Mahouka: General

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 7748

TheLaG
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka: General

Post by TheLaG »

SamuraiNCO wrote:I did feel that the second NSC was compressed too much and I would have liked to see that spread out to Vol 14. Hopefully there will be some side stories to cover some of the new events that were just summarized.
Well, I agree here, but there is also not to much things to show, and Tatsuya actually have less appearance in NSC, lets say, NSC is not the main par in volume plot. And a lot of attention is putted on Parasite plot, which is main one here. Also, Tatsuya is not participating, so nothing much to show actually. :lol:
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

TheLaG wrote:
SamuraiNCO wrote:I did feel that the second NSC was compressed too much and I would have liked to see that spread out to Vol 14. Hopefully there will be some side stories to cover some of the new events that were just summarized.
Well, I agree here, but there is also not to much things to show, and Tatsuya actually have less appearance in NSC, lets say, NSC is not the main par in volume plot. And a lot of attention is putted on Parasite plot, which is main one here. Also, Tatsuya is not participating, so nothing much to show actually. :lol:
I believe the author himself said that there'd be some side stories for this arc. That's what I recall at least.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Minru »

I got the impression from what Subaru said just before the mirage bat finals that tatsuya managed a second year of having the players he was in charge of being undefeated except by each other.

engineers from other schools must be crying bitter tears by now.
Shuzero
Favourite Light Novel: Highschool DxD
Oreshura
Date A Live
Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukanai (Haganai)
Shinmai maou no Keiyakusha

Post by Shuzero »

I'm not sure whether this has been asked or not, but until which volume does the anime end at?
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Shuzero wrote:I'm not sure whether this has been asked or not, but until which volume does the anime end at?
Anime is 1-4, volume 5 is not covered in anime, and volume 6-7 is ending.
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

Shuzero wrote:I'm not sure whether this has been asked or not, but until which volume does the anime end at?
If you have time, I'd highly recommend reading the novels from the beginning; the adaptation wasn't very good in my opinion. The only volumes I'd personally skip would be 1 and 2, but I read those too.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I started reading 1 and 2 and then skipped a whole part (later read it though), but I came from reading the manga which I think is superior to the anime.
I guess you'll have to see if the first 2 aren't too boring, since you have a lot of "secret/forbidden" knowledge from the anime.
But I agree starting beyond the 3rd volume leaves you with too few information. The anime went really fast through the NSC so there's a lot to know there still.
Shuzero
Oreshura
Date A Live

Post by Shuzero »

maqhusson wrote:
If you have time, I'd highly recommend reading the novels from the beginning; the adaptation wasn't very good in my opinion. The only volumes I'd personally skip would be 1 and 2, but I read those too.
Are there any major differences between the light novel and adaptation?
Lampoon
Astral Realm

Post by Lampoon »

Shuzero wrote: Are there any major differences between the light novel and adaptation?
In general, the anime adaptation of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, like virtually every anime adaptation, condensed and reworked a lot of scenes from the light novel version, resulting in an inferior work.

Mayumi's first encounter with Tatsuya, Leo's astute observation about Tatsuya's statement about cardinal codes, Azusa's realization about Tatsuya's identity, Suzune's escape from attempted kidnap and random... One could probably nitpick each episode with several such examples, beyond these examples taken off the top of my head.

The aforementioned abridgment and rearrangement of scenes, combined with the omitted info dumps and characters' thoughts, makes the anime adaptation an insufficiently rich depiction of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, at least when compared to the light novel.

Well, this is my opinion.
chowbish
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by chowbish »

Shuzero wrote:Are there any major differences between the light novel and adaptation?
From memory, I think the summer vacation and the presidential election would be the major stuff that was completely skipped. Those two side stories should have at least been part of the adaptation.
Haxton Fale
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haxton Fale »

Tons of content left unsaid, even when taking into account Yoku Wakaru Mahouka, thanks to which many viewers who don't know the details from novels are left in the dark. Whatever is left is said through ridiculous exposure monologues.
Volume 5 is omitted in its entirety. From the episode count I'm guessing that Yokohama Disturbance has gotten ridiculously little space - something like six episodes for two volumes. And I think they turned up Miyuki's crazy.
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Shuzero wrote: Are there any major differences between the light novel and adaptation?
Well, In general, no, but there are a lot of small details which are not covered, or covered poorly. For example inner dialogs, some Miyuki x Tatsuya interactions are pale compared adaptations and LN, actually, Manga is good here, some texts are out, but the atmosphere is very close, but anime, they remover to much small details =)
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

What I missed the most were Tatsuya´s inner monologues. That was often the funniest part :). Well I would say, that the anime wasn´t bad as long as you considered it to be something like a ilustrations to the LNs, but if you saw only the anime it was quite poor quality.
Well that is to be expected, the best thing about MKnR is the fact, that (ommiting basic concept that there is magic, however not magic techniques themselves) almost everything is fairly logical, to a level, which I have yet to meet even in other geners (like sci-fi). That however means, that there are heaps of foreshadowing, and informations, that are hard, or completely impossible to include into anime.
Well as far as reading after watching anime goes, I don´t know about 1st and 2nd volumme, but the Nine School Competition is deffinitely worth it. Lots of things were skipped there and also I have reread this part several times myself, so I can tell you, that even if you know how this will end it will be interesting.
Haxton Fale
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haxton Fale »

Zuruumi wrote:there are heaps of foreshadowing, and informations, that are hard, or completely impossible to include into anime.
I would actually claim otherwise - it might be a lot easier to "build" a scene using graphic tools to invoke much subtler foreshadowing and all kinds of hints than in text.
Anime had multiple faults that included trying to be overly ambitious (7 volumes in two cours? Even if they decided to omit v5 it's definitely too much), noticeably low budget/animation quality (try to keep track of the way how Third High's emblem looks during the Nine Schools Competition), and omitting a whole lot of (relevant) content.
Shuzero
Oreshura
Date A Live

Post by Shuzero »

Will volume 14 be the last installment for Mahouka?

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”