reset and will need an approval of an admin

Add:

As I'm a lazy person, I will only tell you the order of things that are needed to be done to make everything work.

Let's see... We'll start from the beginning.

You want to add a new novel. For that you'll got to the "+ Add" drop down menu and choose "Novel".
It'll ask you to input some information. The only fields that are required are "Name" and "Author".
The other fields are optional, but it'd be nice if you fill them all out. As I will use them later for ePUB generation.

If the Author is not available, just choose "Author" in the "+ Add" drop down menu. And for every other drop down field counts the same. If it's not there, create it.
Also, when creating a language use ISO 639-1 codes for the "ISO" field.

Ok, now that a Novel was created it will be highlighted in red color. That means, it contains no volumes.
When you click the the novel you'll get a new view. It will contain 2 buttons at first.
"Edit" is for editing of the Novel information. And "Add Volume" will add a volume to the novel.
There are no required fields. But as always, please fill them out.

When done you can access the volume.
At first there will be three buttons.
"Edit" will edit the Volume information.
"Add Image" will add an image to the volume. Use the check box "cover" to make the image the cover of the volume.

To add links, the volume must first have "Meta".
"Meta" contains information like: Translators, Editors, Language(REQUIRED), Publisher(like Baka-Tsuki, NanoDesu, etc. REQUIRED), URL(link to the full page of the volume), Chapter url(don't touch them at the moment).

After it's created you will be able to add links.
Click the button "Add Link" and choose the needed information. Every field is required.

After you added a link, you can see them in your "User page" or they will be displayed as "Pending" in the Volume.

The only thing is left is to wait for an admin to approve it. Done.
Feed:
Spoiler! :
If your RSS/Atom reader is too stupid to understand the XML syntax, here are the FeedBurner links for the feeds:

Normal Feed: BTDS
Links Only Feed: BTDS-L
Development:
Spoiler! :
If you have any ideas or find any errors, add them in GitHub. If you don't have any account there, post it here.

And if you want to make a better how to... feel free to do it. I'm bad at doing them.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BTDS || Baka-Tsuki Distribution System

Post by Lery »

Mhhh, how nice!

I'm going to add the french link to it asap!

How do you see the language system?
Should I add a new novel "Title (FR)" or add a new volume "Vol. 1 (FR)" or add a new meta with the FR option or only add links to the project and PDF/epub files to the existing volumes ??? :|

Mhhh, actually how should I use the "meta" for the volume ? There are language option in Meta and in Link, I'm currently trying to use both, but when there are two different meta tags (one with EN and one with FR, e.g.) and you want to add a link, you have to choose between the two possible Meta, but there aren't any difference in the Meta dropdown in the "add Link" section between both Meta. :|

Edit : I'm also getting a lot of "Server Error (500)" when I'm trying to add a new Meta. :wink:

PS : could you possibly add a field for "creator" and "date" to the links ??? Since I'm adding link to PDF I didn't created, it's not correct if it's written "PDF by Lery" and the date of the files are not today as-well. :wink:
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

If it#s about language, I would recommend creating a "Meta" for every language that you wish to add. And the links should be added to the meta with the specific language.

500... I already know what it is... damn it.

EDIT: Fixed... *note to myself, always check the control structures. Twice.*
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Lery

Post by Lery »

What about the date and creator for the files (link) ? Do you consider adding it or not ?

And did you see what I meant about the multiple "Meta" display's problem when you add a link to a volume with 2 meta (or more) ?
It's pretty annoying, since you don't know which "Meta" is for which language without looking at the source :o

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Lery wrote:What about the date and creator for the files (link) ? Do you consider adding it or not ?
The people who make the files should post the links. If you post their links, it's your responsibility to get the approval to post their links.
Lery wrote:And did you see what I meant about the multiple "Meta" display's problem when you add a link to a volume with 2 meta (or more) ?
It's pretty annoying, since you don't know which "Meta" is for which language without looking at the source
Done.

