[YP]Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you buy this novel?

Yes
29
88%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
1
3%
No (Please give a reason)
3
9%
 
Total votes : 33

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby jn19930 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 am

Mytsy wrote:*yanks head left and right*Sorry for my beyond hope literal translation and that it may have caused hard-time reading it.


Sorry, if it may have offended you, but your translation did help out a bit because I could use that as a base for a rough english translation, by doing so, it saved me some time. Luckily the prologue was too long, so I was actually motivated to finish it quickly.

As for Chapter 2, I'll probably have it done in a day or two. This is taking much longer than I expected though :(
Spoiler! :
Location of my translated works:
http://pastebin.com/u/jn19930
User avatar
jn19930
Project Translator
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:29 pm
Location: WorkWorkWork

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby jn19930 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 pm

So for all those reading DanMachi, I was going through some edits with dammitt and we were confused about some terms we should use.

器用 - Pretty much how skillful one is. I translated it as Technique whereas dammitt went with Dexterity.
敏捷 - Pretty much how swift, agile, quick one is - I translated it as Dexterity where dammitt went with Agility.

I'm fine with either terms, but I felt that some may get confused with Dexterity and Agility, as it is pretty much a similar discussion as Wisdom vs. Intelligence. Should we stick with Dexterity/Agility or Technique/Dexterity?

Please plop up some answers so we can decide on it and add it to the terminology page. :)
Spoiler! :
Location of my translated works:
http://pastebin.com/u/jn19930
User avatar
jn19930
Project Translator
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:29 pm
Location: WorkWorkWork

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby Talinnilat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Dexterity means using your skills, especially your hands to do complex things, so the second (敏捷) should definitely be translated as Agility not Dexterity.

The translations I see for 器用 are skillful, handy, deft. Dexterity works but so does 'Applying Techniques' or something. Techniques by itself doesn't seem to cover it.
Talinnilat
Devoted Haruhiist
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby larethian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:19 pm

jn19930 wrote:So for all those reading DanMachi, I was going through some edits with dammitt and we were confused about some terms we should use.

器用 - Pretty much how skillful one is. I translated it as Technique whereas dammitt went with Dexterity.
敏捷 - Pretty much how swift, agile, quick one is - I translated it as Dexterity where dammitt went with Agility.

I'm fine with either terms, but I felt that some may get confused with Dexterity and Agility, as it is pretty much a similar discussion as Wisdom vs. Intelligence. Should we stick with Dexterity/Agility or Technique/Dexterity?

Please plop up some answers so we can decide on it and add it to the terminology page. :)
Talinnilat wrote:Dexterity means using your skills, especially your hands to do complex things, so the second (敏捷) should definitely be translated as Agility not Dexterity.

The translations I see for 器用 are skillful, handy, deft. Dexterity works but so does 'Applying Techniques' or something. Techniques by itself doesn't seem to cover it.

The first commercially available role-playing game is Dungeons and Dragons, which has Dexterity as one of its 6 ability scores. The Japanese translated Dexterity as 敏捷 in the Japanese version of D&D, so translating 敏捷 back as Dexterity should normally be fine. However, in the context of D&D, Dexterity is a 'superset' which includes agility. If one looks at the English definitions of Dexterity and Agility, and how 器用 and 敏捷 are used in Japanese sentences (see ALC), I would say that dammitt's translations of (器用=Dex) and (敏捷=Agi) will be more appropriate, in my view.
User avatar
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby jn19930 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Like larethian said, 敏捷 was pretty much the reason why I went with Technique. I normally would just look at that and say it Dexterity. I didn't want to use these somewhat ambiguous terms, which pretty much led to this discussion. But if everyone agrees with it. I'll stick with dammitt's version from now on.
Spoiler! :
Location of my translated works:
http://pastebin.com/u/jn19930
User avatar
jn19930
Project Translator
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:29 pm
Location: WorkWorkWork

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby Talinnilat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Noticed in Chapter 1 you had 'dondon' as unknown. I suspect it is '*tada*' from the context and it's on this list as one possible choice: http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/index/to/3

The 'tontonton' is likely the light impact sound of her feet hitting the floor as she runs over, but my mind is drawing a blank on what word to use: http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/browse/ton/
Talinnilat
Devoted Haruhiist
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby jn19930 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Talinnilat wrote:Noticed in Chapter 1 you had 'dondon' as unknown. I suspect it is '*tada*' from the context and it's on this list as one possible choice: http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/index/to/3

The 'tontonton' is likely the light impact sound of her feet hitting the floor as she runs over, but my mind is drawing a blank on what word to use: http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/browse/ton/


Unfortunately when I looked, the words are different (I replaced it in the reference to show the correct words), but I would assume you would be correct in the first case. And for the second, yes the tontontonton (which I replaced as totototo now, because I must have typed it wrong earlier as I checked up the romanization) is the sound of her running over.

