PuiPui! Chapter Updates

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Vaelis
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: PuiPui! Chapter Updates

Post by Vaelis »

Akirasav wrote:Also, I assume the brackets Vaelis added to Ch. 2 are used commonly in Japanese to indicate "internal dialog/thoughts."
I don't think it's commonly used in Japanese but in the Puipui novel they use brackets.
And since some thoughts don't have brackets, I think that we should keep the difference (or are they mistranslation?)

Thought with brackets -> brackets
Thought without brackets -> italics
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

Vaelis wrote: Thought with brackets -> brackets
Thought without brackets -> italics
Sounds good.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the author wrote the novel this way?
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

That's alot of posts since I went to bed O_o

As for the *** thingy, I know the novel didn't have them, I just used them for me to figure out easily where the spacings for separations were, in case I needed to go back and edit something. But yeah, I guess I could just do a CTRL+F to look for the keywords :D

For the butler, the text is ニコライ, and I thought that would make it Nicolai, but upon a japanese wikipedia search, I came across a guy who's name was Nicholai Though it's also true Nikolai seems more russian...hmmm I'm good with either one actually, but I think you're right, it should be changed to one of these.

As for the "thoughts," I've been struggling with how to write them, because sometimes I'd forget to go back an Italicize them in the text, etc, because the copy paste method doesn't copy the italics over as well. But I finally settled for using "( and )" for the thoughts, but are we going to be using "[ and ]" from here on? It's fine with me, and it does look better than the parenthesis actually. (though the author uses parenthesis, not brackets)

As for why the author wrote the novel in...what way? Using parenthesis for thoughts? Honestly, I haven't really seen Japanese "italics" in a novel yet, though I haven't read too many either. So maybe they use brackets, etc....also, I have a question:

When they talk on the phone, usually the one on the side opposite the main character, (example: the setting is in Jin's room, and Sierra calls for Pizza, the pizza place has this format:) The quotations change. Normally, it's brackets, like: [blah blah blah] to indicate spoken dialogue. But for the phone call, they double the brackets, to show the voice is scratchy, or that kind of rough feel as it is being transmitted, and they use [[blah blah]], but we just use "" no matter what, so is it fine to keep it like that, or....?

Going to be translating next part soon. 14 pages actually, so I'll do 7 this sitting, and then 7 later in the evening. That should be chapter 3. Then 4 is done, and Trabius is already signed up for 5, so I think I'll start Volume 2 chapter 2 next, as T's speed is faster than mine, if he plans on continuing that is.

555 Trabius!
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

I mistakenly said brackets when I was really talking about parenthesis. An important distinction.

It doesn't matter too much to me, so long as it is consistent across all chapters.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Akirasav wrote:I mistakenly said brackets when I was really talking about parenthesis.
Parentheses (singular, parenthesis)—sometimes called round brackets, curved brackets, oval brackets, or just brackets, or, colloquially, parens
Krikit wrote:As for why the author wrote the novel in...what way? Using parenthesis for thoughts? Honestly, I haven't really seen Japanese "italics" in a novel yet, though I haven't read too many either. So maybe they use brackets,
Usually they use nothing.
Balderdash
Astral Realm

Post by Balderdash »

Krikit wrote: Thanks! I was getting slow for a number of reasons. Mainly, well...it doesn't really seem to have too many people interested.
Long time lurker, but I just wanted to let you know that I really like PuiPui so far, and appreciate what you're doing. I have no doubt that once you finish the first book you'll find more people. The issue right now is, not a lot of people know about it, so (like me with several other books here) they're waiting for enough to be done to actually form an opinion on them.

Don't look at it as working on something that people aren't interested in. Look at it as a way to bring a whole new series to the attention of the public. :mrgreen:
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Long time lurker, but I just wanted to let you know that I really like PuiPui so far, and appreciate what you're doing. I have no doubt that once you finish the first book you'll find more people. The issue right now is, not a lot of people know about it, so (like me with several other books here) they're waiting for enough to be done to actually form an opinion on them.

Don't look at it as working on something that people aren't interested in. Look at it as a way to bring a whole new series to the attention of the public. :mrgreen:
That was actually pretty insightful...

I do plan on working on the novel more, however until after the 21st, most of my time is devoted to preparing for the upcoming exams. Currently though, Trabius has volunteered to do Chapter 5, but I'm assuming he's got exams/other commitments as well, so there's been little progress there recently. Just a little bit longer, ^_^
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

For anyone who checks this section of the Forum, Trabius has updated PuiPui Volume 2!

Currently, Volume 1 has been completed, and Volume 2 Chapter 1 has been translated and uploaded. Remember to say thanks to Trabius :).

I'm planning on starting Volume 3 in September, as I should have taken care of most of my prep stuff for the University applications by then.

Check out the story if your new as well. It's one that has really grown on me.
DuskL
Astral Realm

Post by DuskL »

I don't see a percentage next to the chapter so is that it? :shock: Also I enjoyed reading it even though nothing much actually happened.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

DuskL wrote:I don't see a percentage next to the chapter so is that it?
12%
Gloria~
Astral Realm

Post by Gloria~ »

Oh wow, Chapter 5 has been finally been completed! Woo-hoo!

*Dissapears to spend the next few minutes to indulge self in reading.*
tuatara1
Astral Realm

Post by tuatara1 »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is still working on this series or if perhaps progress has stalled. I've quite enjoyed what I've read so far and would love to see more. Thanks so much for all the hard work!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I wouldn't say it's dropped, stalled was a better phrase I think. I'm pretty busy with entrance stuff for Universities, and have to spend more time reading novels than I can translating them at the moment. It's not an indefinite stall, but it'll just take a while before the next part comes out...I'd say unless someone else picks it up, we're looking at somewhere around mid-summer 2010...volume 2 might not be done until the end of 2010...just a time reference. But I'm glad you enjoyed what you've read so far ^_^, I have too. If you really want to know what happens and don't want to wait for the translation, I can tell you what happens up through volume 2, but I haven't read the other remaining 12 or so novels, so that's not much of a spoiler.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Welcome to my world Krikit...

Currently reading Puipui vol 6, with translations all on hold until i read enuf of novels.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
wereborg
Astral Realm

Post by wereborg »