Sword Art Online & Accel World Novels Licensed

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

stellarroze
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Sword Art Online & Accel World Novels Licensed

Post by stellarroze »

Yen Press have licensed the Sword Art Online & Accel World light novels.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... gica-manga
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Re: Sword Art Online & Accel World Novels Licensed

Post by Nurin »

Sad... :(
Call me Nurin!

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Sword Art Online & Accel World are licensed.

Post by Teh_ping »

'NOTICE: The Sword Art Online and Accel World projects is currently licensed by Yen Press. Project will be deemed as 'Abandoned' within a month.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

Does this mean Tap won't be translating v13? How long am I going to have to wait for Yen Press to release it? I don't want this going the way of Shakugan and only getting a volume or 2 translated then dropped but still licensed.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

A quick amendment to the previous announcement. The series mentioned (Sword Art Online and Accel World) will be taken down by the release of the first volumes for the respective series latest.
Gohankuten wrote:Does this mean Tap won't be translating v13? How long am I going to have to wait for Yen Press to release it? I don't want this going the way of Shakugan and only getting a volume or 2 translated then dropped but still licensed.
Yen Press is pretty solid when it comes to LN releases, and they're finishing up the Bungaku Shoujo main series Jan 2014.

Regarding the issue of Progressive:
Not unless that is licenced (stated in the C & D) and/or has a release date by a western and English publisher.
MineRiko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Hidan no Aria

The Last Month

Post by MineRiko »

As seen in the previous post about the licensing of both novels, translator have been asked to clear out the completed TL works by September.

Which basically means, you have one month to finish the currently completed volumes.

Well, just a piece of advice if you don't want to rush (don't take my word for it, I'm not sure if it's banned), get the PDFs. This is practically your last chance. Anything after this...

You'll have to buy the official one.

Well, good luck! I haven't really been a fan of either LN, but I guess it's good to read a variety.
Wiki Account: Nii-sama
Kanamechan Translations, Chinjufu Scanlations, Chinjufu Channel
Moe_Ronn
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Moe_Ronn »

I thought it would be a good idea to clarify in this main thread, what will happen to the side materials? Will they continue to be hosted on Baka-Tsuki?

Specifically: the doujinshi and all other non-volume side stories for Sword Art Online, and the BD specials for Accel World.

I might as well mention my thanks for all the translators and editors that have worked on these two projects here. Much thanks for all the work put into the projects for Sword Art Online and Accel World.
Last edited by Moe_Ronn on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! ......wait what was I doing again?
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Agreed.

I guess everything will be taken down in a month's time. Just look at it as the worst case scenario. It may or may not be taken down, depending on whether Yen Press managed to get the license for those as well. From what I have read thus far though, it seems unlikely that they will be getting the licensing rights to those as well, but you will never know the exact details till it is out.

Expect to have even lesser time than that. Just grab all the PDF/Mobi/Epub versions you can find and store them safely somewhere, because it will be likely that it will take at least 3 years for the official translations to get that far. Also grab all those side stories and what not while you're at it.

Alternatively, learn Chinese and read from Chinese websites, because they don't really care much for these licensing issues.

Or, you could learn Japanese and just read it as how it was supposed to be read.

Both methods will probably take you lots of time to implement though. There is no easy way for this, everything will take lots of time :lol:

Either way, this is a bittersweet piece of news for me. Glad that the series is getting the recognition that it deserves, sad that we will probably be waiting for quite a while before we will be able to enjoy the latest arc of the story.

Once again, I would like to thank all those that have put in the massive amounts of time and effort to translate these awesome LNs, especially Teh_ping, Taps and all the various other translators.
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
shinikage
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shinikage »

i guess i am going to have to look for another source for the translated novels no way in hell i am going to wait a a year or more until they catch up with vol5, hoping they don't drop it just because the first 2-3 vol didn't sell as well as they wanted, yen press is known for doing that, among other things
on another note, it means the translation will be removed on all the languages or only the English ones? as far as i know yen press doesn't own the publishing rights worldwide outside japan
Cindynka
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cindynka »

shinikage wrote:i guess i am going to have to look for another source for the translated novels no way in hell i am going to wait a a year or more until they catch up with vol5, hoping they don't drop it just because the first 2-3 vol didn't sell as well as they wanted, yen press is known for doing that, among other things
on another note, it means the translation will be removed on all the languages or only the English ones? as far as i know yen press doesn't own the publishing rights worldwide outside japan
This is what I want to know too, whether will be the other languages translations deleted too.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Cindynka wrote:This is what I want to know too, whether will be the other languages translations deleted too.
The alternative language projects for Haruhi didn't get axed, so I guess it's fine to keep them.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Yes, AT languages Won't be affected(you will only loss you Free material) as long as they aren't licensed on their respective country.(You can Always try saving the PDFs) :P
Call me Nurin!

Cindynka
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cindynka »

Okay, thanks, that's what I wanted to hear :D
shinikage
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shinikage »

is sad to have to wait almost 2 years to read the official version of vol 5 (that if they faithfully stick to a 3 months release schedule) which to be honest is not one of yen press fortes so i guess we will not be seeing vol 14 until maybe early 2019 in the best case scenario...yay, i shrudder to think what would happen if they decide to license index..
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

Well, I guess that it is time to say goodbye to SAO for like 3 years(assuming that Yen Press releases 4 volumes of SAO every year). I should probably grab all the PDFs/EPUBs/MOBIs I can of SAO, and while I'm at that, I should grab AW too since I was planning to read it sooner or later anyway. Or I can concentrate on learning Japanese and read the JP volumes(but that will take years too...) :|

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”