Courtesy of subreaper01:
Courtesy of denormative:
Denormative's original post follows:
As people following the Campione! forums will be aware, I've been writing a program to autogenerate PDF versions of the LNs hosted here. This is just a general thread to cover discussion of it, since it has monopolized the Campione thread a bit too much.
There should be all volumes of each series done, with the exception of as of the time of this post: Hidan no Aria (due to some formatting that isn't looking nice) and Baka to Test (due to the fancy html someone enjoys using that I need to make my program understand ).
The following series are being done because I'm reading them, so they should be kept relatively up to date:
- Campione! (duh)
- High School DxD (Oppai!)
- Hidan no Aria (Guns!)
- Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance (Blades!)
- Infinite Stratos (Misandry mecha!)
- HEAVY OBJECT (CAPITALS!)
A summary of most of the bits from the Campione-specific thread here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5221
Current goals of the output PDFs are:
- "Good enough". They're not designed to be the prettiest or most flexable, but they're designed to be quick and easy to generate and keep up to date.
- Usable on both a small (iPod Touch) and large (iPad) screen without fuss.
- Full-page pictures are actually rendered full-page.
- Internal references/end-notes work.
- File size is rather large. This is primarily because the images on the wiki are all rather large in size, and I'm not re-sizing any of them as I add them to the pdf. I'm not sure what the best solution for this is, but I think in the long term I'll just have to add the ability to generate to different "targets" ("regular", "memory constrained", "no-images", "iPod-sized", etc) to my program to generate, and offer multiple downloads.
- I'm lacking translator/editor credits for everything except Campione. I've written a script to yank whoever's edited the relevant volume's pages out of the wiki (it's available in that forum thread for those interested), I just haven't had time to go through and fix them all up. Fixing bugs and actually reading the PDFs I'm generating are more interesting unfortunately. I'll get there eventually.
- Furigana. Currently it renders it as "main words(furi)" as per the "we don't support furigana" part of the css standard recommends. But it looks like I should be able to output it with the pdf generation library I'm using, it just requires some low-level fiddling.
- There are still some rendering issues with, one obvious one being in HS DxD there are long lines of "boostboostboost" written, like, a dozen times without spaces and for some reason it doesn't just break it at an arbitrary point and word wrap, instead the text flows straight off the page. Quite odd. I'm sure I'll track down the problem eventually.
- Generating something vaguely 'word doc' like: Basically to make it easy for someone else to make a pretty version of the same PDF, but without having to deal with the fuss of fixing all the internal references (eg, one volume of Campione has 120+ of them...). I've got a library that generates Open Document Format files (odt/odf), which recent-ish versions of MS Word render competently (along with LibreOffice and friends). It will just take some time to implement.
- Generating epub files: In theory you can create epub files directly from odt/odf files, and I also have a library that will allow me to generate them as well. In either case, it's a time constraint more then anything else.
Also feel free to point out any problems I may have missed. I've read through most of these volumes at one point or another, but with every change to my code to make some new markup render correctly, it's possible for me to break something else, so it's possible I missed an error when I do my quick review of them before I upload.