Feedback Wanted: Editing Tool

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

dteviot
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Feedback Wanted: Editing Tool

Post by dteviot »

Hi,

I've created an Add-on for Firefox that I think is helpful for doing "Drive by Edits" for Light Novels.
While the Baka-Tsuki site supports On-Line editing of content by anyone, many of the other sites that host Light Novel translations don't.
This Add-on adds this functionality.
So, while browsing a chapter in Firefox, you can apply edits directly to the page.
i.e. If you notice a spelling or grammar error, you can edit the page then and there.
Obviously, the change is only applied to copy of the page in your browser, not the page on the web site. But, when you finish reading the chapter, with just a couple of mouse clicks load ALL the edits into your clipboard, so they can be emailed to the web site's owner. Or posted in a response. Or however you want to send them to owner.

What I'm hoping for is:
  • To get people to use this Add-on
  • Advice on how to make it better. (I reserve the right to not implement if I think it's going to be more work than I can handle.)
  • To get "Word of Mouth" advertising of the Add-on, to make more people aware of it, so more people will use it (and take the opportunity to improve the translations that are out there.)
Steps for installing the Add-on are:
  1. Start Firefox
  2. Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... or/?src=ss
  3. Click on the "Add to Firefox" button.
To Use the Add-on
  1. Start Firefox
  2. Browse to a web page you want to read.
  3. When you notice an error:
    • Select the text (Left click on the text and drag the mouse to highlight the text.)
    • Right click mouse, Select "Drive By Editor" in the menu, then option "Add/Delete/Replace" text.
    • If Add or Modify is selected, type the new text into the edit box that appears, then click apply.
  4. Continue reading page.
  5. When finished reading page, Right click anywhere on page, Select "Drive by Editor", then "Copy edits to clipboard".
    This will save all the edits you've made to the clipboard, so you can then paste the into your email program, or even a "comment" edit box on the web page itself. Or, you can search the document for the text {(edit)} and copy just the changes if you want.
Lunar Vitae
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Re: Feedback Wanted: Editing Tool

Post by Lunar Vitae »

Oooh, I'm very interested in this. I'll need to add this on my desktop and try it.

Is it safe to assume this works on ANY web page? I'm thinking this would be incredibly useful in day-to-day browsing; come across any glaring errors, wham-bam Add-on action, and submit feedback with the edits copied.
Feel free to contact me here, on Discord (#5703), or on the wiki (Leviticus)!

Join our Discord!

Current Projects:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Project Manager, Editor)
dteviot
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Feedback Wanted: Editing Tool

Post by dteviot »

Lunar Vitae wrote:Is it safe to assume this works on ANY web page?
It will work on any web page that has not disabled the ability to select text on the page.
Or, in other words, it will work on nearly all web pages. Except for the ones where the owner has changed the text select behaviour.
So far, the only site I've seen it not work on is fanfiction.net.
While I could make it work, that has legal issues with DCMA.

Return to “Developers and Code”