Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Aorii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Aorii »

Not that more editors are a bad thing. I'm just taking up first-pass editing, and probably doing some sweep editing later on...

I'm still learning from other people's edits myself, after all (xD)
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

I have a slight problem with the tense used in the translation of the novel.
That's true that there are some novels written in present tense but usually novels are in past tense.
But in this case you're using a mix of present and past tense and it's really weird.
I think everything should be in past tense as most novels.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Hmmm, that one's been bugging me for quite a while actually... was talking to sharra about it...

I know writing in third person usually comes down to past-tense, and that's pretty much the way most novels are done. The first person POV here is throwing me off a bit...

in third person the narration is just describing what's already there, what just happened, etc etc...

in first person, you have the perspective of the MC describing what he is currently doing and seeing in present. So if you're painting the 'illusion' that the reader is stepping into his shoes, would you still describe the world about you in a past tense? But at the same time the MC is used to narrate at certain parts, to claim what others have been doing or just finished. So yeah, this is the current reason for the tense mixups.

[Edit: went to check out a few visnovs, you're probably right. Or at the very least, it does keep it a lot more consistent. Also makes the editing easier as I can stop worrying about which mode the MC is speaking from. Probably should have just asked earlier instead of pulling my hair out over this...
... heading back to edit a few chapters... ]
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Thanks for shedding light on that matter Vaelis.....

I knew it was weird that I kept reverting back to past tense however much I tried O.o

Also the registration page looks strange ....
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Sharramon wrote:I know what happens! But I won't tell you! MUHAHAHA! XP

Spoilers are always bad in the long run.
Y'know, it's actually rude to say that when you have spoiler hunters lurking in the background. Like me. :roll:

Yes, I actually hunt for spoilers.

Heh.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'll be making occasional appearances in B-T either as a forumer or as a reader from time to time. :3
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Endless Eight
Astral Realm

Post by Endless Eight »

I had a question about the story synopsis. The last sentences there says "The legendary novel made appearance with browsing numbers exceeding 6.5 million page views recorded at the personal website". What is this referring to? The website of the author or does it have some connection in the actual story?
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Endless Eight wrote:I had a question about the story synopsis. The last sentences there says "The legendary novel made appearance with browsing numbers exceeding 6.5 million page views recorded at the personal website". What is this referring to? The website of the author or does it have some connection in the actual story?
Just taking this from Jcafe, but apparently it was an online novel a while before it was in print. Reminds me of Kara no Kyoukai in that area.
Endless Eight
Astral Realm

Post by Endless Eight »

Enigma wrote:
Endless Eight wrote:I had a question about the story synopsis. The last sentences there says "The legendary novel made appearance with browsing numbers exceeding 6.5 million page views recorded at the personal website". What is this referring to? The website of the author or does it have some connection in the actual story?
Just taking this from Jcafe, but apparently it was an online novel a while before it was in print. Reminds me of Kara no Kyoukai in that area.
Thanks. I'll take a look at what is posted at Jcafe.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Actually there's even a voice drama project that originated from the Web Novel.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

woooo thanks for that~

just finished listening to first one and started #2, darn that was awesome, and Cradil's voice is a lot creepier than I expected.

also really nice to have a voice and tone in mind when reading these... =D

[Edit: Looks like we've already caught up to where the audio drama begins, which means... boss-fight time!!!] o(^^o)(o^^)o

[Blewin: thanks for the chinese source, it's helped a lot]
Daybreak Project
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Trying to get advice from Google translate is like pulling teeth
untitled.JPG
Wat? That is in no way shape or form what it means...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aorii on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daybreak Project
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Actually the first word is 'katana' in Jap, which just is 'sword' or 'blade' if directed straight into English. 使 usually means a person who holds some sort of position under the king.... but it also has the meaning 'to use'. Both together would be 'katana user', 'katana warrior' or 'katana wielder'.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Sharramon wrote:Actually the first word is 'katana' in Jap
Yeah just realized that part. The rest I knew, but sheesh... I stumbled across a Chinese-Kanji trap... ( >_< )
Daybreak Project
alexworld1516
Astral Realm

Post by alexworld1516 »

i just wanted to say that this novel is awesome, this is the first time i post here, just to show you that, personally i really apreciate youre work, ive read most novels here, but this one defenetly has me hooked, thanks again sharramon, keep up the good work ^^.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Thank you ^^

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”