Rule Ratification: External Contributor Rules Version 1.0

Discuss all topics related to the existing rules and policies

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Vote to officially ratify the External Contributor Rules (Wiki) and approve from draft status

Yes - I read the proposed rules and vote to officially approve them
89%
No - There is something seriously wrong. I object.
11%
Wait - Please make some minor corrections first. I'll change my vote after it's satisfactory.
No votes

Total votes: 9

chancs
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Rule Ratification: External Contributor Rules Version 1.

Post by chancs »

Voted yes
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

I don't like the fact that the hosted project guidelines effectively make it open season on multiple translations. I would have said it's at the discretion of of the project manager and wiki supervisors whether or not "hosted translations" (effectively alternate translations) and linked translations should be added to the project page. This view gets close to going against the "all wiki projects are open" policy of the Contributor Agreement, but I would say preventing duplicate/alternative translations is ok, but that contributor agreement policy would protect the right to add "hosted translations" or "linked translations" for as long as there is no "BT translation".

Though, the fact that duplicated translation effort is rare without any rules against it means this really isn't that important an issue, and I don't think it's worth holding anything up.
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cloudii »

Cthaeh wrote:I don't like the fact that the hosted project guidelines effectively make it open season on multiple translations. I would have said it's at the discretion of of the project manager and wiki supervisors whether or not "hosted translations" (effectively alternate translations) and linked translations should be added to the project page. This view gets close to going against the "all wiki projects are open" policy of the Contributor Agreement, but I would say preventing duplicate/alternative translations is ok, but that contributor agreement policy would protect the right to add "hosted translations" or "linked translations" for as long as there is no "BT translation".

Though, the fact that duplicated translation effort is rare without any rules against it means this really isn't that important an issue, and I don't think it's worth holding anything up.
I suppose I could add a line that clearly states that external projects shouldn't upload anything until they get formal approval from administration (via contacting the Administration Page). Technically, the existence of the affiliation form does empower us to deny an external group from posting on BT... I think(?)

Other people's opinions would be interesting I suppose.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)

Return to “Feedback on Rules”