Mahouka - Visitor Arc : Volumes 9, 10 & 11

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka - Visitor Arc : Volumes 9, 10 & 11

Post by Niflheim »

danv wrote:I just finished volume 11 chapter 13 and I am out of chapters again... makes me sad but it was awesome to get to read all of volume 10 in quick succession.

Spoiler of ch 13 inside tags...
Spoiler! :
I feel like Lina is just too weak to be the "most powerful" soldier of the US. She seems to make mistakes all the time in fights against just about everybody. But I otherwise like her character so hopefully she won't disappear after her current loss to Tatsuya
Spoiler! :
It is a weakness in the Power-is-supreme approach the USNA have. They ignore experience to a large extent, if not entierly, and hand out ranks based purely based on power. Even if they got similar service records time wise, how they spent that time is worlds apart. Lina has "lived the good life", as a commander for half of it, in the military compared to Tatsuya. She lack active combat experience against veteran soldiers she couldn't just overwhelm with power or numbers, which seems to be her MO, and that would be why she lost to Tatsuya that is out of a need extreamly tactical. It becomes even more glaring when you consider Tatsuya is under his set of limiters as well during his encounters with Lina.

Well, considering that she is a strategic class magician of another country once the mission is over she will return to the USNA. Her entier stay in Japan has to this point been dodgy at best diplomatically speaking. Can't see how she can stay or keep in touch with the regular characters after vol 11 ends.
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

Ulrick wrote:
danv wrote:I just finished volume 11 chapter 13 and I am out of chapters again... makes me sad but it was awesome to get to read all of volume 10 in quick succession.

Spoiler! :
I feel like Lina is just too weak to be the "most powerful" soldier of the US. She seems to make mistakes all the time in fights against just about everybody. But I otherwise like her character so hopefully she won't disappear after her current loss to Tatsuya
Spoiler! :
Lina is the most powerful magician in the USNA, that's the meaning of Sirius. But she is still very young and is lacking experience, hence why she lost.
Spoiler! :
Also Lina has feeling for Tatsuya so was distracted trying not to harm him too badly which Tatsuya took advantage of. Lina had the compounding issues of lack of experience for real fights, feelings for the target, and lack of information on the target which led to her severe disadvantage and loss. Had they been on a more even field knowledge and experience wise then it would have been a much closer fight.
Niflheim wrote:
Spoiler! :
It is a weakness in the Power-is-supreme approach the USNA have. They ignore experience to a large extent, if not entierly, and hand out ranks based purely based on power. Even if they got similar service records time wise, how they spent that time is worlds apart. Lina has "lived the good life", as a commander for half of it, in the military compared to Tatsuya. She lack active combat experience against veteran soldiers she couldn't just overwhelm with power or numbers, which seems to be her MO, and that would be why she lost to Tatsuya that is out of a need extreamly tactical. It becomes even more glaring when you consider Tatsuya is under his set of limiters as well during his encounters with Lina.

Well, considering that she is a strategic class magician of another country once the mission is over she will return to the USNA. Her entier stay in Japan has to this point been dodgy at best diplomatically speaking. Can't see how she can stay or keep in touch with the regular characters after vol 11 ends.
Spoiler! :
I don't know how but I have a feeling Lina will get picked up over to the Japanese side due to what Tatsuya said at the end of 11.13. Though I am wondering how the USNA will take the news bout her being defeated in a head-on confrontation and her specialized CAD being destroyed in the process.
kaie08
Mikuru's Master

Post by kaie08 »

Gohankuten wrote:
Spoiler! :
Also Lina has feeling for Tatsuya so was distracted trying not to harm him too badly which Tatsuya took advantage of. Lina had the compounding issues of lack of experience for real fights, feelings for the target, and lack of information on the target which led to her severe disadvantage and loss. Had they been on a more even field knowledge and experience wise then it would have been a much closer fight.
Spoiler! :
While Lina was severely disadvantaged by lack of experience and such, Tatsuya pretty much allowed the fight entering the "trap" only because of such flaws in Lina's preparation that would ultimately let him win
Spoiler! :
also i believe in Lina's presence in Japan as a ploy by Elder Kudou to manovrate Tatsuya altough i've no idea how :roll: so maybe she'll become a regular? :D tough she's not in any of the volume 12 images
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

kaie08 wrote:
Spoiler! :
also i believe in Lina's presence in Japan as a ploy by Elder Kudou to manovrate Tatsuya altough i've no idea how :roll: so maybe she'll become a regular? :D tough she's not in any of the volume 12 images
Spoiler! :
I know you said you didnt know how but how on earth would you expect him to control 1 of the thirteen apostle, another countries disclosed startegic class magician? He may have some degree of "say" in magic Japan but to even consider he could influence USNA to send thier trump card on an undercover mission...