It's not like I'm unsure about the meaning, but rather I don't know what words to use. For now, I'll be sticking with romanization for all the sound effects, just because I felt that it wasn't worth my time to look up all the sound effects (Especially if I can't find it in the jadednetwork) The time I spent earlier on chapter two just looking up sound effects was sooooooooooooooooooooo much that I literally kept stopping, which slowed down my pace constantly)

P.S Chapter 3 is completed as well, I'll upload it to B-T when I wake up tmr.

I hate to say this, but I think I'll hate translating the first two volumes forevvvveerrr. The pace is absurdly slow, the amount of details involved is insane (the author can pretty much repeat the same thing a few times) and it's painful to TL :( I apologize if my pace slows down, though I will still try to stick with my current pace.
Spoiler! :
Location of my translated works:
http://pastebin.com/u/jn19930
User avatar
jn19930
Project Translator
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:29 pm
Location: WorkWorkWork

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby Talinnilat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Cool :) I mostly was commenting because they were marked as 'unknown' at the footnotes when I was reading it today. Just marking it as 'step sound' down in the footnote there seems fine. I also don't think there's a need to replace them all at once or look them up, easier to use romanization to keep the flow going and replace when too tired to do more productive stuff.


Thanks for the translation. Tomorrow I've free time to get back to mine.
Talinnilat
Devoted Haruhiist
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby thatrandom_guy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for the translations, been hoping this would get TL'd for awhile now & don't apologize for slower pace of something your taking your time to translate for us readers, if people can't understand that and complain well f*#k them, simple as that. Anyway thanks again (:
thatrandom_guy
Kyonist
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby SAimNE » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:08 am

thatrandom_guy wrote:Thanks for the translations, been hoping this would get TL'd for awhile now & don't apologize for slower pace of something your taking your time to translate for us readers, if people can't understand that and complain well f*#k them, simple as that. Anyway thanks again (:

^agreed on all accounts. i was actually just hoping it would be like a chap a month and would still have been more than happy for it. As you can guess at the current rate my opinion about the translator is nearing levels of worship XD

in like a week i was able to go from expecting not to see it any time soon and being disappointed, to expecting to see it updated every couple weeks/months and being happy, and finally to being able to see chapters popping out in a few days and being so stupidly ecstatic that it may be causing permanent brain damage lol
SAimNE
Kyonist
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby jn19930 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

Sorry for the delay, but Chapter 4 is up now completed. I am quite busy these days (Preping for finals and the final assignments) plus I'm slightly sick. I'll try to finish the Vol before my finals start,which is in 3 weeks, or else you'll have to wait for at least a month, pretty much the end of April before I can continue.

P.S. I don't think I can finish them, but I'll try. The last two chapters is pretty much the same length as the first four chapter.
Spoiler! :
Location of my translated works:
http://pastebin.com/u/jn19930
User avatar
jn19930
Project Translator
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:29 pm
Location: WorkWorkWork

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby OculisTerrae » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:34 am

jn19930 wrote:Sorry for the delay, but Chapter 4 is up now completed. I am quite busy these days (Preping for finals and the final assignments) plus I'm slightly sick. I'll try to finish the Vol before my finals start,which is in 3 weeks, or else you'll have to wait for at least a month, pretty much the end of April before I can continue.

P.S. I don't think I can finish them, but I'll try. The last two chapters is pretty much the same length as the first four chapter.


Wow, those two last chapters are pretty big then. Anyway, thanks for the chapter and good luck with your finals.
User avatar
OculisTerrae
Reader
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 am

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby amores » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:50 pm

thanks for te translations, was a really good work. i think that is better continue with the names that you think are good, for example for シィル i took Sill because im familiar with the sill plain of sengoku rance (シィル・プライン), but the fonetics varies with the interpretation of the japanesse people, so to make a list of oficial names first we need the official romanization, like on the fan book. But Aizu really sound better than Ais T . T.

thanks for your hard work, good luck on your finals.
User avatar
amores
Reader
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby Sacredus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka had been licensed by Yen Press.
User avatar
Sacredus
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Postby cautr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:42 pm

That's great news! I'm quite surprised though.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
User avatar
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron