DAL Wiki Page Clean-Up

General discussions related to Date A Live series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: DAL Wiki Page Clean-Up

Post by Cthaeh »

Down with the color illustrations!!

For an actual reason behind that opinion: They should match the location of the original, aka the front of the book. Putting them into the middle is just a fan modification, which diverges from the goal (at least as I see it) of making more professional style translations.
Insanitizer
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Insanitizer »

Well, they only put them in the front due to printing restrictions. (color pages use a different process)

None of which apply or make sense here. I don't think not putting them could be considered "more professional". If there was an official e-book version, they very well could put them in with the text.

I'm ok either way, but I'm curious what Riki's reason is.
royaloyalz
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by royaloyalz »

Insanitizer wrote:Well, they only put them in the front due to printing restrictions. (color pages use a different process)

None of which apply or make sense here. I don't think not putting them could be considered "more professional". If there was an official e-book version, they very well could put them in with the text.

Exactly my point. Another point of view is that putting coloured illustrations in the places that fits them allows people to easily identify what the coloured illustration is currently depicting. In other words, merely looking at the coloured illustrations is visually pleasing, but I for one find it disconcerting when I don't know what the coloured illustration is actually showing. Being able to fit the coloured illustration with the context of whatever is happening is generally more important to me.

Otherwise, when I just read through the text, I will probably(most assuredly) forget about the coloured illustration that is actually depicting the scene that I just read even if I had looked at the coloured illustrations beforehand.

However, to each their own I guess. One man's food may be another man's poison. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however the ones that should matter are those that have actually put in effort to contribute to the project. Still, it would be interesting to know why people are so against having coloured illustrations in the text pages (Other than the making it look more "professional" opinion, I mean come on, it is a fan translation isn't it? :lol:), so if you guys could enlighten us that would be a good thing.

In any case, I will be removing the coloured illustrations shortly, so to all those who are reading this thread, do not add them back in until further notice.

Edit: Done. Removed all coloured illustrations from the text pages for now.
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
RikiNutcase
Project Translator

Post by RikiNutcase »

Insanitizer wrote:Well, they only put them in the front due to printing restrictions. (color pages use a different process)

I Translate not mess with the authors book. I go according to format and the color page in the middle of the chapters is not following the format.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

I've got e-book versions of several light novels. The colour illustrations are all at the beginning of the book...
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Good, you all know that is possible to put the colored page in the middle of the book, right? Why do you think that they don't do so? (Because it's a pain)

And I will take the word here, sorry if I am being an ass here, and I not even the supervisor of the series, but I am leading the clean up, and I think that I have Riki's support on this (At least his side), and I will proclaim here:

THE COLORED ILLUSTRATIONS ARE TO BE REMOVED FROM THE CHAPTERS.

End dot in the subject, please.
Call me Nurin!

vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Post by vallor »

So, what have I t do? Do you want I create the template or I change something else in the toggles?
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Hmm... for me it's fine the way it is now... If no one have objections you can create the template.
Call me Nurin!

vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by vallor »

Okay.

----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
Yascob99
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Campione!

Post by Yascob99 »

Couldn't we just have a toggle to show or hide the the colored pages that way people who want them can see them and those who don't need to it would be code usable in any project and would resolve most of the problems. I'm pretty sure its posible to do it it without any indication that the picture is there when toggled off.
- Yascob99 =)
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Yascob99 wrote:Couldn't we just have a toggle to show or hide the the colored pages that way people who want them can see them and those who don't need to it would be code usable in any project and would resolve most of the problems. I'm pretty sure its posible to do it it without any indication that the picture is there when toggled off.
too much pain, I think you should not worry about that.
Call me Nurin!

vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by vallor »

The toggle has been moved to the main page of DAL project. I'll try to fix the last errors tomorrow.

@Yascob
Soon, there won't be nothing but toggles. :lol:

----------
Yascob99
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Campione!

Post by Yascob99 »

vallor wrote:Soon, there won't be nothing but toggles. :lol:
yeah I guess but to simplify it they could be put in collapsable wiki tables which just have a hide or show for each so its relitively easy to do and they are closed by default. the code for them goes like this:

Code: Select all

{| class="wikitable collapsible collapsed"
! Title
|-
| content
|}
- Yascob99 =)
yoyoyo5678
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yoyoyo5678 »

I know it is a bit late but regarding the coloured illustrations - I think the reader will love it if you instead of removing them you will add the translated text of the text which is written there.

I'm suggesting it - since the purpose of translation and the clean-up is for the readers' enjoyment.
Link to my user on B-T
RikiNutcase
Project Translator

Post by RikiNutcase »

yoyoyo5678 wrote:I know it is a bit late but regarding the coloured illustrations - I think the reader will love it if you instead of removing them you will add the translated text of the text which is written there.

I'm suggesting it - since the purpose of translation and the clean-up is for the readers' enjoyment.
I will not translate off format. Like i said, i only translate from the book not play with the book. We are already hurting the author by making this free to the public, pouring more salt on the wound isnt my cup of tea.

Return to “Date A Live”