Chrome Shelled Regios - PDF, EPUB, and MOBI Files

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sharpestlives
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Chrome Shelled Regios - PDF, EPUB, and MOBI Files

Post by Sharpestlives »

kuroneko wrote:Hello!

Right now Im working on adapting CSR into epub for personal use only since I love reading epub books. Can you add them up on your list when done if it's oky with BT? So far i have done 5 volumes.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I'd think BT would be fine with it, it's not as if you're selling them off or saying you've translated them. Anyway, sure I'll add them to the list, could you message me the links please?
kuroneko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by kuroneko »

The files are stored in my drive account: [REMOVED DEAD LINK]

Though I haven't tested it yet on any tablets I think it should work.

Edit: Link

EDIT 2: View update in this link http://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4804&p=232526#p232526
Last edited by kuroneko on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my site for the highest-quality ePubs. Each are meticulously crafted by hand, not automated, not converted.

Polyaness.com
kuroneko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by kuroneko »

I think I'll end up double posting here (previous entry was being reviewed by admins).. just want to say that I have read through volume 1 to 9 using Aldiko so there won't be any problem.
Visit my site for the highest-quality ePubs. Each are meticulously crafted by hand, not automated, not converted.

Polyaness.com
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

kuroneko wrote:The files are stored in my drive account: http://goo.gl/bIKvJ

Though I haven't tested it yet on any tablets I think it should work.
Well, I took a look at them.

First of all, I like the way the ePUBs are done.

But there are some problems.
  • There is actually no need for a TOC page as the .ncx file is the TOC of the ePUB
  • Your .opf file is pointing at things that do not exist, like:

Code: Select all

<item href="Fonts/_LDS_Plain_Germanica.ttf" id="_LDS_Plain_Germanica.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf"/>
    <item href="Fonts/_LDS_Alpine.ttf" id="_LDS_Alpine.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf"/>
    <item href="Fonts/CalistoMT-Regular.ttf" id="CalistoMT-Regular.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf"/>
  • About fonts, it's not really go to force a font-face onto a text. Everyone has their own favorite font for reading and some have problems with specific fonts. And not every reader[software] can change forced layout. So it's up to you.
  • Your .opf file is pointing at things that are there but are not used in the ePUB, like in Vol 8:

<item href="Images/CSR_vol08_000a.jpg" id="CSR_vol08_000a.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item href="Images/CSR_vol08_000b.jpg" id="CSR_vol08_000b.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item href="Misc/README" id="README" media-type="text/plain"/>
    If not used, it's garbage and only makes the ePUB bigger.
  • I think you should use

preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"
    on the cover image.
  • One more thing, why are you using

class="bg"
    on the div for the cover when you didn't specify any CSS for it ?
  • On a side note, Sigil 0.7 is out. But it's a bit of a pain in the ass if you use the visual editor to import text... so go for code.
I think that's all. Don't feel discouraged because of me and good luck.

Ah... Sharpestlives, could you add this link to your first post ?

[size=120][b]Generate ePUB here: [url=http://ln.m-chan.org]BTE-GEN[/url][/b][/size]  :D 

EDIT: I'm a moron... stupid brain... the .ncx is declared in the .opf
Last edited by Simon on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
kuroneko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by kuroneko »

Well since I failed to mention on before, I made an epub of Koukaku no Regios for myself, for personal use only. But since BT makes great translations I decided to maybe contribute as well.
Simon wrote: Well, I took a look at them.

First of all, I like the way the ePUBs are done.

But there are some problems.
  • There is actually no need for a TOC page as the .ncx file is the TOC of the ePUB
    The TOC page is deliberate. When I read ebook, I tend to browse each page instead of summoning the TOC page generated by the reader. This is the reason why I included the biography, title and toc page. I want the epub to be as close to the professional published books as possible. I don't think it hurts to add one even if you have the ncx which all readers such as Aldiko intercepts to display the TOC.
  • Your META-INF/container.xml is incomplete, you forgot to add the ref to the .ncx file. That means that the document structure is invalid and the file is not readable.
    Sigil handles META-INF/container.xml and to be honest I don't really know anything about this file all I know is thaty it fetches the opf files. What should I do to complete files one?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <container version="1.0" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:container">
        <rootfiles>
            <rootfile full-path="OEBPS/content.opf" media-type="application/oebps-package+xml"/>
    // What to add here? toc?
       </rootfiles>
    </container>
  • Your .opf file is pointing at things that do not exist, like:

<item href="Fonts/_LDS_Plain_Germanica.ttf" id="_LDS_Plain_Germanica.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf"/>
    <item href="Fonts/_LDS_Alpine.ttf" id="_LDS_Alpine.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf"/>
    <item href="Fonts/CalistoMT-Regular.ttf" id="CalistoMT-Regular.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf"/>
    This file ".opf" basically links all files. I will try remove those item list (not files) that points to non-existing files. Will try to update but I think this is not that important compared to broken html tags except for validation purposes.
  • About fonts, it's not really go to force a font-face onto a text. Everyone has their own favorite font for reading and some have problems with specific fonts. And not every reader[software] can change forced layout. So it's up to you.
    The font (Calisto) is not used. The font family is not really linked to any css classes nor inline classes.

