PDF Generation

Wish to express your thanks and salutations? And PDF's? Find your Novel Series topic here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

PDF Generation

Post by denormative »

Nevan's PDF thread:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=10525

Courtesy of subreaper01:
Spoiler! :
Courtesy of denormative:
Spoiler! :

==========================================================================================================================================
Denormative's original post follows:
==========================================================================================================================================

As people following the Campione! forums will be aware, I've been writing a program to autogenerate PDF versions of the LNs hosted here. This is just a general thread to cover discussion of it, since it has monopolized the Campione thread a bit too much.

There should be all volumes of each series done, with the exception of as of the time of this post: Hidan no Aria (due to some formatting that isn't looking nice) and Baka to Test (due to the fancy html someone enjoys using that I need to make my program understand :P ).

The following series are being done because I'm reading them, so they should be kept relatively up to date:
  • Campione! (duh)
  • High School DxD (Oppai!)
  • Hidan no Aria (Guns!)
  • Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance (Blades!)
  • Infinite Stratos (Misandry mecha!)
  • HEAVY OBJECT (CAPITALS!)
And I'm doing Baka to Test upon the request of arczyx as apparently the older PDFs are way out of date. Arczyx will probably need to tell me if a new volume is finished or significant edits have been made so I can regenerate the relevant volume though since I'm currently not paying attention to it.

A summary of most of the bits from the Campione-specific thread here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5221

Current goals of the output PDFs are:
  • "Good enough". They're not designed to be the prettiest or most flexable, but they're designed to be quick and easy to generate and keep up to date.
  • Usable on both a small (iPod Touch) and large (iPad) screen without fuss.
  • Full-page pictures are actually rendered full-page.
  • Internal references/end-notes work.
Some current "problems":
  • File size is rather large. This is primarily because the images on the wiki are all rather large in size, and I'm not re-sizing any of them as I add them to the pdf. I'm not sure what the best solution for this is, but I think in the long term I'll just have to add the ability to generate to different "targets" ("regular", "memory constrained", "no-images", "iPod-sized", etc) to my program to generate, and offer multiple downloads.
  • I'm lacking translator/editor credits for everything except Campione. I've written a script to yank whoever's edited the relevant volume's pages out of the wiki (it's available in that forum thread for those interested), I just haven't had time to go through and fix them all up. Fixing bugs and actually reading the PDFs I'm generating are more interesting unfortunately. :P I'll get there eventually.
  • Furigana. Currently it renders it as "main words(furi)" as per the "we don't support furigana" part of the css standard recommends. But it looks like I should be able to output it with the pdf generation library I'm using, it just requires some low-level fiddling.
  • There are still some rendering issues with, one obvious one being in HS DxD there are long lines of "boostboostboost" written, like, a dozen times without spaces and for some reason it doesn't just break it at an arbitrary point and word wrap, instead the text flows straight off the page. Quite odd. I'm sure I'll track down the problem eventually.
Some future plans/requests:
  • Generating something vaguely 'word doc' like: Basically to make it easy for someone else to make a pretty version of the same PDF, but without having to deal with the fuss of fixing all the internal references (eg, one volume of Campione has 120+ of them...). I've got a library that generates Open Document Format files (odt/odf), which recent-ish versions of MS Word render competently (along with LibreOffice and friends). It will just take some time to implement.
  • Generating epub files: In theory you can create epub files directly from odt/odf files, and I also have a library that will allow me to generate them as well. In either case, it's a time constraint more then anything else.
If there's any particular series that have PDFs that are out of date, feel free to suggest them and I'll see how difficult it will be to add them to the list. The difficulty varies depending upon how fancy people have been with their HTML markup really. HEAVY OBJECT took all of 15 minutes for me to create the template files for it's entire 3 volumes. On the other side of the difficulty coin, I would have spent at least an hour per volume for Baka to Test so far due to it's inline-images and fancy html markup.

Also feel free to point out any problems I may have missed. I've read through most of these volumes at one point or another, but with every change to my code to make some new markup render correctly, it's possible for me to break something else, so it's possible I missed an error when I do my quick review of them before I upload.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
swiftelf
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Too many.

Re: PDF Generation

Post by swiftelf »

First off thank you very much for doing these .PDFs! I appreciate it greatly, it satiates my ravenous appetite for books for a few hours, or maybe even days.

Regarding Image Sizes. The thing with image sizes nowadays is that most portable devices, such as an iPod, iPad, Kindle etc... is that they resize larger images very nicely. Higher Resolution images always work out better so having larger images isn't a problem really. Plus if it's too large for someone's device that is their problem not yours. However if the image is too small it scales them up and it looks like crap. When I was an aspiring artist and I was learning Photoshop, we were told that a piece can never be too big in width x height size, however it can be too small.

