Update on the translations

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Update on the translations

Post by Darklor »

EastN3 wrote:Is a series considered complete as long as the main series is finished? For example, Toradora' s spin- offs aren't translated, but it's listed as completed. Just wondering.
As sad as it is, it seems that's the case.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by rpapo »

Darklor wrote:
EastN3 wrote:Is a series considered complete as long as the main series is finished? For example, Toradora' s spin- offs aren't translated, but it's listed as completed. Just wondering.
As sad as it is, it seems that's the case.
Aren't fully translated, but yeah... Toradora Spinoff has dropped way down on my priority list, given the demands of trying to keep up somewhat with how Golden Time is progressing. But I have squeezed in a little bit lately. Just a little.
Warship
Astral Realm

Post by Warship »

Is there a way to ask for titles to be picked up again? not from inactive mind you but from stalled.
the reason I ask this is because stories with new animes get updated more frequently then ones that are older or dont have one.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Warship wrote:Is there a way to ask for titles to be picked up again? not from inactive mind you but from stalled.
the reason I ask this is because stories with new animes get updated more frequently then ones that are older or dont have one.
Not really, because everything is self-run by the community members. Look at BT this way: Translations are volunteered onto this BT Wiki site. No one is assigned anything.

On another note, that's not too much diff between inactive and stalled, since no one has been keeping track of what should be tagged stalled for the current projects.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

KuroiHikari wrote:On another note, that's not too much diff between inactive and stalled, since no one has been keeping track of what should be tagged stalled for the current projects.
On that note, it'd probably be useful if the side-bar on the wiki separated out the novels between 'stalled/inactive/infrequently updating', 'completed', and 'regularly updating' (where 'regular' is something noticeable, like, one 'chapter'/10k-character-commit a month or something like that).

Then again, I should just stop being lazy and write something splat up a wikipage with that information so I don't have to track down updates for my PDFs manually. :P
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

One really nice report which I wish we could get, though I suspect it would not be an easy one to obtain, would be "Updates to a Project". Unfortunately, the wiki is not organized into projects from a computer's point of view . . . only from a human's point of view.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

rpapo wrote:One really nice report which I wish we could get, though I suspect it would not be an easy one to obtain, would be "Updates to a Project". Unfortunately, the wiki is not organized into projects from a computer's point of view . . . only from a human's point of view.
Hrm...

Code: Select all

Grab http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Sidebar
Grab everything in the "Light Novels" section. Grab /\*\* (.*)\|/ from each line to get the base title page of the series.
For each base title page:
* Run the list-recentchanges query, with properties set of 'title,sizes' against the title page.
* Write out everything that has a size difference greater then an arbitrary value of 10k.
Have a human work out what it means.
It's doable, just inelegant. Would work like my get-all-editors-for-a-volume script I guess.

All edits of a single project is easy enough. Hit the project url (eg, http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... lade_Dance ), scroll down to the bottom of the sidebar and click the 'Related Changes' link. Then at the top of the new page select "Show last 500", "in last 30 days" and 'Hide minor edits' and you'll get a ton of cruft for the last month. You can look through that list and see all the major changes. The raw api allows you to control it a lot more though (docco: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Recentchanges )
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

denormative wrote:It's doable, just inelegant. Would work like my get-all-editors-for-a-volume script I guess.
The biggest problem is that because nothing enforces any particular naming convention for web page URLs, it is easy to wind up with missed pages. That could be corrected, of course, with a cleanup of the wiki.

I haven't written a web spider in a long time (since the 90s, I think).
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

rpapo wrote:
denormative wrote:It's doable, just inelegant. Would work like my get-all-editors-for-a-volume script I guess.
The biggest problem is that because nothing enforces any particular naming convention for web page URLs, it is easy to wind up with missed pages. That could be corrected, of course, with a cleanup of the wiki.

I haven't written a web spider in a long time (since the 90s, I think).
How do you mean? Novel chapters of a volume not being translated or something?

There are some 'special pages' that may be already handling what you're asking about:

There are a bunch if orphaned pages that need to be cleaned up or re-linked: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 0&offset=0 (Granted, probably about 20 of them are my fault when I was running around <ref>-ing old series'.)

And way too many dead-end pages: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 0&offset=0 (Since all pages should be linking to the next/previous chapters and 'up' there really should be at least two links per page.)

But yes, the chapter names are a bit eccentric. Technically speaking it shouldn't be difficult to automate the renaming of all the volumes and chapters (of the 60ish volumes I'm PDFing, there's only half a dozen different patterns to match). And the wiki handles the reverse lookup of "what pages reference what pages" already, so it's merely somewhat more dangerous to do the reverse replace, not a technical challenge.

It's mainly a process issue: getting the approval of one of the higher ups to make the change; making sure people are notified before you do the rip-and-replace from underneath them (you don't need to put in thousands of redirects if you're doing this right); working out whether you want to handle the alt-language ones as well, or just english; and so on.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

denormative wrote:How do you mean? Novel chapters of a volume not being translated or something?
No, I only mean that the projects are not required to have consistent URLs. For instance, let's take my current project:

Home page: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... olden_Time

Chapter 1, Prologue: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 1_Prologue

There is nothing out there to restrict me to use "Golden_Time" or "Golden_Time:" as the prefix to the pages in my project. The wiki itself does not constrain me; only me, myself and I do so. I could easily have pages starting with "GT", "GT_", "GoldenTime" or "TiempoDorado". That kind of thing makes discovering exactly where a project is a bit of a problem . . . from the server side. From the client page, you are forced to follow the various page links and try to organize them . . . which leads to the problems you mentioned with orphan pages: they are essentially invisible to such an approach.
Lery

Post by Lery »

rpapo wrote:One really nice report which I wish we could get, though I suspect it would not be an easy one to obtain, would be "Updates to a Project". Unfortunately, the wiki is not organized into projects from a computer's point of view . . . only from a human's point of view.
Wouldn't that be solved using categories ???

Or maybe with the recent changes to a linked page function?? Since most of the chapters aren't categorized. :|
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Lery wrote:Wouldn't that be solved using categories ???
Wouldn't be a bad idea . . . except like you said, most of the wiki has not been 'categorized'.
Lery

Post by Lery »

It's actually a pity, since it's pretty useful to have a nice categorization of a wiki, given the way you can handle categories and subcategories it would also enable more comfortable "reader ready pages" :
we may have every book represented by a subcategory, with the chapter as pages and the project as a category and so when we click a link on the sidebar, we would land on a nice page using the category tree extension, not on the ugly, overloaded project page.
Like that :
For those who are just reading, it would be nicer. And since there would still be the project pages, for those who are translating/editing, it wouldn't change a thing.
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
jeof96
Kyonist

Post by jeof96 »

this might not be related to the topic.
But, Kira0802 what is the name of the girl in your Avatar? I really need to find it right now.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Kurumi from Date A Live.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.

Return to “News”