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Gohankuten wrote:
Spoiler! :
I don't know how but I have a feeling Lina will get picked up over to the Japanese side due to what Tatsuya said at the end of 11.13. Though I am wondering how the USNA will take the news bout her being defeated in a head-on confrontation and her specialized CAD being destroyed in the process.
Spoiler! :
I only saw Tatsuya take pity on her for her lack of battlefield experience. Granted finding your target in one piece after you clearly shot of one of it's arms is most likely shocking. Standard military procedure I assume. She disobeyed protocol, striped of rank as high commander, court martial. However since she is a disclosed strategic class magcian nothing will change publicly. Since Tatsuya was a suspect for being the unknown magician that sunk the great asian alliance fleet, him defeating her could serve as confirmation of that. It depends on how absolute she has to be. The hearing in vol 10 ch 9 indicates they don't consider her lack of actual combat experience or anything to that effect as an excuse though.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

danv
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by danv »

Niflheim wrote:

Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :

fair enough. I can see that.
Spoiler! :
But yeah, for a countries most powerful magician to not have received proper training still bothers me. In this arc she has seemed less mentally prepared as a soldier than miyuki(who may have zero military experience though being part of the yotsuba might counter that anyway) or even some of the other 10 masters clan characters who aren't even officially part of the military yet( katsuto or masaki).

In most of her fights so far she has reacted late because of mistakes several times. It just doesn't make sense to me for a character who should have all the resources of an entire country focused on her.

But as Tatsuya said in the last chapter, she is not cut out for being a soldier. So I guess that is the real point, that although she has high power, her personality does not a soldier type and is not well suited to killing targets she knows. So she hesitates a lot.
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

danv wrote:fair enough. I can see that.
Spoiler! :
But yeah, for a countries most powerful magician to not have received proper training still bothers me. In this arc she has seemed less mentally prepared as a soldier than miyuki(who may have zero military experience though being part of the yotsuba might counter that anyway) or even some of the other 10 masters clan characters who aren't even officially part of the military yet( katsuto or masaki).

In most of her fights so far she has reacted late because of mistakes several times. It just doesn't make sense to me for a character who should have all the resources of an entire country focused on her.

But as Tatsuya said in the last chapter, she is not cut out for being a soldier. So I guess that is the real point, that although she has high power, her personality does not a soldier type and is not well suited to killing targets she knows. So she hesitates a lot.
Spoiler! :
It is not that I agree with thier method, it irks my logical nerve as well. She has proper training, about 3 years of military service with half of it as Stars High Commander, what she lacks is actual live combat experience with unknowns. Her mental state is pretty solid, until that point Tatsuya does something that is logically impossible or something she cant explain to herself. What made her falter for just a split second in that last battle was that his right arm was unharmed, something that to her and more or less everyone else is an impossible thing. And she isnt alone with that reaction when fighting Tatsuya, Masaki faltered as well in the face of Regrowth.

If you look at her fight with Erika, she doesnt break mentally at all.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Wow everything in the last couple of post have been spoiler tagged lol :lol:

Finally got to reading the whole of volume 10 and the first chapter of volume 11, which I must say is a pretty cliff hanger ending.

It made me went ahead to check out what happened in the next chapter from the Chinese translations, and I pretty much got most of what happened.

Really really interesting! It just made me want to continue reading it in Chinese, though 1 chapter is enough to make me a little less enthusiastic since I am pretty bad with Chinese.

Anyways, a huge thank you to Drey for his hard work! Can't wait for his translation of chapter 14 so that I can confirm some details that I didn't bother with when looking at them myself :D
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
kaie08
Mikuru's Master

Post by kaie08 »

Niflheim wrote:
Spoiler! :
I know you said you didnt know how but how on earth would you expect him to control 1 of the thirteen apostle, another countries disclosed startegic class magician? He may have some degree of "say" in magic Japan but to even consider he could influence USNA to send thier trump card on an undercover mission...
Well as they hinted in many places there's not so many magician of Elder Kudou's power and authority
Spoiler! :
think at "Amelia in Wonderland" stub chapt were Eimi's grandma can pretty much order around people of different countries
and the Elder's younger brother is still Lina's grandfather so there's that as connections go, and in my idea he didn't really order her deployment just facilitated it leaking the info about Tatsuya/Miyuki as potential suspects remember the "there's a mole" in Tats - Maya conversation?
Vexacion
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Vexacion »

Shouldn't all that be in spoiler tags?

:(
Ulrick
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Ulrick »

For the Kuroba, in chapter 17, it is Kurobane Ayako and not Kuroba? Which one is correct?
In the volume 12's image, in Hiragana, it is Kuroba... A miss or a code or something?
seitsuki

Post by seitsuki »

I fucked up, everything should be Kuroba. Going to sleep now, someone else change please.
Ulrick
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Ulrick »

Maybe the kanji has two signification: Ba and Bane
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

I'm fairly certain the LeoxErika ship was sunk in volume 10
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Mahesvara wrote:I'm fairly certain the LeoxErika ship was sunk in volume 10
I agree. Erika totally has the hots for Leo, however she tries to justify otherwise.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”