Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

SkyZenith
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by SkyZenith »

Until Maya kicks in with her omnidirectional hit skill. With no accuracy and just pure AoE.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Which is not yet revealed and so we do not know whether it even exists (if you maint her light magic she can´t really cover the Earth whole, so it would depend on many other factors).
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Actually it is: excerpt from the big ass piece from v8 from my last post:
"The apparent process of this magic first forms countless tiny balls of light floating in the darkened area, which are then shot out as rays.
The attack appears like a shower of lasers, but the power of Meteor Line has no connection with the energy of the light. Even the amount of light is irrelevant.
The essence of the magic lies in forcing the redistribution of light, where the coordinates, for light to be in, are set as little balls ,and lines are then drawn between them.
Anything in the path of the space the light passes through is modified as the light is transmitted:..."

Countless balls which can distributed over an area.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yet the lines can not cover all of the area. Even if it could the area has also its bounds. As long as you are not in a tunnel or building (as was mentioned) you can mke it almost impossible to deploy the area around you.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Making it also impossible to attack her :)

The strategy is flawed, since Maya would have to remain unaware of you at all times. The moment she notices you she can send light after your ass. And the only way you'd escape then is if the magic activation speed of your move type magic is so much higher than hers that it can bridge the difference between the speed of her attack and your movement.
Say you can get to 200km/h with your move type magic (pretty generous) that's about 55 m/s that means her attack is 5.4 million times faster than your movement.
That would mean you might have a small chance if it were a forest and you were a ninja.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Not completely true, she might be aware, but as long as she doesen´t have enough time to aim on your location it doesen´t matter, for example the chiba style of fighting might be useful. You of course have to change dirrections etc. If you got to your mentioned speed, than lets say she would need one second for deploying her magic, to deffinitely get you she would have to cover 10 000 square meters. Even if it took her only 0.5 second she would have to cover 2500 square meters ňot even mentioning how hight it would have to go for you to not use some magic to get above it). That is largely different than covering 20-80 square meters that a usual room may have and I sincerely doubt she would be able to deploy her magic on such an enormous scale, while covering every centimeter with the lines in such a short time.
Of course I am not saying, that you would completely avoid her magic this way, she might for example fire it randomly and sooner or later you would be dead, but in a serious fight I don´t think she would have enough leisure to just try it say one hundred times before she gets you, she would be dead long before that.

This is one of the possible countremeasures, it might not work for a long time, but if you combine it with some other diversions and tacticts and of course use your own atack magic then I highly doubt she can survive while using only this one of her powers.

EDIT: Or rather it would be 7854 and 1963 square meters + buffer + something a bit more as making perfect circle should be about impossible, but anyway than doesen´t really matter so much, the extent is still the same.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Well fine, but if someone is capable of that, they'd be invincible. It wouldn't matter what special magic they're up against. If the tactic is don't let them know you're there until you're so close that they're not able to activate their magic in time. Because the dodging you suggest still doesn't get you any closer. You say she'd have to cover one hectare, but she could make sure that her attacks are not directly at you, but prevent you from getting closer. And if you still get closer, the closer you get the less area she'd have to cover.

But if they're be close enough before she can activate, you're right. But again, that would make them invincible.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well firstly, if she only denied your approach you can just bombard her from afar, nobody ever said, that you would have to stick to using only the movement magic (or rather I said otherwise) and if it were to be a defensive battle she would be pressed into rather a tight spot as her main magic has little to none defensive qualities against other magics and wielding two magics at the same time (with this one) might also prove to be a bit trying.
And of course if she didn´t defend you would just have to approach her, though not in straight line, but as long as it would be unpredictable you might get pretty close.

As for the invincibility, I don´t think it would have any effect against Tatsuya, he can pinpoint your location in information dimension, where you are not really moving, so against him it would have almost no meaning and you would evaporate immediatelly (not even speaking about the fact, that even if you hacked him once or twice he can still regenerate and then evaporate you).

