Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Imladir
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

Post by Imladir »

As for which is easier to calculate, I think it's the circle: you only have to know the center and the radius. If you want an hemisphere, you just have to add the top.
I you want a cube, you must have at least three points for the base plus the edge length. And since you probably don't want it to go in the ground, you have to define which faces are present.
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

Zuruumi wrote:Yokohama Disturbance II:
The flames from the explosion enveloped the hemisphere barrier that surrounded the vehicle.
My bad, I forgot about those lines, my memory isn't that great.

The reason I felt that it was a a square shape is because of some of the wording I found, such as;
Though they were unable to penetrate that wall,
And before this, when he was protecting Hattori;
Such as a shield to protect yourself.
Or a wall to defend your teammates.
and
shattered into pieces against an invisible wall that materialized before Hattori.
That wording gave me the idea of a rectangular wall in this situation. I feel it's still viable to think it was a rectangular wall, because I don't think there was a need to make it a hemisphere, so I felt he might not have.

As for what's easier to calculate, the Juumonji family uses spells that require a lot of spatial awareness;
The Juumonji Family took the next step to hone their natural talents in spatial awareness.
Thus, in my mind, Juumonji would have had to calculate the exact position of the barrier at the time. I think calculating the exact position of the surface of a circle or a hemisphere is more difficult, and since it wasn't required, I felt that he simply made a reasonably tall and wide wall. Since it was the NSC, I don't think he really needed the hemisphere, so I had the idea that he didn't use a hemisphere at the time. He may have used it later because he felt he needed a hemispherical shape at the time. I may be totally wrong about how his magic works though.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, well propably both options are valid. Anyway, as far as computers go calculating the position of surface of a cube is much easier than doing the same for a hemispere, but I think this might be different for human brain, which is quite unacustomed to rectangular objects (or rather enything with right angles) while on the other hand a circle or a sphere is rather easy for it.

By the way, were all of the quotes him using the phalanx? Wasn´t it just a plain barier? And well, I think even mages on the NSC level should be clever enough not to atack him to the sheild and try some atacks from his sides or from behind, therefore he would deffinitely need something that defends him from all directions.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Hell, in the anime he even made the wall so tiny when he attacked, that if an opponent would have stuck his arm out, he would have punched Katsuto, using Katsuto's own speed.
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

I personally am not very experienced with calculating the area either shape would take in real life, but I still think I'd rather work with rectangular objects rather than spherical ones. Maybe it's just me.

As for the quotes, the first one I used was regarding the Phalanx if I remember correctly, the second and third are about the regular barrier for Hattori. However, as the fourth quote says, the Juumonji family specializes in area of effect spells that require high levels of spatial awareness, so I believe that the barrier would work on a similar manner to his Phalanx. Also, those magicians shouldn't actually be able to see the barrier I'd think, because the barrier in front of Hattori was called an 'invisible wall', I think the Phalanx wouldn't also be visible to the magicians fighting against him, so they wouldn't know the shape of it and where they should and shouldn't attack. Still would make sense to try attacks from all directions, but they may have given up hope due to being intimidated by Juumonji's strength.
nr42 wrote:Hell, in the anime he even made the wall so tiny when he attacked, that if an opponent would have stuck his arm out, he would have punched Katsuto, using Katsuto's own speed.
I think it's supposed to be somewhat invisible, so I don't think they knew Juumonji made it smaller, they were probably to afraid and unaware. I don't see why he did it either though.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, well while I agree with the point, that it should be invisible, it is doubtful whether they couldn´t at least guess it (as magicians as Tatsuya many times mentions can guess what efect another´s magic will have by seeing the psions), and well, making it into such a small shield is as if he was asking to get hit :). If they weren´t so stupified, it would be only logical to fire a round of weak atacks generally in his way (which would have struck his legs or head). Hell, even if they didn´t hit as long as there were some fragments of stones or something like that produced it might just easily hit him. But well, this all is anime for you :).
shido
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

Is it me or this recent episode (25) does Tatsuya...
Spoiler! :
Slap or punch his balls in to activate his flying spell?
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

It was his belt but I agree that it looked that way.

Sashiko
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

shido wrote:Is it me or this recent episode (25) does Tatsuya...
Spoiler! :
Slap or punch his balls in to activate his flying spell?
What I hated more, is the way the showed "Regrowth", in Novel, there was dramatic picture, but in Anime, they showed nothing, he pulls trigger, and person is healed, such waste of moment =( Well, they did a lot of cutting previously, so it's nothing we can do about :evil:
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

And it didn't convey the pain he feels when he does it.
icehism
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by icehism »

ep 25 is the worst adapted episode yet tbh. This adaption as a whole is pretty bad but i'm just incredibly disappointed that madhouse can screw something like action up.
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Even in the light Novel, I don't think Tatsuya showed much indication of the pain he felt, because of him having high pain tolerance. That's why they asked why he wouldn't openly use it while they were in the helicopter. The next episode might explain the pain Tatsuya feels. I was more disappointed with Miyuki using Cocytus in the episode; the feelings she felt while she was using it weren't conveyed, and the ability itself was very underwhelming for me. Also, to be honest, I feel that the adaptation is okay. I'm disappointed because they cut quite a few character development scenes that I felt were important in the LN, but one of the things that I feel added a lot to the allure of Mahouka was the inner thoughts of the character. That knowledge of the world and characters I got drew me in quite a bit. It's hard to incorporate those, so I'd call it okay.

I really liked the Monogatari series for this; the thoughts that appear throughout the episode add a lot to the episodes for me. It's kinda annoying rewinding and pausing at the right time though =/
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
icehism
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by icehism »

maqhusson wrote:Even in the light Novel, I don't think Tatsuya showed much indication of the pain he felt, because of him having high pain tolerance. That's why they asked why he wouldn't openly use it while they were in the helicopter. The next episode might explain the pain Tatsuya feels. I was more disappointed with Miyuki using Cocytus in the episode; the feelings she felt while she was using it weren't conveyed, and the ability itself was very underwhelming for me. Also, to be honest, I feel that the adaptation is okay. I'm disappointed because they cut quite a few character development scenes that I felt were important in the LN, but one of the things that I feel added a lot to the allure of Mahouka was the inner thoughts of the character. That knowledge of the world and characters I got drew me in quite a bit. It's hard to incorporate those, so I'd call it okay.

I really liked the Monogatari series for this; the thoughts that appear throughout the episode add a lot to the episodes for me. It's kinda annoying rewinding and pausing at the right time though =/
There was. He had sweat running down his head i believe..
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

icehism wrote: There was. He had sweat running down his head i believe..
Sorry, I read it a while ago. However, it was Miyuki that noticed this and thought that it was significant because she knew the pain he would suffer. The others didn't realize the suffering, because as it said in the LN, he showed no extraneous signs of the pain he suffered; it was explained to them in the helicopter. The way the ability played out was underwhelming too, but I've gotten a bit used to it by now in the anime.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

No, there was pain, but it happened in a scene before this one. The scene where he revives members from Yanagi's unit.
The groans from the wounded ceased immediately. In place of that, Yanagi could hear Tatsuya clenching his teeth behind his closed lips.
But since they cut that scene, it would have been appropriate to show it in the scene they did show. And make Miyuki the only one who noticed.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”