I'll be back. In 8 hour.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Simon wrote:
Lery wrote:What about the date and creator for the files (link) ? Do you consider adding it or not ?
The people who make the files should post the links. If you post their links, it's your responsibility to get the approval to post their links.
I've got the approval, no problem, but my problem is that it's then written "PDF by Lery" on the site, also that I didn't do anything excepted adding the link to the library...
I think it may still be a good idea to add a field "creator", so if you're reading a story and there are 3 different PDF files for each volume, it'll be easier to know which PDF was made by who. :)

PS : thanks for the meta problem ;)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

As. I. Said.

The links should be posted by the creator itself. I didn't write it with the intent that someone else would post links of someone else.
And if you got the approval, then it should be ok. I think that they added their own name at some point in the document.

If they later join BTDS, I can change the owner of those links. And, I don't want to mess around with the productive DB.
Not at the moment. If there will be many changes later, I will probably migrate the DB and make changes. But not at the moment.

btw. What's up with baka.wouaib ?
Lery

Post by Lery »

Ah, btw : there isn't any edit possibility for the link, is that normal ??? It may be a good think to be able to propose an edit. (With a little comment, since it looks like it's moderated.)

I discovered that when I was about to delete the links for Iris on Rainy Days, since for that one I didn't get approval first from the files' creator... which is you, by the way. ;)
Sorry I posted them, I was looking for the french ones, but didn't find them since we didn't make them already :roll:
And since I found the english ones, I though I should add them. ^^''
So you may change the owner to yourself, I guess... :oops:

About the baka.wouaib, well, it's a server I happened to own but didn't use, so I proposed it as storage place for our PDF, EPUB and other files and the guys in the french team were happy with it (centralizing the files and having an interface to manage them is useful) and so it came to exist. :)

Well, good night! :)

Edit : well, the "edit link" button may be useful too when somebody is silly enough to click too much time on the add link and add two times the same files ^^'' As I just did on the SAO Volume 2 for the french epub files. :oops:

PS : still getting Server Error (500) for example when clicking the link to : http://btds.m-chan.org/ucp/7/

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Damn, I don't understand what's happening, but it looks like every link I've just sent was sent 2 or 3 times :|
Since I didn't spammed the add button, I can't understand what happened.
(I've got a pretty fast and decent connection, so I don't think it's at cause. :shock: Maybe you may add a timer to restrain a user who just added a link to add another one within seconds ?)

PS : ah and a date field may be useful for the files too, so we know if it's outdated a lot or not... Since lots of files won't be posted in your library a soon as they are created and since the wiki update's rhythm is pretty fast on certain projects, those dates are valuable info I think... :wink:

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Lery, log out and then log in again. Then you should be able to access the UCP, I think.

Speed... that's the application itself. I just started using and writing with it, so it might take time until I understand every little aspect. And the ways to make it faster.

Date... well, I'll think about it.

PS: Are there any other means contacting you faster than this ? FB, XMPP, IRC ?
Lery

Post by Lery »

Well, I'm using TS and Moodle, a little bit IRC if needed.

The email is the fastest way to contact me, I guess. And I'm using Talk a lot with Gmail. :wink:

(Und ich rede auch Deutsch, wie Du, oder ?)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I guess that both of you can easily get along.

Anyway, I'll take a look at it once I've fully recovered.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Don't worry Misogi, I can assure you that the french projects won't be left behind here ;)

PS : Simon, I just took a look but wasn't able to see the UCP. :o

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Ok, small speed enhancement. There was something else, but I forgot what it was.

And Lary, "/ucp/" and not "/ucp/7". You get the error because you are trying to access an object that is not yours.
Lery

Post by Lery »

:lol:
Okay, I just understood the problem, actually I didn't understand that you just meant the list of my links when you were saying the ucp.

And I can't remember how I ended up finding that link to /ucp/7/, but now that I'm searching for it, I didn't find any such link anymore. :roll:

Sysadmin, sometimes.

Return to “Developers and Code”