C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Post by b0mb3r »

damn it i feel like shadowheart avatar right now, banging the world!

baka baka baka
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

We all knew this would happen. I don't think anyone expected the entire series to disappear off the face of the wiki so quickly though. Good job to all the translators and fellow editors!

Edit: Ah, Kinny. You are forever immortalized as having the last post in the Suzumiya Haruhi forum. And it's a post with a very cute Yuki. Nice!
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

So I deleted some links to PDFs in the Haruhi and Spice and Wolf forums. Are we saving those forums for some reason? Seems like it would be easier to just delete the whole thing. (Yeah, yeah, you want to save them for nostalgia).
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Darklor wrote:You can believe it, it is, because (most) fan fiction uses unauthorized the settings and characters of others aka copyrighted work...
Fanfiction is still covered under fair use, I believe. Sure, it's legally gray, but FF.net would have been shut down years ago if it were truly against the law.
Kinny Riddle wrote: Oni, at least get that brief fan project back up, just for laughs even if it won't be updated anymore. :mrgreen:
*cough* Just because we never updated over here doesn't mean we didn't finish Vol. 1. We did.

If anyone's interested in seeing how Vol. 1 of the Genderbending project turned out, you can find us over at Animesuki. We're working on a visual novel right now.

/shameless plug
Beware the talking cat wrote: Far more illegal when it's adapted nearly line for line from a book.
I at least deserve a bit more credit than that, but it is indeed very true. Which is why we're now making a visual novel

/continued shameless plug
obakasan
Astral Realm

Post by obakasan »

You know what? You're ALL lucky!

Because the novels most likely be published in your country (USA, England, China, etc), but NOT in my country! They would never be published in my country :cry:

It's just sad that I haven't translate all of them in my language, and It's more sad that I would not read the tenth Haruhi novel, ever....

21 January 2010 is my baddest day of my life :cry:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

obakasan wrote:You know what?.....
Well, could be worse, like, the earth cracking up, tsunami, super vocanoes, super hurricanes, planet breaking colliding astroids, alien invasions, jupiter igniting into a miniture sun, attacked by the covernant, mass assimilation into a single giant rei
Ayami and etc etc etc.

Cheer up, have a cup of tea :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Heatth
Astral Realm

Post by Heatth »

obakasan wrote:You know what? You're ALL lucky!

Because the novels most likely be published in your country (USA, England, China, etc), but NOT in my country! They would never be published in my country :cry:

It's just sad that I haven't translate all of them in my language, and It's more sad that I would not read the tenth Haruhi novel, ever....

Don't worry that much. The novel are likely not going to be on my country either and I am not in despair because of that.

Remember, Google is your friend. Finding the the books on the internet is really trivial and there is few Hachette can do about it (or even B-T, for taht matter, so it is not their fault). About the tehth novel, giving Haruhi's popularity, someone, somewhere will translate is anyway and will not give a danm about Hachette. Even if not, eventually the official english verion will come up and will just needto order it to your country. Or stole it in the internet, your choice.

About the seitenkan thing. Even if it is not being updated, at last the first volume is complete here. I have updated it a few months ago. Also, I believe someone else was going to wor in the remaning stories.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Dan wrote:Ah, Kinny. You are forever immortalized as having the last post in the Suzumiya Haruhi forum. And it's a post with a very cute Yuki. Nice!
What are you talking about? I thought that section is still active. And moreover, why should that forum section be taken down just because the translations have? Discussions can still be concerning the relevant series, like future series, movies, plot discussions, etc.
All current alternative languages derived from our "fan-contributed-translations" are not affected by this letter, so go forth, be free, keep working! *whip the floor*
This wouldn't be too much of a problem for the Chinese-speaking translators here, as the Taiwanese versions are usually quite up to speed and so it's not as hard to acquire them as the English versions are.

However, if the translators are not fluent Japanese-speakers, then they might have to fall back on the English translation for reference. Ideally, in order to "respect the copyright holder's rights", they should refer to the official released English translations from now on, but the problem arises when the official English translation is seriously lagging behind (Shana), or doesn't even have any official English translation (ZnT). So I suggest these translators be allowed to request tlg for private soft copies of any individual chapters, though on condition they not distribute it themselves.

Of course, there's always two alternatives:
1. learn Japanese and import the novel yourself; or
2. learn Chinese and import the Taiwanese versions if 1 is unattainable.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Kinny Riddle wrote:
Dan wrote:Ah, Kinny. You are forever immortalized as having the last post in the Suzumiya Haruhi forum. And it's a post with a very cute Yuki. Nice!
What are you talking about? I thought that section is still active. And moreover, why should that forum section be taken down just because the translations have? Discussions can still be concerning the relevant series, like future series, movies, plot discussions, etc.
If i recall, they are currently closed for inspection... to not let anything against the rules lie around... So they will probably be released if they ever finish checking all the threads.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

At least the Spanish version is through volume 1, 3, and most of 4....and that's still up, lol...so you don't necessarily have to learn Japanese, but Spanish!
FNX
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]

Post by FNX »

I guess some people here know Spanish so they could take the Spanish version as reference for future translations, in Haruhi's case is all done and in S&W we did what we could so even us have to go and find a new source if we want to continue
La unica manera de medir la vida es por medio de la pasion de vivirla...
Subete
Project Translator

Post by Subete »

All current alternative languages derived from our "fan-contributed-translations" are not affected by this letter, so go forth, be free, keep working! *whip the floor*
In fact, Haruhi is licensed in French. by Hachette. The first book came out last summer. Maybe this part of the wiki should be removed too :?:
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

shhhhhhh the french won't care

baka baka baka
quethiril
Project Translator

Post by quethiril »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Darklor wrote:You can believe it, it is, because (most) fan fiction uses unauthorized the settings and characters of others aka copyrighted work...
Fanfiction is still covered under fair use, I believe. Sure, it's legally gray, but FF.net would have been shut down years ago if it were truly against the law.
I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice:

Not all fanfiction is fair use. Whether something is fair use depends on all the specific facts. Probably many pieces of fanfic would be fair use, but others would not be. The kinds of translations Baka-Tsuki hosts generally are not fair use, since they adhere very closely to the original work and do no more than change the language. To the extent people are doing so, I can't believe people would ever call a translation "fanfiction" in the first place. For "real" fanfic, you still have to look very carefully at how much the person has produced something creative and different.

In addition, real life is not just about what's legal and what's illegal. Even if there is some illegal stuff on FF.net, that doesn't necessarily mean anyone wants to do anything about it. Companies have to be careful about suing fans. This doesn't discourage all companies, but it is something they have to consider.

In the end, violating a copyright is not illegal in the sense of killing someone; it is only illegal to the extent the copyright owner doesn't want you to do it. The best thing to have is a signed document that says you have permission, but if you do something and they leave you alone, that can eventually become permission, as well.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I wasn't calling what's on here a fanfic, mind. Just pointing out that "all fanfiction is illegal" isn't true.

Return to “News”