Confused regarding some novels and how translations are done

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

MajorFoley
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Confused regarding some novels and how translations are done

Post by MajorFoley »

Hi guys, i'm still fairly new to this website and even enjoying reading a few light novels like highschool DxD and problem children are coming from another world, but im kinda confused with a few things, im just taking a hazard guess and saying PM's are disabled unless you fill some kind of minimum post rule so i thought i might be able to ask around here.

Anyway i first found this site while looking for the problem children (Mondaiji-tachi ga isekai kara kuru soudesu yo) novel after watching its anime and im confused mainly on why there are some later chapters being done instead of doing them one by one from start to finish (like all chapter 1 and then all chapter 2)? Is it because translators only own certain volumes of the novel?

Then there are ones like Shakugan no Shana. When i go to its link it says its stalled but in bold on another line it also says its active and currently being translated? I can understand 3 and 4 being skipped because of licensing rights i guess but if thats the case wouldn't that account to all other light novels too?

With regards to editors, is there a minimum requirement into becoming one? I mean i can't translate from Japanese into other languages but i can help check grammar and spelling if possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps answer these!
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Confused regarding some novels and how translations are

Post by cloudii »

MajorFoley wrote:Hi guys, i'm still fairly new to this website and even enjoying reading a few light novels like highschool DxD and problem children are coming from another world, but im kinda confused with a few things, im just taking a hazard guess and saying PM's are disabled unless you fill some kind of minimum post rule so i thought i might be able to ask around here.

Anyway i first found this site while looking for the problem children (Mondaiji-tachi ga isekai kara kuru soudesu yo) novel after watching its anime and im confused mainly on why there are some later chapters being done instead of doing them one by one from start to finish (like all chapter 1 and then all chapter 2)? Is it because translators only own certain volumes of the novel?

Then there are ones like Shakugan no Shana. When i go to its link it says its stalled but in bold on another line it also says its active and currently being translated? I can understand 3 and 4 being skipped because of licensing rights i guess but if thats the case wouldn't that account to all other light novels too?

With regards to editors, is there a minimum requirement into becoming one? I mean i can't translate from Japanese into other languages but i can help check grammar and spelling if possible.

Welcome to Baka-Tsuki~

Translators on BT claim ("register") a chapter to translate so work doesn't overlap. Some translators are faster than others, so that's why it seems like translations are jumping around.

Please look at this page to learn more: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ng_Started

The licensing policies of every series differs. This is executive decision. Generally, BT's administration considers whether it looks like a English publisher has the intention to continue translating the series. Kino no Tabi Project, for example, was licensed way back in 2006, but the publisher has no intention to continue translating further novels. For that reason, we have resumed translations on that project.

We like to give Publishers the benefit of doubt of several volumes. Even the entire series if the Publisher is serious about the series. At the very most, we would like to give as little reason as possible for publishers to send us a C&D notice.

FYI: Shakugan no Shana is stalled only because no one has contributed to the project in a year... xD no translators, you see?
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
MajorFoley
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Confused regarding some novels and how translations are

Post by MajorFoley »

cloud wrote:
MajorFoley wrote:Hi guys, i'm still fairly new to this website and even enjoying reading a few light novels like highschool DxD and problem children are coming from another world, but im kinda confused with a few things, im just taking a hazard guess and saying PM's are disabled unless you fill some kind of minimum post rule so i thought i might be able to ask around here.

Welcome to Baka-Tsuki~

Translators on BT claim ("register") a chapter to translate so work doesn't overlap. Some translators are faster than others, so that's why it seems like translations are jumping around.

Please look at this page to learn more: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ng_Started

The licensing policies of every series differs. This is executive decision. Generally, BT's administration considers whether it looks like a English publisher has the intention to continue translating the series. Kino no Tabi Project, for example, was licensed way back in 2006, but the publisher has no intention to continue translating further novels. For that reason, we have resumed translations on that project.

We like to give Publishers the benefit of doubt of several volumes. Even the entire series if the Publisher is serious about the series. At the very most, we would like to give as little reason as possible for publishers to send us a C&D notice.

FYI: Shakugan no Shana is stalled only because no one has contributed to the project in a year... xD no translators, you see?
Thank you very much for the info!

Return to “Manga & Novel”