Mahouka: TLC Thread

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Vaelis
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka: TLC Thread

Post by Vaelis »

Sashiko wrote:I just started rereading the Yokohama arc and noticed in the first chapter it says that Tatsuya would be joining the student council in January which he doesn't do. The original text says ShinNenDo with the first two syllables clearly meaning new year and apparently referred to the school year not the calendar year which was the translator's natural assumption.

Sashiko
*bump up the question*
I also think there is a problem. Tatsuya joined the Student Council in April.

The Japanese sentence is: そんな、本人を無視した交渉の結果、今年度中は風紀委員会に残留し、新年度から生徒会へ移籍することで、あずさと花音は合意した。

"今年度" is the school year.
"新年" isn't really clear since it seems to just say "new year" but since "今年度" was mentioned just before, I guess it implicitly implies "new school year".
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by seitsuki »

With all due respect to the enthusiasm of everyone who helps out, I have noticed edits across the board by people with no doubt the best of intentions but a less than flawless grasp of the English language. Sometimes entire meanings have been changed. Since most of the established TL/editors don't check back very often after a section is deemed 'completed', these often go uncorrected (especially in the earlier volumes). Could we get some sort of lock on them like Toaru?
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

So what's need to be checked?
I'll try to check it over the weekend.

And what needs to be locked? Will only lock from anonymous edits.
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by seitsuki »

I was just looking over some chapters I did and made the change back. No idea about the other ones. Just as likely it's a rare occurrence I guess, but I still think a final edit then lock wouldn't go amiss.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Apparently, the page permissions have been reset after server migration. I'm not sure whether it applies to all projects but for now, I've locked all Mahouka pages to 'autoconfirmed user' level.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

I wouldn't know for sure, but I read that there's an option to apply cascading protection, such that you would only have to protect the full text pages and it would apply the protection setting to all of the transcluded chapter pages. I don't know that it would work the way I think it does, but I figured I'd mention it since it seems tedious to have to protect each page individually. Though it probably doesn't matter here since the protection is already done.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Cthaeh wrote:I wouldn't know for sure, but I read that there's an option to apply cascading protection, such that you would only have to protect the full text pages and it would apply the protection setting to all of the transcluded chapter pages. I don't know that it would work the way I think it does, but I figured I'd mention it since it seems tedious to have to protect each page individually. Though it probably doesn't matter here since the protection is already done.
Yes, you are right, I totally forgot about that.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I've been reading the English translations lately, and the quality is pretty high I must say. Well done to all the translators and editors especially Drey, who did so much work and has a much stronger English vocab than me. A lot of apt descriptions were well chosen. Simply amazing. I also learned a lot from your word choices, which I could use for other stuff.

That said, I hope you guys don't mind, but I'll be doing quick fixes on obvious errors, either J->E errors normally arising from convoluted or advanced grammar, or errors stemming from J->C translations, or just basic English fixes of stuff that bothered me, primarily spotted and cross-checked when the text gets confusing or inconsistent, since I can't spend the time to scrutinize and cross-check every single line.

EDIT: If you have issues or questions to clarify, feel free to post.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

Thank you for your kind words, larenthian.

I just read seitsuki's post and ran a cursory eye over some of the earlier chapters that I did and some things were changed in a manner that I'm not entirely certain benefits the overall product. I welcome editors and readers to fix errors that I made (and they may be legion), but seitsuki's post bears merit regarding the grasp of the English language.

On a related note, perhaps it is time to settle this issue once and for all: For classes, are we using Year 1 Class E or 2nd Year Class E?

I will readily admit that the latter makes more sense in English, but the former matches the context of the native language. This is very similar to a line referenced in later volumes regarding the pronunciation of the 101st Battalion, where Tatsuya and company would pronounce the name One Oh One whereas English speakers would use the 101st. Given that some of the earlier chapters have been edited to reflect First Years or Second Years and I predominately use Year 1 or Year 2, this may be a good opportunity to help align the terms for uniformity's sake.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
SkyZenith
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SkyZenith »

This has been really bothering me, since over a year ago when the page was made. But I thought it was not really worth asking.

Anyway. In Volume 7 Chapter 12, there was this part that really made me awkward:
Spoiler! :
"Furthermore, all of that is condensed into an instant as it is transmitted. For example... In this situation, the time elapsed between Isori-senpai being wounded and Onii-sama arriving to use magic was approximately 30 seconds. Onii-sama used about 0.2 seconds to review all the changes in the Eidos. In that brief instance, the condensed pain that weighed on Onii-sama's mind is about 150 times Isori-senpai's suffering."
"One hundred and fifty times..."
A surprised gasp spilled from Isori's lips. He couldn't even begin to imagine that degree of pain.
In addition, Isori was also questioning whether he could master himself in the face of that sort of pain.
"The longer the duration of the wound, the greater the condensed pain. In order to erase an injury suffered one hour ago, the caster must suffer pain 10,000 times greater than the original."
Being an arithmetic freak, I thought something wasn't right so I checked. in 30 seconds, if you're casting at a speed of 0.2 seconds, then it is correct that you get 150 times the pain. But if left for an hour, instead of 10000, isn't it 18000 to be exact? Or going another way, it is possible to get exactly 10000 times the pain if Tatsuya casts in 0.36 seconds (I'll spare you the solution).

I checked the book and it really said 10000. Maybe it really is just me, but every time I look at it it just confuses me more. I can't read the actual whole thing, just the easy parts, so I can only interpret so much from the book, but wouldn't it be better if instead of '10,000 times greater', 'more than 10,000 times greater' would be put?

Just ranting. You don't have to think this seriously XD
kaie08
Mikuru's Master

Post by kaie08 »

SkyZenith wrote:This has been really bothering me, since over a year ago when the page was made. But I thought it was not really worth asking.

Anyway. In Volume 7 Chapter 12, there was this part that really made me awkward:
Spoiler! :
"Furthermore, all of that is condensed into an instant as it is transmitted. For example... In this situation, the time elapsed between Isori-senpai being wounded and Onii-sama arriving to use magic was approximately 30 seconds. Onii-sama used about 0.2 seconds to review all the changes in the Eidos. In that brief instance, the condensed pain that weighed on Onii-sama's mind is about 150 times Isori-senpai's suffering."
A surprised gasp spilled from Isori's lips. He couldn't even begin to imagine that degree of pain.
In addition, Isori was also questioning whether he could master himself in the face of that sort of pain.
"The longer the duration of the wound, the greater the condensed pain. In order to erase an injury suffered one hour ago, the caster must suffer pain 10,000 times greater than the original."
Being an arithmetic freak, I thought something wasn't right so I checked. in 30 seconds, if you're casting at a speed of 0.2 seconds, then it is correct that you get 150 times the pain. But if left for an hour, instead of 10000, isn't it 18000 to be exact? Or going another way, it is possible to get exactly 10000 times the pain if Tatsuya casts in 0.36 seconds (I'll spare you the solution).

I checked the book and it really said 10000. Maybe it really is just me, but every time I look at it it just confuses me more. I can't read the actual whole thing, just the easy parts, so I can only interpret so much from the book, but wouldn't it be better if instead of '10,000 times greater', 'more than 10,000 times greater' would be put?

You know saying '10,000 times greater' is to give an order of magnitude, not to give an exact number, and 18000 is in the order of 10k not 100k
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

SkyZenith wrote:This has been really bothering me, since over a year ago when the page was made. But I thought it was not really worth asking.

Spoiler! :

I'll check on this later. I believe this was brought up at one point but I never addressed it, sadly enough.

If memory serves correctly, the Chinese version might read "more than 10,000 times", but I will have to confirm.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Hmmm... I hope the wrong edits are not referring to me :(

On a side note, if you spot anything that you need changed Drey, I will be here if you need any help. 8)
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Not sure how many will notice this one but they say 1200 new students join magic high each year, the problem with that is that 1200/9 is 133.33 and that obviously makes no sense. Further more they mention that 200 students join each school every year making the total 1800 if my facts are correct.

Just wanted to point that out, not sure many people will catch it and fixing it would take far too much time.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

crisisavatar wrote:Not sure how many will notice this one but they say 1200 new students join magic high each year, the problem with that is that 1200/9 is 133.33 and that obviously makes no sense. Further more they mention that 200 students join each school every year making the total 1800 if my facts are correct.

Just wanted to point that out, not sure many people will catch it and fixing it would take far too much time.
Umm... no: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... _Chapter_0
The first, second and third highschools accept 200 new students a year. The other six can take another 100 each.
That quote's right above the line that mentions the 1200 new students a year.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”