By the way, when I am talking about Tatsuya, would Tatsuya die if you destroyed his head? I mean, yeah, he has his self restoration magic which is ultra-fast so if you destroyed all of his body he would still survive, but how will the magic activate if you destroyed the brain?
bacon123
Astral Realm

Post by bacon123 »

The answer to your Question
By the way, when I am talking about Tatsuya, would Tatsuya die if you destroyed his head? I mean, yeah, he has his self restoration magic which is ultra-fast so if you destroyed all of his body he would still survive, but how will the magic activate if you destroyed the brain?
Is yes if Tatsuya brain is destroyed/damaged (if damaged is to the Eidos area then his self restoration won't work) as the magic can't be cast as the brain is dead/gone or damaged to a point where his subconscious can't cast the magic for him.
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

bacon123 wrote:The answer to your Question
Is yes if Tatsuya brain is destroyed/damaged (if damaged is to the Eidos area then his self restoration won't work) as the magic can't be cast as the brain is dead/gone or damaged to a point where his subconscious can't cast the magic for him.
Don't think it matters:
Volume 6 Chapter 2 wrote:The wound from the attack had already healed itself. Normally, even fatal injuries would disappear in a flash so long as his magic was active.
So he might be vulnerable when asleep.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well fatal is one thing, but what about for example instant body vaporization? He would have to stay only in information demension or something to activate the magic, as his body couldn´t really do it (as it wouldn´t be there).
abbad0n wrote: So he might be vulnerable when asleep.
I don´t think so, though it is mentioned that he can´t protect Miyuki from afar in his sleep I think he would wake up if he were to get cut (not even speaking about his sensitivity to malice etc.) and once he wakes up he will immediatelly heal himself.
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

Zuruumi wrote:Well fatal is one thing, but what about for example instant body vaporization? He would have to stay only in information demension or something to activate the magic, as his body couldn´t really do it (as it wouldn´t be there).
abbad0n wrote: So he might be vulnerable when asleep.
I don´t think so, though it is mentioned that he can´t protect Miyuki from afar in his sleep I think he would wake up if he were to get cut (not even speaking about his sensitivity to malice etc.) and once he wakes up he will immediatelly heal himself.
Magic being active, and magic being activated are not the same thing. Since it can be called on practically instantaneously, I'd guess it's constantly on (except when asleep, or in "link space" per Volume 10 Chapter 12).
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I don't think the sleeping matters specifically for the activation of the Restoration, because when Miyuki knocked him unconscious, he still regenerated, while unconscious. But I agree that destroying his brain would prevent the magic from activating. Of course you'd have to be really fast, because if you were to; say, bash his skull in with something blunt, by the time you were through, he'd be awake; you dead. But I guess that chopping of his head should give you ample time to deal with the destruction of the brain.
Although for those who have read the preview of v13:
Spoiler! :
He's not unaware of what happens around him, he might not be able to protect Miyuki from afar, whilst sleeping, but he would be aware of intruders. At least, that's what I infer from the notorious teaser we got
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No, I think choping his head off would not be enough. But if you had thrown couple of kilogrames of C4 right next to his pillow it maybe would have worked. Of course you would have to do it all with good intentions :) (because else he might feel your killing intent or something).

By the way throwing him right into the middle of a vulcano or something similar might work too. He might regenerate, he might regenerate even 1000 times for as much as I care, but he should run out of power once and when that happens he should die. As long as he is killed instantly the moment he regenerates he can´t really do much. Of course it must be a situation in which he will die immeaditelly (like couple of thoesend degree hot lavae all around him) and a situation from which he can´t get by using his second ability (well it won´t really help to cause the lavae around you to disappear will it? new one will instantly come). But in this way there should be quite a couple of such means.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

What I meant by saying "chop his head of", was that it would by you time to then destroy his brain. It would certainly take a few seconds to regenerate. Because if you were to gung ho about it, shot/stabbed/... and missed the vital spot in his head,....

I also don't know if lava would do the trick. His regeneration would at least buy him some time to activate mist dispersal, but your right than he'd still have no were to go.
Maybe he could deconstruct and reconstruct the lava as stone (which it basically is), although I wonder if he'd be able to that.

Or use Material burst to blow him out of the volcano, I figure that would be his best option. Of course the amount of matter he transforms into energy would be a lesser amount than he usually uses :D

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”