No Game,No Life

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
92%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
2%
No (Please give a reason)
7%

Total votes : 446

Re: No Game,No Life

Postby Rohan123 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 am

Guest wrote:
Enigma wrote:Done, added a terminology page. ...

Hmm i'am only a anon^^ so can't change anything, but i looked at this and hmm isn't Tet = god? and not others ...
and the sixteen races, "Fourteenth: Therianthropes (Werebeasts)" shouldn't it be orc's? Because when i hear therianthropes i think about werewolf. And werewolf != orc.
I know that the translation of the first three are also different, but I can ignore it. But never orcs = werewolf!

Just so you know, you can make anonymous edits on that page as the page isn't protected. But please make proper edits with proper reasons/summaries so that your edit doesn't get reverted :P
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal

Postby Kami » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Hmm, looks like we're getting more interest in this light novel, are we...That's good.

That said, we're always welcome to new translators and editors. It'd be nice to have a few proofreaders for this as well, seeing as it has a lot of game terminology in this book, which can be confusing sometimes unless explained.

For example, in the prologue, Sora keeps saying "liza, liza", which I have taken to mean "reserve, reserve". I'm not really sure about this and a few other points. So it would really help if we had more staff.

We're not an official project yet, but we're finally pending. We also need a project administrator and supervisor too, though me being the newbie I am (started 1-2 months ago, still not accepted as an official editor in the forums), I don't really know the responsibilities of those two positions...Ah, whatever, I'm sure I'll find out someday...

That said, thank you everybody for your support. The manga has risen by over 200 places on Mangahere in the manga rankings in only a few weeks, and it even has an anime coming out (obviously, I don't take credit for those). But this is my biggest project here on Baka-Tsuki (not saying much, this project is pretty small) so I'm still excited about those. Maybe that's also due to me just being new to this? Either way...I hope this novel will become more popular and larger in the near future. And I also hope that it won't be licensed anytime soon...*In memoriam of the Spice and Wolf and the Haruhi light novels*.

Once again, thanks.

-- 神
My Baka-Tsuki wiki username is 神.

Profile: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... :%E7%A5%9E
Kami
Project Editor

Postby Enigma » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:28 am

Guest wrote:
Enigma wrote:Done, added a terminology page. ...

Hmm i'am only a anon^^ so can't change anything, but i looked at this and hmm isn't Tet = god? and not others ...
and the sixteen races, "Fourteenth: Therianthropes (Werebeasts)" shouldn't it be orc's? Because when i hear therianthropes i think about werewolf. And werewolf != orc.
I know that the translation of the first three are also different, but I can ignore it. But never orcs = werewolf!

You should typically bring that up on the terminology talk page instead of here. But, having a section for "God", with it obviously just being Tet, wouldn't really be efficient. At least for others we can possibly add more names later, but "the sole God" kind of possibly implies he's the only one at this point. So, "others". That, and I copied the JP Wikipedia page which has him as an other.

And no, it shouldn't be Orcs. Were, or Wer, means "man," and "beast" is self explanatory. It's just due to folklore and fantasy that "were" has commonly come to mean 'human that transforms into the proceeding animal'. As this is fantasy, the author dictates how his terms function though, so common fantasy definitions can be tossed in a garbage can for all it matters. The only real other way to translate their name is "Warbeasts," but the kanji doesn't support that at all. If you want to see what they look like, the Werebeasts are the new characters in volume 3's illustrations.

Kami wrote:For example, in the prologue, Sora keeps saying "liza, liza", which I have taken to mean "reserve, reserve". I'm not really sure about this and a few other points.

リザ, or Riza, does seem to mean "Reserve" in an IP context. Some Japanese sites appear to explain using WME to set up a certain form of connection, presumably so they can share their points of views (granted I didn't try to read these all that thoroughly and my Japanese is poor at best). So in context, Sora seems to be telling Shiro to hurry up and connect but Shiro can't because she won't use her hands.
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Postby pumkingboyz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:06 am

Reading that sentence I'm pretty sure 'reserve, reverse' is suppose to be 'res, res' or ' rez, rez, as in ressurection, in term of a game context which is what He is asking from his sis imo
pumkingboyz
Reader

Postby MyGawd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:06 am

wow the first time im seeing more than 10 no's p.s. i voted yes :3. well i'll read this since im waiting for other series update. the anime better be good.
Empire's Strongest
MyGawd
Devoted Haruhiist

Postby Kami » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:17 am

Kami wrote:For example, in the prologue, Sora keeps saying "liza, liza", which I have taken to mean "reserve, reserve". I'm not really sure about this and a few other points.
Enigma wrote:リザ, or Riza, does seem to mean "Reserve" in an IP context. Some Japanese sites appear to explain using WME to set up a certain form of connection, presumably so they can share their points of views (granted I didn't try to read these all that thoroughly and my Japanese is poor at best). So in context, Sora seems to be telling Shiro to hurry up and connect but Shiro can't because she won't use her hands.

Shiro can still use her feet, can't she?

Kami
Project Editor

Postby Kami » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

MyGawd wrote:wow the first time im seeing more than 10 no's p.s. i voted yes :3. well i'll read this since im waiting for other series update. the anime better be good.

I'm pretty sure that the only reason that there were that many No's for translating was because of the Synopsis posted on the first page. To tell the truth, I also think that I gave more than a few people bad impressions of the story.

For example, it didn't make sense in some parts (cross pass the country, actually means country borders), and he used the word "Ubar", which I think would also annoy a few. Google translate was probably used in the Synopsis in my opinion...

Another reason was that jonathanasdf also thought it didn't make any sense. Perhaps he misunderstood some parts of the story, and perhaps he didn't. Well, we'll find out soon enough. Thanks for reading.

-- 神

Kami
Project Editor

Postby Enigma » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Kami wrote:
Kami wrote:Shiro can still use her feet, can't she?

In the sentence, she's using her feet to control two mice and her hands to eat. For that line, Sora says: "...Agh.... I'm dying, dying... Oh, I died.... C'mon, hurry up and リザ~!" Shiro says: "...Slurp... Can't with...my feet on...the two mice..." Sora then tells her whatever and to do it anyway. Of course, that's my own interpretation.
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Postby seitsuki » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:15 pm

I swear, looking at some of the illustrations, this is almost To Love Ru level 'censorship'. Who needs doujins?
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Postby denormative » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:13 pm

seitsuki wrote:I swear, looking at some of the illustrations, this is almost To Love Ru level 'censorship'. Who needs doujins?

I love the design of their eyes myself. Didn't actually notice the rest of the fanservice actually until you pointed it out. :?
denormative
Fish Miner

Postby Kami » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

denormative wrote:
seitsuki wrote:I swear, looking at some of the illustrations, this is almost To Love Ru level 'censorship'. Who needs doujins?

I love the design of their eyes myself. Didn't actually notice the rest of the fanservice actually until you pointed it out. :?

Speaking of doujins...I heard that Kamiya Yuu actually made an H-doujin of No Game No Life. How do you make a doujin of your own work...?

-- 神

Kami
Project Editor

Postby denormative » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Kami wrote:Speaking of doujins...I heard that Kamiya Yuu actually made an H-doujin of No Game No Life. How do you make a doujin of your own work...?

Doujin's are just 'self published works'. So rather then publishing them via his publisher (who would probably reject such a work out of hand) he publishes it himself.

At least one author seems to only reveal half the information about his novel's universe's through his biannual doujin which makes it an absolute pain to work out the logical underpinning of things sometimes if you only read/watch the 'official' published works. :?
denormative
Fish Miner

Postby Nurin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Kami wrote:Speaking of doujins...I heard that Kamiya Yuu actually made an H-doujin of No Game No Life. How do you make a doujin of your own work...?

-- 神

Why do people can't do doujins from their own work? like Denormative said, the work would be rejected by the publishers and we wouldn't be able to see it :lol:

Hail own work doujins!
Call me Nurin!

Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Postby larethian » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Serialized authors do sell their Doujin at comiket and through Animate webstore.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Postby seitsuki » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 am

Wait what, there are doujins? Where?? >_>
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned