Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading "Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There" ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
0%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 204

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There

Post by larethian »

so who's DNK? :P

geez, being a sucker for fantasy, I might end up reading this.
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

larethian wrote:so who's DNK? :P
The B-T resident leecher's best friend. :D
geez, being a sucker for fantasy, I might end up reading this.
You really should. It is quite unique as a fantasy novel with all the military stuff and politics. The publisher even have free pdfs for the first few chapters on their site so it is quite convenient too. :)
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
garakuta
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by garakuta »

thanks before for your answer. 500 pages sure are a long ride.
just went to the project page, with 23 chapters for 1 volume this is indeed a huge project :)

and do read it larethian, sped through volume 1 yesterday and I have got 2 big dark circles with me now, but it"s worth the time.
wish I can help with the project but my english is too rubbish I might do it third times longer than the other would do. not to mention I'm not one with such dedication. :(
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

You're welcome. :D :)

Yea the series is so long that its length is both a blessing and a curse.

Right now RndCodeGen is focusing on the earlier chapters (prologue to chap 2) included in the free sample pdf on the publisher's site. I am not even sure if we can reach chapter 23 unless with more manpower...

Anyway do consider giving the project a shot. As long as your output is readable, likely there will be fans of the series who wouldn't mind volunteering as editors and take care of the writing. :)
RndCodeGen
Astral Realm

Post by RndCodeGen »

Doraneko wrote: No worries. Just take your time and enjoy the ride. I am sure you will be able to handle the translation work.

Do give me a poke if you need any help. :)
Thanks. :)
Btw I have just created the project page.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ught_There
Cool, nice work there.
Doraneko wrote:As long as your output is readable, likely there will be fans of the series who wouldn't mind volunteering as editors and take care of the writing. :)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that will be the case. :)
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

RndCodeGen wrote:Cool, nice work there.
Thanks. Really glad to hear that since I have wasted half a day on it :lol: .

Besides writing up the intro & synopsis, most of the time I spent was on savaging official illustrations. Better to make the pages more colourful and appealing isn't it. :D

But then it is a pain as you can't even find them in the novels. I ended up searching via a number of sources online, but the most useful ones are actually the flash banners on the official site.

Here is some background art that I didn't use on the project page or character introduction.

And here is the Tuka shot you can see in the character page as well as another one that I didn't use. These are slightly bigger than their project wiki counterparts and are good for avatar-making. :)

Image Image

EDITTED (reason = youthful stupidity and patheticness)
Last edited by Doraneko on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

oooh, elf in jeans. moe ~! kyuuun ~!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

garakuta wrote:thanks before for your answer. 500 pages sure are a long ride.
just went to the project page, with 23 chapters for 1 volume this is indeed a huge project :)

and do read it larethian, sped through volume 1 yesterday and I have got 2 big dark circles with me now, but it"s worth the time.
wish I can help with the project but my english is too rubbish I might do it third times longer than the other would do. not to mention I'm not one with such dedication. :(

I think no one would really mind a little rubbish english as long as it can be edited and is better than a machine translation ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Great illustrations. :D
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
garakuta
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by garakuta »

nice pics :) that's a beautiful one, rpg-ish landscape :D
are there more of them?

btw about that elf girl, I believe her name is Tuka, not Duka like everyone mentioned here. Duka is so not girly :|
and it doesn't have a ゙ on the テ to begin with....
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

garakuta wrote:btw about that elf girl, I believe her name is Tuka, not Duka like everyone mentioned here. Duka is so not girly :|
and it doesn't have a ゙ on the テ to begin with....
Oh SHI* how come I missed that... :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

***finds a hole and jumps into it***

For the background illustrations, sadly these are the only available ones. Well a new volume will be released in late June and hopefully they will have a equally good (and equally extractable) background for the cover art.

A bit of photoshopping:

Another one, with a smaller resolution. There are some minor differences too, such as the missing of the man-made structure near bottom left.

LGear
Astral Realm

Post by LGear »

Just saw the titles for the two spinoff stories posted on the Project Page, "The Episode of Steaming Hot-springs " and "The Episode of Thriving Business". I wonder what the deal is with the sidestories, and their story... :?:

Also, Tuka makes her sound like a bird :lol:
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

LGear wrote:Just saw the titles for the two spinoff stories posted on the Project Page, "The Episode of Steaming Hot-springs " and "The Episode of Thriving Business". I wonder what the deal is with the sidestories, and their story... :?:
You don't care about the plot or the story in obligatory onsen episodes. You throw them out of the window and enjoy the fanservice. :mrgreen:

As for the second one, I haven't read it yet so I can't answer you. But it is too bad that there is no update for more than one year. :(
LGear
Astral Realm

Post by LGear »

Doraneko wrote:You don't care about the plot or the story in obligatory onsen episodes. You throw them out of the window and enjoy the fanservice. :mrgreen:

As for the second one, I haven't read it yet so I can't answer you. But it is too bad that there is no update for more than one year. :(
Well, I never said I was averse to fanservice... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Though the sidestories can wait of course. Can't have dessert without the main course :lol:
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

wellis wrote:Alright. One more question, can you show the scenes where Rori Mercury, Leilei La Lalena, and Tuka Luna Marceau are met by the protagonist? Also can you post the scene where the Emperor realizes the invasion attempt was a failure?
Tackling this again as promised.

Rory:. The scenes on how Rory met the protagonists are scattered around intertwining with other plots. Not good for a pinpoint translation to bring out the character. If you wouldn't mind I have translated an alternate scene.

Lelei: I will see, but it is not at the top of my priority list

Tuka: The sample which RndCodeGen is translating covers that. (at least partially)

Emperor: The sample which RndCodeGen is translating covers that. (at least partially)

---

(The bandits just robbed a family who had been on their way to another region to escape dragon attacks.)
At dusk, the gang of bandits were sitting next to a campfire. In celebration of their success they were indulging themselves with the prize of their raid.

Among the victims’ belongings, there were not only valuables, but also food that could sustain the family for a reasonably long period. After filling their stomachs with delicacies, everyone was eager to lay his hands on the mother and daughter. But even for bandits, the senior ones could satisfy their beastly lusts first and enjoy drinking afterwards, while everyone else had to wait for their turn.

"Boss, seems like they are from the Koda village. The villagers are escaping from a dragon, and are moving slowly because they have so much to carry. Sounds like an easy target. How about attacking them? There’s simply no reason not to. Let’s do it!"

Seeing his subordinate talking so eagerly, the head of the bandits smiled complacently. This isn’t a bad idea. Just do that. The head initially shared similar views. But…

"Well, we don’t have not enough folks here."

With less than twenty men under him, a caravan as large as a village is too big as a prey.

"Just spread the word and get more people to join us. We’ll then be able to clear this big job - a big job that we could never clear in the past."

This also makes a good opportunity to recruit new gang members, the bandit head thought.

With enough men under him, he would be able to attack towns and villages. If everything went fine he might even be able to drive out a feudal lord and become one himself. From a bandit to a lord. From living a hand-to-mouth existence like every other bandit, to becoming a ruler. The bandit head was indulging in a short, ephemeral dream.

A bandit known by no one. For a person to meet his end while he was having a happy dream, is this a fortune or a misfortune?

There was a heavy sound of a head hitting the ground. Rolling and rolling, the head stopped right next to the fire. With a frizzling sound, there was a unique smell of burnt hair.

Biologically, when a person is decapitated, he still remains conscious for a few seconds. If this is true, the bandit experienced the instant when his head hit the floor. With the world rotating in front of his eyes, before realizing what actually happened, he had witnessed how blood gushed out of the lump of meat that was previously his body, and how the shaking lump eventually fell onto the ground.

With his vision darkening rapidly, he saw a goddess of death with long black hair bathed in his own blood.

Anyone who sees the girl always immediately thinks of "black": dark black hair on white, porcelain-like skin, black dress, and a pair of eyes that are as black as bottomless darkness.

With a whizzing sound, the head of the bandit cut into the air.

What the girl was holding was a heavy halberd. A halberd is an axe blade which looks like a heavy piece of metal attached to a long pole. This is clearly not a weapon for a petite girl to swing around. Neither is it something fit to be held by a girl in a frilled dress. It certainly defies logic further to see it being swung by a delicate arm as thin as a willow, and fingers as tiny as ice fishes.

Resting the heavy axe on her shoulder, a voice, "heh", came out of her mouth. While at the same time dead bodies of the bandits were piled up around her.

"Tee-hee-hee… Thanks a lot for tonight, Messieurs~"

The girl gently held her skirt and gave a curtsy.

From her appearance she seemed to be around thirteen. Her elegance and grace suggested good family background. On her face was a beautiful smile. But inside her iris were bottomless darkness.

"Th~anks a lot for the generous donation of your lives. On behalf of the chief god I would like to sho~w my gratitude. The god said he is interested in your acts and love to taste you~"

"Wh… what! Who the heck are you!?"

The atmosphere was so heavy that the surviving bandits felt like their stomach were being filled up with ice. But a few of them brazenly bluffed. The mere fact that they were able to make a sound already deserves praise.

"M~e?" The girl made a cute smile.
"My name is Rory Mercury. The apostle of Emroy the god."
"Isn’t that the priestess outfit of the Emroy Temple? Are… are you one of the twelve apostles… Rory the Reaper?"
"O~h, you know that? Tee-hee-hee. Correct answer~"

Right in front of the giggling girl, the bandits ran for their lives.
Jo… Joking… Must be joking… No way can we fight against an apostle!
Different souls give different screams. But all of them were trying their best to run from the jaw of death.

"No w~ay. Yo~u can’t escape~"

Rory jumped. Carrying a gigantic metal that could easily be as heavy as her, she attacked the bandits like a vicious carnivore. Heads were splat open like water melons, with pieces like minced meat being spread all over the place.

"HYAA… AAH… HIK…"

In front of a man who lost his balance from fear stood Rory in a relaxed face. When she was trying to lift up the heavy halberd, she tottered a bit, but still managed to raise it up in the air.

Her porcelain-like skin was tainted into red by spurts of blood.

"Hehehe… The God has said~, man ultimately dies~, and can never escape from it."

The axe blade swang down. What immediately followed was a final death scream.

Return to “Teaser Feedback”