Recommendations?

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Recommendations?

Post by maqhusson »

So, I just recently finished getting caught up with Mahouka, and am now looking for some other light novel to read. I really liked Mahouka, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of other Light Novels (translated) that are like Mahouka, or just really good in general. I really liked Mahouka for it's plot and Tatsuya (badass and kinda overpowered type of main character). Any recommendations?
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
TriDent14
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Recommendations?

Post by TriDent14 »

I have only read Mahouka and Highschool DxD(stopped in the middle of volume 12 for this), and Toaru Index(read only volume 1).
So from what I know:
Highschool DxD- A lot of fights, a big world and a lot of enemies and powers- the problem is the huge amounts of echi and latter in the plot he started to get power ups
because of.... Tits! And tits can replenish his stamina too! It has a lot of power ups in the middle of the fights(he always wins somehow in the end because he gets
power up) so overally, Mahouka is much better but if you can ignore the echi and the power up things then you can enjoy it.

Toaru No Index- read only volume 1 so I can't tell you how it really is but it seems nice and interesting.

Chrome Shelled Regious- haven't read it yet but watched the anime and can tell you this- the main character is fking Op, probably even more Op than Tatsuya.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well I am personally searching for other similar series too, but to this moment without any succes.
Anyway interesting and largely translated series are:

Campione: a bit of echi, but mostly endurable and sometimes aven nice. About half of it are relationships and half fights.
Mondaiji tachi: interesting, rather light reading
To Aru Majutsu: interesting, but it seemed to me that it is rather slow (maybe because I first watched the anime and so knew what will happen) and there is little to no imporvement on the MC side as the story goes
Tasogare-iro no Uta Tsukai: Well completely different but has interesting style
and lastlyI started reading also Muskohu Tensei (Hikimori turns into superhero kind, well worth reading)

This are just the ones I remember, there might be also many other interesting ones, the only problem is, that many series have too much fanservice, to the extent, that makes it almost unreadable (like Hagure Yuusha).
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I second Mondaiji tachi.
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Madan no Vanadis, it's a brilliant read. In fact a certain character dies and yeah, that shit bummed me out for DAYS.

I am also looking for another light novel with op main characters so happy to see this discussion.
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Thanks for the recommendations~
I should have mentioned To Aru Majutsu No Index is already on my list, sorry. The MC in Index isn't as OP as Tatsuya, but he's still pretty OP, and I'm enjoying the series. It's also lengthy, so it's good. I also watched the anime, though it's been a while. Not sure if I should read it or start where season 2 leaves off.

I totally forgot about Mondaiji Taichi =/. I watched the anime and was very sad when it ended at 10 episodes.

I've read the High School DxD manga. It seems fine, but it'd be lower on my list because it's not as good as the other two above, especially because of the ecchi content, but thanks for the recommendation.

Might check out Chrome Shelled Regios and Campione, thanks~ Vanadis seems interesting too.

Not entirely sure about Tasogare-iro and Muskohu Tensei, but I'll take note of them since they were recommended.

By the way, I didn't see it listed and forgot about it until now, so I'll recommend No Game No Life. It's different, and the MC needs his sister to be OP, but it's still really interesting~
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Karu
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka!

Post by Karu »

I would recommend Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu(Legend of the Legendary Heroes) & Mokushiroku Arisu. Both are written by Kagami Takaya... :)
And if you don't mind non Japanese LNs, i would also recommend Moonlight Sculptor & Kill No More. :D

P.S: I find that all of Yu Wo's LNs are HIGHLY entertaining... :lol:
The Bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

LET JUSTICE BE DONE, THOUGH THE HEAVENS FALL.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, well I liked her LNs too, but unfortunatelly her series usually have one fault. Yu Wo´s series have almost always great start and then get even better, but after 5-6 volumes the quality goes down and the only reason to read more than 7 books is usually because you want to read it to the end, well it might be only my view though. Well Sun Knight has also an OP MC.
Ayame
Project Translator

Post by Ayame »

There is nothing better than Yagami Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma. He is a total bad-ass who is not shy of getting his hands dirty when it comes to killing people or beating them up to a pulp, rather it's a stress release. He's very powerful not just in terms of ability but also mentally, very few things faze him and always maintains a cool head in life and death situations.
I assure you it's one of the best reads on BT. :D
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... _no_Stigma
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Though that series is unfortunatelly unfinished (in japanese) and never will be. But I have to agree with it being good read.
Ayame
Project Translator

Post by Ayame »

Zuruumi wrote:Though that series is unfortunatelly unfinished (in japanese) and never will be. But I have to agree with it being good read.
Yeah, it's true it's unfinished but volume 6 ends at a pretty good point for the characters so there's that. What I like about it is the fact that the protagonist already had his transformation period from weak to super-powerful and you can see his evolution at the peak, there's no drama (for him at least) about being snubbed by cooler characters or being overpowered. He is the coolest. 8) The fact that he's a man not a adolescent boy also adds to the allure of the character.
And I will stop now before it gets annoying :lol: . Happy reading with whatever you choose!
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Legend of the Legendary Heroes doesn't seem to be up my alley, but I might check it out later on. The other three seem a bit better for me personally, thanks.

I'm probably going to add Sun Knight to my list too.

Don't worry Ayame, you're not annoying. As for Kaze no Stigma, I've watched the anime and found it to be awesome, I might read the Light Novels because I liked it, but probably after the others that I haven't read/watched. I was sad when I found out that it wouldn't be finished, but can't do anything about it :| .

Again, thank you all for giving recommendations, I have a few that I am starting now.

New recommendations are always welcome~ these ones will only last so long before I''m done.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
japzone
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by japzone »

I'm surprised nobody has recommended Log Horizon. Very similar story telling style to Mahouka in how it focuses more on how the world around the characters works and how the characters interact with the world, rather than some pure Action/Follow the MC story. While Mahouka is a near future sci-fi/magic series, Log Horizon is a fantasy series where the characters are sucked into the game they play by unknown means. And before you go comparing it to the likes of .hack// and SAO, unlike those series Log Horizon doesn't take place in a VRMMO, and the characters aren't focused on getting out of the world, but figuring out how to live in it. As any true RPG gamer would honestly not want to leave if they got sucked into the world of their favorite game. Not only that there is no threat of death; which may seem like a buzz kill, but if you think about it, In a world where no one can die what will humans do and will any morals be cast aside in favor of convenience?
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

I've watched Log Horizon and I enjoyed it. Although Shiroe is strong, I feel he isn't on the level of Tatsuya =/. Still Looking forward to the next season though. As for the Light Novel, I might put it off until I've finished some of the Light Novels that I haven't watched the anime of.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Ulrick
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Ulrick »

There is also Tokyo Ravens.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... kyo_Ravens

The translator (Lygophile) already yall volumes condensed in the Anime. But, the anime couldn't have the same interesting things as the novel. He is currently translating the 2nd volume which wasn't covered by the anime.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”