I don't know if every reader supports this code like (font-family:'CalistoMT',Georgia,Arial,etc if calisto doesn't exist will try to use the next font, etc) but I agree with you as much as possible I avoid using custom fonts.
  • Your .opf file is pointing at things that are there but are not used in the ePUB, like in Vol 8:

<item href="Images/CSR_vol08_000a.jpg" id="CSR_vol08_000a.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item href="Images/CSR_vol08_000b.jpg" id="CSR_vol08_000b.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item href="Misc/README" id="README" media-type="text/plain"/>
    If not used, it's garbage and only makes the ePUB bigger.
    I included those files in the content.opf because I want each volume to be as complete as possible. Even if those are not used, some users can extract them (7zip) and view them.

I did not made any changes to the quality/size of the images to make the size smaller. As I said before, I originally made these epub adaptations for myself and if you ask me I don't care about files size.
  • I think you should use

preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"
    on the cover image.
    My latest epub framework uses "xMidYMid meet" instead of"none" (none will stretch the image based on the reader's screen resolution which makes the image look crap).

Thanks for pointing this one.
  • One more thing, why are you using

class="bg"
    on the div for the cover when you didn't specify any CSS for it ?
    If you have that class you can always write code for it, modify in the future. All my files uses the same framework and If I wanted to change a certain divider in the future I can always add a code for it.
  • On a side note, Sigil 0.7 is out. But it's a bit of a pain in the ass if you use the visual editor to import text... so go for code.
Yes, I recently downloaded it.
Well I code the html files a little bit first before importing to the visual editor. In my line of work I use notepad++ to code and I berate those who uses dreamweaver or such visual editors but since this is a document not a website I use Sigil to do the dirty job even if I don't agree that it uses <p><br /></p> instead of &nbsp; or how it uses 2 spaces to increase indent to the codes.

If you go to my website and view all my project you will see that I really care on how the source code outputs.
I think that's all. Don't feel discouraged because of me and good luck.
Not at all, in fact I thank you for such thorough perspective.

Polyaness.com
kuroneko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by kuroneko »

Download Koukaku no Regios Volume 1-16 ePub
Please note that:
  • Volume 13 and 14 doesn't have inline images.
  • Volume 10, 11, 15 and 16 are incomplete but worth reading if you're a fan of the series.
No need for Google account to acquire those files.

Edit: Links now fixed. I recently updated the urlshort plugin in the spur moment and forgot that I have moved the link.

Polyaness.com
Sharpestlives
Kyonist

Post by Sharpestlives »

OK Kuroneko, I have provided the links in the post now. Would you like to remain gender-unspecific?
kuroneko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by kuroneko »

Thanks for the update. -> M

Polyaness.com
Kero
Astral Realm

Post by Kero »

volume 11 please!
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

PDFs for v1-v9, v12-v14 in appropriately named folder here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/6a6tgxa ... Epimetheus

v15 wasn't done since it isn't complete yet, even if it has a 'Full Text' link.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
R~S
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Index!

Post by R~S »

Any chance to get a mobi of the recently completed v15? :D
Baka-Tsuki discord server
haseo0408
Astral Realm

Post by haseo0408 »

denormative wrote:PDFs for v1-v9, v12-v14 in appropriately named folder here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/6a6tgxa ... Epimetheus

v15 wasn't done since it isn't complete yet, even if it has a 'Full Text' link.
Volumes 10 and 15 have been completed, are you going to do a pdf for them Denormative-san? Just asking out of curiosity, your pdf files are the best.
AL92
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AL92 »

I made a Pdf and an ePub for volume 16 :P

Chrome Shelled Regios - Volume 16 - Spring Burst (PDF) :

Chrome Shelled Regios - Volume 16 - Spring Burst.pdf -

Chrome Shelled Regios - Volume 16 - Spring Burst (ePub) :

Chrome Shelled Regios - Volume 16 - Spri - Shousuke Amagi.epub -
sayko
Astral Realm

Post by sayko »

Hi all,

thx for the great work.

I just wanted to ask why only Vol11 has missing chapters? Is it because no one is interested in it any more? or chapters of the original text are missing?

thx again.
lygophile
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by lygophile »

Chapter 10 and 11 are short story volumes with stories outside the main plot. The last main translator skipped those volumes to do more of the main storyline and left those volumes for the other translators. Volume 10 was completed just a few weeks ago. The rest of Volume 11 is still being translated, I believe.

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”