Mahouka: Format & Style

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Re: Mahouka: Format & Style

Post by Rohan123 »

Anywhere I see more than 3-period ellipses, I change them to 3, unless the project guidelines specify otherwise.
The_Great_Galendo
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The_Great_Galendo »

I'm planning on taking out some of the unnecessary in-text abbreviation/subscript pairs. Basically, any abbreviation that doesn't occur sufficiently many times I'm planning on expanding to its non-abbreviated form. For instance, Vol. 7 Ch. 12 has both BC and S&D as in-text abbreviations for 'biochemical' and 'search and destroy', with footnotes explaining what they're short for, when it would be much cleaner to just use the full terms without footnotes.

The abbreviations I'm not sure about whether to expand or not are BS (Born-Specialized, as in, "Tatsuya is a born-specialized magician") and SB (Spirit Body). On one hand, they appear multiple times, so there's an argument for keeping them. On the other hand, they're rather spread out -- BS probably gets used about twice a book, on average; SB gets used somewhat more -- and I remember that when first reading I got these two abbreviations mixed up with some frequency. So it might be better to do without them.

I can't remember with complete certainty whether the two abbreviations are ever used in the original Japanese, though if memory serves they're not. But I want to get people's opinions before I actually make any changes to BS and/or SB.
gradient
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by gradient »

i think it's ok to take out the abreviations for SB and BS.
i've read all the volumes and still keep messing that up.
The quantity and quality does not matter... make it big, and make plenty of it.
Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

The_Great_Galendo wrote:I'm planning on taking out some of the unnecessary in-text abbreviation/subscript pairs. Basically, any abbreviation that doesn't occur sufficiently many times I'm planning on expanding to its non-abbreviated form. For instance, Vol. 7 Ch. 12 has both BC and S&D as in-text abbreviations for 'biochemical' and 'search and destroy', with footnotes explaining what they're short for, when it would be much cleaner to just use the full terms without footnotes.

The abbreviations I'm not sure about whether to expand or not are BS (Born-Specialized, as in, "Tatsuya is a born-specialized magician") and SB (Spirit Body). On one hand, they appear multiple times, so there's an argument for keeping them. On the other hand, they're rather spread out -- BS probably gets used about twice a book, on average; SB gets used somewhat more -- and I remember that when first reading I got these two abbreviations mixed up with some frequency. So it might be better to do without them.

I can't remember with complete certainty whether the two abbreviations are ever used in the original Japanese, though if memory serves they're not. But I want to get people's opinions before I actually make any changes to BS and/or SB.
From my understanding, the abbreviations are left in there because that's how they show up in the original text and should be left alone. That's why there's subscript telling you what they mean.

It's not like they go around using the full name of CAD either.

Edit: Also, SB aside, when you consider the real world definition of "BS" and apply it here, the "Born Specialized" phrase sounds like it was phrased that way on purpose to take advantage of the double meaning. Haruka being offended by the designation "BS Magician" is a lot more understanding if you read it as Bull S*** Magician.
Hartfilia
Astral Realm

Post by Hartfilia »

A question for the translators/for people who know the reason behind this...

I was wondering why after certain sentences, there seems to be a symbol, " (!) " that follows? I'm kind of confused. Is that supposed to have some sort of special meaning? Like, does it stand for something in particular? Is it something that I should take note of, or is it an unsure translation? Or are the translators just bookmarking that scene for future reference? Does anyone know?

Starts at Chapter 3 of the 1st volume, so I've tried "searching" up for that symbol in the other volumes, and quite a few popped up as well. Can anyone explain to me the reason behind this please? Thank you!
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

I am not completely sure whether this is the case in all instances, but mostly it means, that there are commentaries in the text (they are hidden and you can see them for example in edit page).
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Zuruumi wrote:I am not completely sure whether this is the case in all instances, but mostly it means, that there are commentaries in the text (they are hidden and you can see them for example in edit page).
Completely incorrect. If you have no idea, do not speculate and use misleading words like "mostly."

The bracketed question and exclamation marks were used (or rather, overused) by the author in the original Japanese text, hence they were retained in the translation.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

¨That was not a speculation. I used mostly because this is the case in other series, and the bracketed exclamation mark really shows up if you include a hidden comment.
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Concerning (!) and (?) in the text.

In the parts that I have translated, I have found (!) or (?) after clauses. The author uses them to provide subtext.

i.e. Volume 10, chapter 10. That being said, by February, even the first years were used to it, so while their hands moved briskly, they could chat with their classmates using the locker next to them and also feel less ill at ease(?) with the underwear clad bodies of their classmates.--the author is putting a ? for the clause but not the whole sentence.

Sashiko

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”