That's just my theory at least. If I were to get a newer iPad or Kindle, I'd like my photos/images to look nicer and having those bigger images is what that requires.
I call upon the wind, let it's raging fury destroy my foes!

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Can I request something? Please make Toradora PDF, the current PDF is using two-page model which doesn't fit me well... Thanks! :wink:

Btw, you haven't active for a few days, I'm waiting for Campione V 7 and Heavy Object V 4 you see :mrgreen:
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

arczyx wrote:Can I request something? Please make Toradora PDF, the current PDF is using two-page model which doesn't fit me well... Thanks! :wink:

Already my request list. :) I believe 'swiftelf' has already asked me to do this so I'm just waiting for my ISP to get around to actually giving me internet at home again. It's been ten days already, and may be another ten days due to the phone company stuffing up and not transferring things over to them properly. >.< (I'm currently leeching my university's net connection for communication here, so it's a little erratic at times...)
arczyx wrote:Btw, you haven't active for a few days, I'm waiting for Campione V 7 and Heavy Object V 4 you see :mrgreen:
Yup. See above for my general grumpiness causing that. :P I've got an assignment due tomorrow so I'll drag my code into uni with me (I try to keep my uni laptop relatively clean of distracting things, like, well, anything not related to uni...) then and hopefully generate/upload the relevant volumes here since I can't do it anywhere else. :)
swiftelf
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Too many.

Post by swiftelf »

Thanks, hopefully I can download it from my dorm that I'm moving into tomorrow. Otherwise I might have to ask someone to email me them, but I'll check that out tomorrow.
I call upon the wind, let it's raging fury destroy my foes!

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

denormative wrote:Already my request list. I believe 'swiftelf' has already asked me to do this so I'm just waiting for my ISP to get around to actually giving me internet at home again.
Just confirming 8)
denormative wrote:Already my request list. I believe 'swiftelf' has already asked me to do this so I'm just waiting for my ISP to get around to actually giving me internet at home again. It's been ten days already, and may be another ten days due to the phone company stuffing up and not transferring things over to them properly. >.<
Isn't that a bit too long? :roll:
denormative wrote:(I'm currently leeching my university's net connection for communication here, so it's a little erratic at times...)
Same with me then :lol: (I'm using my own connection if it's just for browsing though)
denormative wrote:Yup. See above for my general grumpiness causing that. I've got an assignment due tomorrow so I'll drag my code into uni with me (I try to keep my uni laptop relatively clean of distracting things, like, well, anything not related to uni...) then and hopefully generate/upload the relevant volumes here since I can't do it anywhere else.
Understood. I'll wait patiently then :D
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Ok...

Campione! (exclamation mark required) v7 and ss5, HS DxD v10, Heavy Object v4 (or Heavy Objects, ero volume; seriously, three military-uniform-girls on covers and then... this? :shock: ), and the first two volumes of Toradora are up. Rest of the volumes should be up in the next half an hour or so, depending upon upload speeds and sleep requirements.

Also Toradora is using the older-style H3 headers for chapter headers rather then H2, so things might look a little strange, but other then a slightly smaller font and lack of underline it seems to look ok so it's not worth me worrying about working around at the moment.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Can I request a PDF for Nekomonogatari Black? The current one still has a lot of room for improvement I guess...
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

arczyx wrote:Can I request a PDF for Nekomonogatari Black? The current one still has a lot of room for improvement I guess...
Done. The new directory with the file in it is in the same shared folder.

Hrm... I'm missing the latest DxD and probably a few others as well, I probably should see if I'm missing anything else; the only one I've been religiously updating is Campione!
Electromaster
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Electromaster »

Very nice job with these. Keep up the awesome work.

Any chance you could add Ghost Hunt, Gundam Unicorn, Kaze no Stigma, and Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu to your to-do list? Haven't been able to find PDFs of them probably since they are some of the more older and inactive projects.
reimark24
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by reimark24 »

can i make a request for "Date a Live" PDF file?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

reimark24 wrote:can i make a request for "Date a Live" PDF file?
V1-3 should be available in the appropriately named folder.
Village Idiot
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Village Idiot »

Thanks for your hard work remaking all these pdfs, especially the older ones whose text format makes it extremely hard to read on a tablet.

Just a note though, Zero no Tsukaima 01's cover image is corrupted.
Village Idiot
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Village Idiot »

edit: Sorry for the mods, I'll just compile everything into one post XD

The following PDFs have corrupted images (as listed):

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 01 - Page 7
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 02 - Page 8, 9
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 03 - Page 7
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 04 - Page 2, 3, 4, 8
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance 07 - Cover